when is it cool to have someone sign a piece of gear?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

selloutrr

when is it cool to have someone sign a piece of gear?

Post by selloutrr »

I get it but ugh.. i don't think i like it... it's like girls with lower back tat's... do i really wanna look at that forever... ?

does it make a piece of gear like a signature model more valuable or just an eye sore.

just curious how the rest of you feel about signing gear. (not tats)
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Ripthorn

Re: when is it cool to have someone sign a piece of gear?

Post by Ripthorn »

I think it depends on the artist and the gear. If it was a nice custom guitar, no chance, but if it was something like a run-of-the-mill strat or something and it was a cool artist, sure, no problem. I would really only get something signed if I was going to hang it up or sell it at some point. Definitely wouldn't get my go-to PRS signed (except maybe by paul himself). Can't afford another one. That's just me.
Exact science is not an exact science
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

so a 1 of 10 amps made signed by the guy that it's endorsing ( on the front taking up a 1/3 of the cab ) would be ...?
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

selloutrr wrote:so a 1 of 10 amps made signed by the guy that it's endorsing ( on the front taking up a 1/3 of the cab ) would be ...?
I think the word you're looking for is "vulgar".
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
Structo

Post by Structo »

:lol:
Really depends, I suppose if the guy is a big hero to you, you may like it.

I was never really in to autographs.

I see guitars all the time on Craigslist claiming to have Bob Dylan or other artists sigs.
They don't seem to sell well.
But, to be fair they are usually cheap instruments.

Hey, whatever floats your boat, everyone is different. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

structo good point ... I guess if it was a hero... My friend idolizes the guy but honestly i could care less, so little actually I'm thinking of having the amp retolexed. It just sucks cause it's the first of a high end ten amp run. Maybe i'll just sell it to him and call it good :)
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

If it is a guitar, have him sign a pickguard that you can add and remove. If an amp, have him sign a metal plate that can be added and removed.
sdorer

Post by sdorer »

The point of the autograph is that the artist was in the presence of the gear. Big deal. What is cool is being like Les Paul in the documentary "At The Speed of Sound" and going into your basement and blowing the dust off a guitar Django gave you.
briane

Post by briane »

If it is a guitar, have him sign a pickguard that you can add and remove. If an amp, have him sign a metal plate that can be added and removed.
yep, thats the gig.

also why you see all those cheap guitars with the signed pickguards. I have been told that some make this into a whole business, but to me that just seems tacky.

If someone signed my cab without approval I might tell them it was now damaged gear....dont know your backstory, I'm a bit hard-assed when it comes to modifications.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
Chad

Post by Chad »

Structo wrote::lol:
Really depends, I suppose if the guy is a big hero to you, you may like it.

I was never really in to autographs.

I see guitars all the time on Craigslist claiming to have Bob Dylan or other artists sigs.
They don't seem to sell well.
But, to be fair they are usually cheap instruments.

Hey, whatever floats your boat, everyone is different. :D
Same here, if it was someone you idolise or like then sure. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.unless you plan on getting rid of it. Chad
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

I've had Paul Reed Smith sign the back plate on two PRSs. On one of those I also got Ted mcCarty's signature the year before he died. It actually says "ed McCarty" because he was virtually blind and missed with the"T" ( as he sat there in his wheelchair wearing a crayon yellow pimp suit with hat to match). I got the impression that Paul wouldn't have signed the front of the guitar. I have a Parker Fly that Ken Parker signed the back plate on, as well. None of these will be seen often as they are on the back of the guitar.
NAMM shows are great for this. Most of these builders love to sign their stuff. Builder's/designer's signatures are different from musician autographs, IMHO.
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

I agree if it is a hand made custom shop product but most of them already are signed in some way. not a mass fabricated model a machine or a dozen people assembled.
PaisleyTube

Post by PaisleyTube »

I did have one amp signed by David Hollestelle (Herman Brood), Ellen ten Damme and Robin Berlijn (Ellen ten Damme, Fatal Flowers) (from the Netherlands) for a customer 'cause he did ask for it and I know David very well.

Gotto find the online online pic but it's a blue amp, cage-style housing and a paisley frontpanel and Ellen was really enjoying the unique looks and really took the time after a gig in Paradiso (Amsterdam) to write something special on that amp. Robin told me it was the 1st time someone asked for his autograph, and he's such an amazing & proffesional player.
Chris
Love, peace & loudness!
bcmatt

Post by bcmatt »

I think autographs are a great thing to do if you made whatever it is you are signing. Just make it discrete enough, that it doesn't ruin what is considered to be a piece of art worth signing in the first place. It's like a stamp of approval by the creator, saying, "I made this and my name stands behind it". So, I appreciate those sorts of autographs on things.

If I met my favorite musician, I would rather shake their hand or buy them a beer than get them to deface something.
KellyBass

Post by KellyBass »

Well said, bcmatt!...

Usually, when I see autographed guitars, visions of radio station sleazebags come to mind...

But, my guitar player's G&L broadcaster...with Leo's signature in the neck pocket...Priceless!!