buying a new 335-style guitar

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

benoit

Re: buying a new 335-style guitar

Post by benoit »

Back at you as far as the civility/discussion thing goes. You make some good points, and my perspective just got a little bigger, so thanks. I make a point not to reply to anything on the web while I'm still upset (which in this case, I really wasn't to begin with), and I definitely appreciate anyone who responds in kind.
mat

Post by mat »

stelligan wrote:mat,
Congratulations on the new guitar. I'm sure that Ibanez will please you. Especially after the new p-ups. Nothing like the inspiration of a new guitar to add a couple 'o licks to the repertoire!
Yes, beginning at the fact that I hold the guitar differently than a solidbody. It really feels comfortable to hold and play !! Gotta listen some of the Scotts and Chucks clips and try to learn something :D

Cheers,
mat
mat

Post by mat »

I think you done good mister.
Thanks skyboltone 8)
mat
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

Mat,
check out the Manta Ray at http://www.reverendguitars.com/

I just this week got my Roundhouse HB from Rev and it is everything they advertized. I could have taken the thing to a gig immediately with no setup. The pickups sound great (no upgrade needed) and the finish, joinery is perfect. I think Schecter is a good choice too (I used to build some of them from kits when I had a guitar repair shop - years ago). I also had a Schecter Diamond Elite series I got off Ebay at a couple of years ago and although it played well, the Rev guitar definitely sounds better than the Elite which had "Duncan designed" pups. Reverend has some dealers so you may be able to try before you buy, or you can order direct. Some models take a while to ship (mine was 6 weeks). These guys know what they are doing. Only problem I have is I tweaked my amp for SC pups, now I have to fix it to work with HB's as well. You know the drill :lol:

OOPs :oops: I missed the fact that you already bought the Ibanez. Also missed the great perspective on buying Chinese. Always good to hear from someone who has lived with the people they are commenting on. Something about walking a mile in their shoes...
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
mat

Post by mat »

Tonegeek wrote:Mat,
check out the Manta Ray at http://www.reverendguitars.com/

I just this week got my Roundhouse HB from Rev and it is everything they advertized. I could have taken the thing to a gig immediately with no setup. The pickups sound great (no upgrade needed) and the finish, joinery is perfect. I think Schecter is a good choice too (I used to build some of them from kits when I had a guitar repair shop - years ago). I also had a Schecter Diamond Elite series I got off Ebay at a couple of years ago and although it played well, the Rev guitar definitely sounds better than the Elite which had "Duncan designed" pups. Reverend has some dealers so you may be able to try before you buy, or you can order direct. Some models take a while to ship (mine was 6 weeks). These guys know what they are doing. Only problem I have is I tweaked my amp for SC pups, now I have to fix it to work with HB's as well. You know the drill :lol:

OOPs :oops: I missed the fact that you already bought the Ibanez. Also missed the great perspective on buying Chinese. Always good to hear from someone who has lived with the people they are commenting on. Something about walking a mile in their shoes...
Thanks Tonegeek, I really dig the looks of the Reverends. I also tried few of them at Frankfurt Music Messe two years ago. They are great guitars 8)

Also loving my Ibanez 8) This thing is a joy to play and it sound very good. I changed the Duncan '59s in and the top end is much better now than with the stock pu's where I had to switch the bright switch on and crank the presence on my nonHRM or HRM on the OD-channel.
mat
benoit

Post by benoit »

mat wrote: Thanks Tonegeek, I really dig the looks of the Reverends. I also tried few of them at Frankfurt Music Messe two years ago. They are great guitars 8)
I checked out their stuff for the first time yesterday and was amazed at the cool specs (and look), then the price, then the great reviews I found all over the web. If I had 500 bucks lyin loose... :)
Roe

Post by Roe »

i recommend tokais: es120, 130, 155
mat

Post by mat »

Roe wrote:i recommend tokais: es120, 130, 155
I tried 3 of them. 2 cheaper models and one 1000€ model. Great guitars. I noticed some fret buzz on couple of them. The 1k€ model was really heavy.

The Ibanez was half the price tho'. I'm still very pleased of it 8) If the price is not too much I recommend to try the Tokais.
mat