Doing some hydroponics

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gahult

Re: Doing some hydroponics

Post by gahult »

Yah, I got a late start on them. I had some medical bills that used my funds I had set aside for the hydroponics. But the long growing season will help.

Three of the little plants already have a tomato each. Lest my eyes deceive me they look to be a bit bigger each day. Am filling the salt shaker. :)

Gary
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird , and they take Prozac to make it normal.
drew

Post by drew »

cbass wrote:Hell I figured y'all be eaten tamotoes down there by now.
Tomatoes are super easy if you get the hybrid stuff but that don't taste ase good so I only grow the heirlooms.
My local nursery had some seedlings which were supposedly heirloom varieties grafted onto disease- and pest-resistant hybrid rootstock. Like what they do with grapevines, I guess. I was tempted to try a couple, but they were a little expensive, and I'm hardly doing any gardening this year anyway, due to the drought out here.
gahult

Post by gahult »

My eyes do not deceive me they are getting bigger every day.

It's just like freakin' Sea Ponys...just add water and watch them grow.

Gary
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird , and they take Prozac to make it normal.
gahult

Post by gahult »

Eating tomatoes and cucumbers now.

Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Nice Gary!

Hey, you should put your skills to work and move to one of the 'green' states and grow a cash crop. :lol:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
boots

Post by boots »

Wow Gary, very impressive!

I just set up a 5-gal bucket hydroponic system, but I deem it a failure. I used perlite, which apparently floats, and it is a bad choice for a growing medium.

I'm gonna re-do it with lava rock pretty soon.
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

I like dem grow lights you got dare, Gary... :-)
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
kkregsg

Post by kkregsg »

I've been sidelined by yet another new titanium joint, this one my second hip, so I've been remiss this year and grown nothing, but now, gahult, you've shamed me into making big plans for next year. I've wanted to try hydroponics, so thanks for the links. I still learn something new every day whether I need to or not!
Anybody tried the aeroponics, where you don't use a grow medium, just spray the juice on the roots and keep 'em wet? I've read just enough to be curious.
And yes, with OR going legal w/ the herb in July, though I don't partake myself, I could see myself as a gentleman mini-plantation owner. OK, maybe "gentleman" is a big stretch. But, green for green? It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

Reeltarded wrote:It's ok. I started smoking tomatos.
"No stems, no seeds that you don't need..."
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
SilverFox

Something Fishey

Post by SilverFox »

I've watched a couple videos on AuqaPonics and that seems really cool. Basically you keep fish in a larger tank, about 275 or so gallons, available from a food processing facility and use the fish water to fertilize and feed the plants. The plants take all the nitrogen out of the water and clean it up for the fish. A nice closed loop system with the exception of some fish food...

silverfox.
cbass

Post by cbass »

gui_tarzan wrote:
Reeltarded wrote:It's ok. I started smoking tomatos.
"No stems, no seeds that you don't need..."
You can make a pretty good pipe out of a carrot .a tomato soundspretty messy