Any bicycle riders here?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Any bicycle riders here?

Post by Phil_S »

I know it's an amp group. I'm endlessly surprised by the variety and depth of knowledge people here can demonstrate. I'll roll the dice on this topic. Nothing to lose, much to gain.

I'm thinking about buying a hybrid. I'd like to be able to trail ride...light off road and on road, not real "mountain." I have an old road bike I don't use. (I mean old, like 30+ years old and in need of serious reconditioning to the point where it doesn't pay.) I'm looking for advice. Anyone here know something about this? Thanks.
matt h

Re: Any bicycle riders here?

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I know very little about new bikes. But plenty (too much) about bikes getting stolen. It's part of life in the city, so if you're in that kind of zone, used bikes are your best bet. Just something to think about.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

my bike has a 750cc motor on it :lol: :lol: :lol:

i keed i keed, i have a sweet Specialized something, front shocks only (full suspension bikes suffer from pedal bob, where your energy is diverted up and down instead of just traction forward..) i can lock out the front shocks too! OH and disc brakes, haven't ridden much since my 'being hit by a car' deal happened, but i do miss it!!

i have a Specialized Hardrock with some really awesome features for under $500 retail. i would totally recommend: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... n/hardrock

seems to fit your criteria, and i have put some MAJOR miles on mine

later Phil :D
neal
Last edited by eniam rognab on Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

xtian wrote:I know very little about new bikes. But plenty (too much) about bikes getting stolen. It's part of life in the city, so if you're in that kind of zone, used bikes are your best bet. Just something to think about.
you just live among a band of thieves!! davis is the WORST place ever for a bike, you NEVER see anyone riding a nice bike there, they figure get the crappiest bike that no one will ever steal and leave them unlocked :lol: :lol: :lol:
cbass

Post by cbass »

eniam rognab wrote:
xtian wrote:I know very little about new bikes. But plenty (too much) about bikes getting stolen. It's part of life in the city, so if you're in that kind of zone, used bikes are your best bet. Just something to think about.
you just live among a band of thieves!! davis is the WORST place ever for a bike, you NEVER see anyone riding a nice bike there, they figure get the crappiest bike that no one will ever steal and leave them unlocked :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sounds awful. Do you guys have to lock your cars too?
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

ugh, it just Cali i think, im over this state.... and yes, always lock the car

in fact my buddy Ron leaves NOTHING inside his car and leaves it unlocked all the time, he has had so many break ins it was costing too much! :lol: :lol: exact same idea as the folks in Davis!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hi Matt! Surprise! It's you who knows bikes! Really a good informative post for me. I appreciate it. I can only get one bike, and the goal is to ride the Erie Canal with my sister (has 5 bikes!)

If you don't mind, can you speak to tire size and it's significance? I''m not getting much useful from our friend Google. 700c = 27.6", not 29. What's the deal with 29'ers. I saw them in REI, but there was no one around to talk to and I was running out of time ;-{ There is a sale on Cannondale at the moment. I am not afraid to let the moment pass.

Also, about hydraulic vs. mechanical brakes. Yes, I see disc brakes are the way to go. My reaction to hydraulic was, "Another thing that can go wrong...how hard can it be to squeeze the lever with mechanical brakes!"

Finally, even though I'm "technical" I imagine I'll be needing a local bike shop (LOL, I see LBS in the bike forums) for something some time, for example I'm thinking I'm going to suck at tuning a wheel, wobble, wobble. If discounts are not significant for on-line ordering, it is worth taking my business to a local brick and mortar shop (includes REI.) This also brings into play the question of a used bike, which I suppose is a great way to get more for less, but only if I get the right thing.

Thanks!
ER

Post by ER »

Matt's advice is right on the money, 29er and 700c are the exact same rim size. Some friends of mine invented the 29er years ago. A 29er will be way better than a hybrid off-road with fat tires and also better than a hybrid with some real road tires at hi-pressure for the road. I would look for something with a steel frame and lockout or rigid fork, aluminum feels dead and has a harsh ride.
George61

Post by George61 »

I have a Cannondale Adventure 3. It not a bad road bike and good for smooth trails. Here in Pennsylvania we have a lot of "Rail Trails" - abandoned railroad tracks that have been converted to bicycle trails. A hybrid is ideal for rail trails. Make sure you get a bike that is the proper size for you.
http://www.cannondale.com/2014/bikes/re ... dventure-3
I've noticed that you are from Baltimore.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/greenways/ncrt_trail.html

Ride on,
George
Last edited by George61 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Parrot

Post by Blue Parrot »

Phil - I bought a Trek Singletrack 950 mountain bike in the early 90’s and still ride it ~65 miles /week in the summer along paved paths that parallel the Columbia and Snake rivers. It is kind of heavy but it is built like a tank. I use with Crossroad tires inflated to ~72 psi (80 psi max) and it is fantastic on the asphalt-paved paths. Just mentioning as an option might be to find a quality used mountain bike that could be suitable for the Erie Canal path when fitted with suitable tires (as also mentioned above by Matt H).

Scott
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

eniam rognab wrote:
Yeh a beater fixie, or one of these, nobody will touch it:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
down technical blind alleys . . .
angelodp

Road Bike

Post by angelodp »

Sent you a PM, but Road Biking has been great for me. I started a year ago and got a Canondale Synapse. I have 4800 or so miles under my belt this year and I feel stronger than I have since I was in my thirties. If you have good terrain to ride a road bike its a great exercise routine. I went whole hog, clip shoes, etc. Its essential to get fitted for the bike at a good shop. check out Wrench Science .com for a do it your self measurement routine to know exactly what size you should be riding. Don't skip this step, as a properly fit bike makes a huge difference in the ride.

happy riding.

Ange

http://www.wrenchscience.com you will have to create an account… then check out the fit system.

This type of shop will be helpful and they might give you a 1 year service warranty. My shop tweaks my bike for free for the first year, then its on me.

http://racepacebicycles.com/product-lis ... artRow=121
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Good for you ange! I still have the road race machine I built up from parts when I was in high school, along with a modern Ti road bike which I also assembled. From a DIY perspective, building bicycle wheels is very satisfying- a hoop and a hub, plus a handful of wire spokes becomes an amazing structure that can support 100 times its weight.