Templates and Stencils for Control Knob and Jack Labeling

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tubelube

Templates and Stencils for Control Knob and Jack Labeling

Post by Tubelube »

I am in need of generic templates - stencils for control knob and jack labeling. The process I am undertaking involves different positioning of individual controls for home made amps. I need to have different individual stencils for each control, (volume, mid, trebel, bass, Master Reverb, presence input 1 & 2, Drive, Nornal, Bright, speaker, Ext spk cab, on & off standby, on & off, preamp out, power amp in, foot switch, channel select, power-primary fuse, power-secondary fuse, OT fuse etc...). Does anyone know where I can purchase these templates, stencils? Any help would be greatly appriciared! :o
beasleybodyshop

Re: Templates and Stencils for Control Knob and Jack Labeling

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Have you considered using a vector PC program like Inkscape to make templates and print them out? Its easy and you can scale the lettering exactly.

Good Luck
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
Tubelube

Post by Tubelube »

thanks beasleybodyshop! I will give it a try! :D
Jana

Post by Jana »

I have a way of doing the labels that is kind of time consuming, but it works.

1. Paint the chassis.

2. Go in Word or any word processing software and find a font.

3. Type in all the labels and increase the size of the font to actual size for on the panel. Print it out, find out the font should be bigger or smaller, change it, print it out again. Repeat this set of steps for increasing and decreasing font size about 20 times!

4. Cut out all the labels and position them on the painted panel and secure them with painters tape.

5. Put in ear plugs.

6. Verify that you have ear plugs installed (in your ears).

7. Use a hand-held engraving tool and carefully engrave right through the paper labels and into the panel. An engraver on an aluminum panel or chassis is loud and annoying. Be sure to do this about 3:00 am when everyone else is asleep.

8. When all the labels are engraved, remove the remnants of the paper and tape.

9. Get a really small, pointed brush and fill in the engraving with a color that contrasts with the painted panel.

:)

I will be doing a chassis in a week or so, I will try to take pictures of my process.
What?
xtian

Post by xtian »

Jana wrote:I will be doing a chassis in a week or so, I will try to take pictures of my process.
Please include an audio recording as well. :D
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Jana wrote:I have a way of doing the labels that is kind of time consuming, but it works.

1. Paint the chassis.

2. Go in Word or any word processing software and find a font.

3. Type in all the labels and increase the size of the font to actual size for on the panel. Print it out, find out the font should be bigger or smaller, change it, print it out again. Repeat this set of steps for increasing and decreasing font size about 20 times!

4. Cut out all the labels and position them on the painted panel and secure them with painters tape.

5. Put in ear plugs.

6. Verify that you have ear plugs installed (in your ears).

7. Use a hand-held engraving tool and carefully engrave right through the paper labels and into the panel. An engraver on an aluminum panel or chassis is loud and annoying. Be sure to do this about 3:00 am when everyone else is asleep.

8. When all the labels are engraved, remove the remnants of the paper and tape.

9. Get a really small, pointed brush and fill in the engraving with a color that contrasts with the painted panel.

:)

I will be doing a chassis in a week or so, I will try to take pictures of my process.
Jana, I did this on a few amps before i realized it was too much effort for too little gain. Anyone can download Inkscape for free, and you can actually size lettering/anything to exact size scale. If I want one inch letters, I can make it so. If i want .378 size numbers, no problem. And aligning and setting them as a faceplate takes half the time. Hope this helps.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
Jana

Post by Jana »

Beasley,

But why are you trying to make life easier for me and simplify my process? Are you trying to drive me crazy? Doing stuff the time consuming way is therapy for me. (sarcasm involved)

This is post 999! One more and I join the 1000 club. Do I get a prize or maybe a free cup of coffee?
What?
Structo

Post by Structo »

Your savoring it aren't you?

Always good to hear your input Jana.

Great community here. :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

xtian wrote:
Jana wrote:I will be doing a chassis in a week or so, I will try to take pictures of my process.
Please include an audio recording as well. :D
Yes, Jana, please do. Then I can play the recording (at the appropriate level) at about 3:00am when everyone else is asleep... :lol:
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Jana can I schedule a drop off date/time for some plates I want done? :)
Jana

Post by Jana »

Post 1000!

Mark, you are the lucky winner of a box of parts!

As for dropping off the panels--sure thing. Just wrap them in 100 dollar bills so they don't get scratched. :)

Should I use an SM 58 for recording? mono? stereo? maybe put some reverb on it in the mix? Oh, the possibilities!
What?
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Congrats Jana !
I vote for echo.
And dry.
Stereo.
With an attachment.
:D
Why Aye Man