Bass Preamp advice, please

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

titanicslim

Re: Bass Preamp advice, please

Post by titanicslim »

Look what washed up in the last storm:!: :lol:

[img:1024:768]http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157 ... CF0669.jpg[/img]

It's big (3.75" X 9" X 21" got the right number of holes (always important for those of us who don't have Greenlee's) although not the right size for chassis-mount sockets.

(I want to make a really tough, resilient mounting system for those tubes since I'm too old and stove-up to personally haul amps this big around on a regular basis. If you've got a suggestion regarding this, please sound off and help a brother out!)

I've never really been exposed to this brand of amp before but, judging from the switches that are left, Kaman has about the same quality standards on their amps as they have concerning their guitars :( Initially I thought I'd be able to save a few bucks on the remaining lights, switches etc., but, alas.... For a voltage selector it's got a Jazzmaster-style slide switch that looks like it's rated at about 25v.

Anyway, the Hiwatt pre will fit with no extra holes IF I use a push-me-pull-you pot for the bright/normal volume control. Though I've never personally met a Marshall bass amp I liked, I don't see any reason not to use that familiar power amp (I did like the 150watt Traynor) at least initially.

Dave
The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists in the circulation of the blood. - Logan Pearsall Smith (1865 - 1946)