My retirement plan

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

selloutrr

My retirement plan

Post by selloutrr »

I had an interesting yesterday.

I rescued a baby Cooper's Hawk who fell out of it's nest tree while practicing how to fly. It was hanging out on the street, which would have been fine except it had both heavy traffic from automobiles and dogs on walks. Since not everyone is a good person when it comes to driving with a watchful or kind eye. as well sporting a few assholes who don't think they should keep a dog on a leash. Sorry i've been bit twice and had a pitbull attack my puppy. I'm pretty much pro leash unless your hunting, at the dog park, or in your own fenced yard.

Anyway.. I called the wild bird rescue and the local zoo advised me to first leave it and see.. after 3hrs to bring it in. The feathers where about 60% in / 40% downey feathers. I waited, played in traffic to get people to slow down, and after 3 hours took it into the zoo where they rehab native animals. I was amazed.. the vet tech girls were HOT!!! I figured it was probably best to get a full vet check and feeding to make sure it was ok.

On to the retirement plan... I think I'll take classes and get sponsored so I can get my Falconry license - Hawk, Eagles, Owls, and rehab. Then I'll brush up on my leather tooling skills and make falconry hoods, open a little website and go to functions with my hawk Steven hawkings. Is that name in bad taste? I've wanted an owl every since I saw Clash of the Titans (the good version with clay animation).

Is anyone on here involved with Falconry?
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Cliff Schecht

Re: My retirement plan

Post by Cliff Schecht »

I want a cat named Catrick Swayze.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

I have the 21st century retirement plan-work until I drop dead.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Great job on the rescue SelloutRR! And yes, zoo chicks are hot! (my wife works at a zoo :lol: 8) )
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

So hot it was stupid! It was like hooters meets the bud light girls Seriously I'm looking for another excuse to go back. 8)
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

:lol:

Awesome!
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Cliff Schecht wrote:I want a cat named Catrick Swayze.
or Catherine Zeta....... ? :mrgreen:
teefus

Post by teefus »

cool story. coopers hawks are crazy. i worked at a raptor rehabilitation facility for a couple of years. we had an adult coopers hawk get loose while we were giving it meds and it took 4 guys with nets to catch it. they are fast and just plain nuts.
rsalinger

Post by rsalinger »

When I was a kid, we took in a stray (part Yorkshire Terrier) that we affectionately named "CAT STEVENS"!
Music is an expression of the inexpressable ~ Vernon Reid, Musician.
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Totally cool that you rescued the baby Coopers Hawk. Great story too. I have rescued a whole mess of wild animals and the last one was a hummingbird that flew hard into one of my glass doors. Two days of feeding this tiny thing almost constantly and he flew off with no ill effects. Much more difficult than the baby chipmunks and squirrels.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
ER

Post by ER »

I rescued a Kestrel once that had been hit by a car, found it stunned in the middle of the road (if you can walk up and catch a raptor, it needs your help). Took it to the bird rescue, they called me about a week and a half later when the bird was better and met me so I could release it near where I found it. What a great feeling it was to release that bird and watch it circle over head a few times before perching in the top of an oak tree.

Amazing animals.

Unfortunately there's quite the black market for young raptors due to the popularity of falconry in the middle east. My friend had fish and game nab a couple guys rapelling down and taking eggs from nests on the cliffs near his ranch.

-ER
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

That's funny because the way you legally obtain a raptor is by trapping it. The traps are only a couple hundred for a professionally made unit and free if you DIY. I've seen falcons selling for $10k on the private market but why??? Seems kind of pointless. Plus they are rather easy to breed if you have a nest box and a moderate sized enclosure.. play some marvin gaye and what a few months.

Now an owl.. I could get down with buying one, but even those can be legally obtained for free if you take a rehab class for a weekend and provide a suitable enclosure. The Fish and game even pay you a small amount to cover care.

I'm amazed how small the Kestrel is. What can you hunt with it?

I came home to find a dove made it's nest in my patio pergula.. I could use a raptor.. The wife wont let me use the pellet gun... scat scat scat all over the patio.. nasty little buggers.

that settles it I need to become a falconer. I wonder if raptors are a chick magnet?
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

If I had an owl it would need to be this.

http://youtu.be/4r577ytYTZM

John
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

whoa! :shock: i'm not sure what to say it's creapy and awesome all at the same time.. like a muppet.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

selloutrr wrote:I came home to find a dove made it's nest in my patio pergula.. I could use a raptor.. The wife wont let me use the pellet gun... scat scat scat all over the patio.. nasty little buggers.
Count your blessings - my back portal is favored by regional bats. Little piles of moth wings and bat poop, trails of bat pee down the wall... Yech, indeed.