Maz GT OT impedence ?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

chopstuck

Maz GT OT impedence ?

Post by chopstuck »

"Designed by KF" but what does that translate to....a Liverpool style ? a Dyna style ....anyone know ?

I have another build on the bench and it's getting close.
Heavens, an unused PI input !
rhinson

Re: Maz GT OT impedence ?

Post by rhinson »

4k----i think it's the same trannie as the stangray and rxes (he says that about those 2 trannies as well and they're 4k). since this circuit is essentially a single ch. komet constellation circuit (with a couple of parts value changes), you could use a dyanco a470 type trannie as well--i think that's what the connnie's use. the gt/stangray/rxes output looks a lot like a jtm45 radiospares style trannie with respect to how the lams are stacked, so even one of those merc radiospares style trannies they market as an ac30 replacement would do the trick too. rh
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

Does the TS Liverpool experimenters OT with the 4.3 winding sound appreciably different from the A470 Dynaclone ?
rhinson

Post by rhinson »

chopstuck wrote:Does the TS Liverpool experimenters OT with the 4.3 winding sound appreciably different from the A470 Dynaclone ?
yeah those 2 sound different from each other. i'd say the experimenters with the 4.3k taps is probably closer to what the dr z trannie is in tonal terms--- i'd probably use that one for the z build. give moose at toneslut a call. those stancor clones of the various types all sound very good in a variety of amps and tubes. rh
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

From as near as I can tell Cin-Tran was acquired by Standex Electronics which is also Act-Frost transformers. Would be nice to be able to get replacement iron.

http://www.standexelectronics.com/compa ... istory.htm
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

I may take my experimenters 4.3/5.4 OT out of my Rocket and try it in the GT. I have a switch on the OT primaries and it makes for a real useful (for a change), variation. I will be adding an EF86 channel afterwards for cleans when I'm satisfied with the 12ax7 side.

I'm looking forward to the A470, should be in the mail soon.
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

I got it built. Great, simple amp. It makes the guitars controls actually part of the instrument. I get different tones with every twist of the volume knob.
It also got me to respect my old Bill Lawrence cables.

Low capacitance is the way to go!
Rattler66

Post by Rattler66 »

can you post which trannies and choke you used for the maz gt, thanks
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

If that amp is anything like my Stangray then I know what you mean the Stangray is a very good amp in my book. The Maz is so close that I wonder why all the various different models.

I would like to built the RXES also a amp that Ken F. worked on.
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

Great amp. My pentode channel doesn't sound so great. I suspect it's in the power amp. It differs enough with the bang ray to make the glass disappear from the pentode channel.
I used the Tone Slut Heyboer iron, with the experimenters OT. The difference between the secondaries was quite audible with the Rocket circuit, not really so much with the Maz. It's not so fussy.

Maybe the Rocket needs the ef86/6BR7 channel - the power section is more similar and the OT is sweeter overall.
Rattler66

Post by Rattler66 »

how would you compare the Rocket to the Maz GT? Oh, also which choke? thanks
paisley_tele

Post by paisley_tele »

What would be a good pt and ot for the orignal mazerati not the gt.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The maz PT was increased so I would use the 300-0-300 TW Heyboer tranny with the 5v tap for the GZ34 rectifier. This amp also uses the split load cathode bias. I would use a 4k to 5k2 OT 35W again TW type or Vox AC30 replacement.
DR.Z

Post by DR.Z »

[quote="M Fowler"]The maz PT was increased so I would use the 300-0-300 TW Heyboer tranny with the 5v tap for the GZ34 rectifier. This amp also uses the split load cathode bias. I would use a 4k to 5k2 OT 35W again TW type or Vox AC30 replacement.[/quote]

Sounds good.
The OT is a KF design 4K with a stagered E and I lament stack 3 one way 3 the other .
And yes it's the same OT as used on the Stang-Ray.

The PT is actually a 290-0-290 250mA primary with a 5 V / 3 amp rectifier tap. But the Heyboer TW will work just fine.

DR.Z
funkmeblue

Post by funkmeblue »

I would like to take this time to welcome the good doctor to the amp garage and thanks for the info
anything worth doing, is worth doing right