BlackFace Super Reverb speaker choice

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

WholeToneMusic

BlackFace Super Reverb speaker choice

Post by WholeToneMusic »

I wanted to get an opinion on what your favorite speakers are in the vintage BF Super Reverbs and why?

The Oxford 10L6
The Jensen C10R
The CTS 10"

Thanks all.
ChrisGS

Re: BlackFace Super Reverb speaker choice

Post by ChrisGS »

I had a mint Silverface SR with stock CTS alnico 10's, and I liked it a lot. I swapped-out the speakers for Kendrick 10's, and I liked the CTS 10's much better...That amp is gone.

Now I have a beat-up Blackface SR that came with 4 different speakers, one with a ripped cone , so I threw those in the garbage , and got the Re-issue Jensen C10R's, and I don't care for these speakers at all, because they are just too brite.

I'm probably going to get the BBQ (weber) CTS clones that they make for Super Reverbs.
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

Out of the lot I like the '60s Jensens probably for no other reason besides the "spiderweb" baskets.

'60s CTS speakers are generally overlooked but they're very good, too.

20 years ago I used to think that amps with mixed speakers were a horrible bodge, these days I see amps like the Super Reverb or the tweed Bassman as an excellent opportunity to mix speakers. I'd mix at least C10Rs and P10Rs, if I had an EV or an Altec on hand I'd mount that in the bottom of the cabinet for clarity and punch. You'll hear the blended tone onstage and your sound tech has a choice of tones for the mix depending on mic placement.
WholeToneMusic

Thanks for the replies.

Post by WholeToneMusic »

I put a couple of AlNiCo Tone Tubbies in the bottom and have the original speakers in the top, However I would like to preserve the originals and add a couple newer speakers to the mix. I am thinking of going with a couple Weber's.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

The Eminence Copperheads don't sound too bad either.
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

I like Vintage 30s. Good speaker for the price.

I am partial to ceremic magnets though.
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

A guy left his Super Reverb at a friend's house while he went to Mexico for Spring Break. The friend's girlfriend took in a hoard of toddlers to babysit to make money...speaker cones are no match for sharp pencils in the hands of curiously destructive two-year olds. Who knew?

Anyway, the amp came my way. I put four Eminence speakers in it. Two Lil Buddies (10" with hemp cone) and two Copperheads. (And new grill cloth.) The guy was VERY happy with the resulting tone and increase in punch.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Not to hijack the thread, but what is everyones opinion on Neo speakers? I have a customer wanting a lightweight combo, and thats one way I thought I could shave a few pounds (off the combo, :shock: ).
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

I used the 150 watt Jensen 15 neo in a jazz amp I built for a guy--perfect match. An Eminence 15 Delta Lite neo went into the harp amp with reverb I did this past summer--too dark for guitar, but perfect for harp.

I haven't used/heard any 12 neos, though. ToneQuest report does like the 12 neo Jensens, though.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
WholeToneMusic

Children

Post by WholeToneMusic »

Oh man,
I try to keep the SR away from the children. I do alot of things different now since I have children, I remember when they were crawling around and grabbing the guitar neck on one of my guitars that was set up with a double locking floyd rose. I started stringing the ball end through the neck first and cutting off the excess by the bridge so they wouldn't draw blood on the sharp strings sticking out.
Thanks for the replies everyone, I have been looking into either Weber or Eminence. Too bad the TT AlNiCo's wont fit into the top left speaker baffle of the SR or i would go with it. The transformer hits the frame.

Brian
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Wholetone,

Not exactly one of the speakers that you were looking at but the Naylor 1040 special is worth checking out. I built a 4x10 bassman 10+ years ago with them.... Creamy smooth, still sounds great today.

John
WholeToneMusic

Post by WholeToneMusic »

Thanks John,
I will check out the specs on it, whats important is the sound, and from what you mentioned thats the sound I like, Hows the top end sparkle with the Naylors?
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

The Naylors are warm, not overly bright with rolled off highs and lots of mids, not boomy. I love the sound of them pushed, not buzzy. My kids get mad at me because I like to play them so loud. Check 'em out at Naylor Engineering.

When I play through my 4x12 with celestion 70s lead, or 2 x 12 cabs loaded with Celestion sidewinders I am reminded of what "bright" is....

John
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

The Naylors are warm, not overly bright with rolled off highs and lots of mids, not boomy. I love the sound of them pushed, not buzzy. My kids get mad at me because I like to play them so loud. Check 'em out at Naylor Engineering.

When I play through my 4x12 with celestion 70s lead, or 2 x 12 cabs loaded with Celestion sidewinders I am reminded of what "bright" is....

John
WholeToneMusic

reply on Naylors

Post by WholeToneMusic »

That's funny, My wife usually says "Isn't that loud?" I must be going deaf!! thnx John, I will look into them.