Eyelet Board Material

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Cygnus X1

Re: Eyelet Board Material

Post by Cygnus X1 »

PWE Amplification wrote:
M Fowler wrote:I was wonder why we couldn't use lexan or other plastics, perhaps smell when heat hits it?
Lexan melts very easily and is prone to static charge.
I've built 6 amps with lexan, never had an issue with static, and it has held up quite well to to soldering.

Plaskolite, or GE, 2UV as used for sun roofs, etc.

Melting point is 310 F, UV coating seems to eliminate potential static.
PWE Amplification

Post by PWE Amplification »

Cliff Schecht wrote:
PWE Amplification wrote:
M Fowler wrote:I was wonder why we couldn't use lexan or other plastics, perhaps smell when heat hits it?
Lexan melts very easily and is prone to static charge.
It probably won't melt at normal amp temperatures but ESD could eventually ruin some of the low voltage electrolytics and such. Passive components do suffer from ESD effects too.
Definitely won't melt during use but may melt while soldering. My only point is that time tested and approved materials are widely available and cheap, why bother with something like lexan?
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

PWE Amplification wrote:
Cliff Schecht wrote:
PWE Amplification wrote: Lexan melts very easily and is prone to static charge.
It probably won't melt at normal amp temperatures but ESD could eventually ruin some of the low voltage electrolytics and such. Passive components do suffer from ESD effects too.
Definitely won't melt during use but may melt while soldering. My only point is that time tested and approved materials are widely available and cheap, why bother with something like lexan?
Works for me, until further notice.
Garolite is nasty (toxic) to work with.
Fishboard warps.
Masonite is butt-ugly.
Plexi/acrylic is also toxic, if not actually, at least it smells like it. And it is subject to static problems.
Never did formica.

I just happen to like the way lexan works, and no it I have not melted it during soldering.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Cygnus X1 wrote:
PWE Amplification wrote:
Cliff Schecht wrote: It probably won't melt at normal amp temperatures but ESD could eventually ruin some of the low voltage electrolytics and such. Passive components do suffer from ESD effects too.
Works for me, until further notice.
Garolite is nasty (toxic) to work with.
Fishboard warps.
Masonite is butt-ugly.
Plexi/acrylic is also toxic, if not actually, at least it smells like it. And it is subject to static problems.
Never did formica.

I just happen to like the way lexan works, and no it I have not melted it during soldering.
I've always wondered about lexan. I thought it would be prone to cracking easily, the melting point and also the other things that have been brought up here. I am interested because it would be cool to have it as a circuit board but I was always hesitant to use it just in case. Would be nice to know the limitations of it for boards. Chad
alanp

Post by alanp »

So you can put a window in the bottom of the cabinet? :)
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

alanp wrote:So you can put a window in the bottom of the cabinet? :)
Well, yes.

:D
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim »

[/quote]I've always wondered about lexan. I thought it would be prone to cracking easily, the melting point and also the other things that have been brought up here. I am interested because it would be cool to have it as a circuit board but I was always hesitant to use it just in case. Would be nice to know the limitations of it for boards. Chad[/quote] Dont worry about cracking it. I used to work with Lexan Polycarbonate Sheet a lot. We used to shoot the stuff with rifles and shotguns. The bullet would just kind of push through the stuff, but zero cracks. Take a hammer to it. Just kind of dents the surface. As far as boards? I'm no expert.
Jim
marcoloco961

Post by marcoloco961 »

This place has 36x48 sheets of 1/8 of the Garolite G10 for 169.83 a sheet.

http://www.professionalplastics.com/G10FR4SHEET
KT66

Post by KT66 »

Was googling around for fish paper out of curiosity and found this place that carries it in thicker thicknesses than McMaster and check out there price on a full sheet of g10/FR4 : http://www.electricalinsulationmaterial ... .html#jump
Ryan

Music is the best. F.Z.

http://Classictubeamps.com
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

I found more info about Lexan which yielded this:

"Polycarbonate is mainly used for electronic applications that capitalize on its collective safety features. Being a good electrical insulator and having heat and flame resistant properties, it is used in myriad products associated with electrical and telecommunications hardware. They are used as dielectric in high stability capacitors".
Bruciep07

Post by Bruciep07 »

KT66 wrote:Was googling around for fish paper out of curiosity and found this place that carries it in thicker thicknesses than McMaster and check out there price on a full sheet of g10/FR4 : http://www.electricalinsulationmaterial ... .html#jump
Wow, 1/8" thickness sheet is almost $20 cheaper shipped to my door than if I pick it up myself from Mcmaster...

Thanks!!!