Jefferson for President

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Firestorm

Re: Jefferson for President

Post by Firestorm »

cbass wrote:this guy is doing all my talking for me from now on
https://youtu.be/1rUPFXbADvE
He probably has an academic point, but sure doesn't know how the game is played. If you have a Constitutional issue, somebody files an Amicus brief so the case can get kick upstairs to a Court that might be interested. In this venue the participants are cogs in a machine (and know it). They can abuse their limited powers, and often do, but a Constitutional argument is not a Constitutional argument until Scalia or Alito or one of the other guys (and girls) in black dresses says "Interesting point."

As to JC: he said "render to Caesar that which is Caesar's." Well, he didn't actually say that, somebody else cosying up to the Romans said that, but the point is valid. Paul, who had no stake in the game, but nonetheless became the voice of Christianity said, and he really did, it was him writing to the Corinthians, words to the effect: I can do all kinds of shit, but if I don't have love, it's pointless. That is the voice of Jesus of Nazareth. Unmistakeable.

Here endeth the lesson.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I really dont see what is wrong with speaking your mind sorry if offended anyone. People say shit all the time that pisses me off or i dont agree with at all.. I dont start whining.Or Or judge them except for their opinion on the subject being discussed.but i will refrain from presenting any knd of political opinion or fact.
I hope observations are OK
We are screwed as a country. I went to springfield the other day and it was very depressing. Homeless on every off ramp.Ive never seen that before. I drove all the way across the north side and there was almost no traffic . Lots of boarded up businesses lots of delapetated houses. The liquor stores were stil there.
Another factory is closing here. There is basically zero jobs except for minimum wage or less.I see lots of young people that want to live here but cant make a living. So they leave
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

cbass wrote: beer is probably cheaper to make than soda cept for some kinda %300 tax on it. id like to make my own but itd take a bunch
Unless the State of Misery imposes some tax on home made beer, I know of none. Some of my friends have made their own, it's a good "mad scientist" exercise. Gotta have super clean bottles & cookware, and "boil the wort." If you have good quality water at home that's a big plus. Costs a bit to set up at first, then it's just ingredients you can mail order or possibly buy over the counter if there's a home-brew shop nearby.

It's home distilling the gummint doesn't like, still not legal though some may do it. Can be dangerous too as you generate alcohol fumes which can explode just like cooking gas. One of the local hipster mini distilleries near here blew up one of their buildings about 2 years ago, goes to show you even the "pros" don't always get it right. With beer, if your bottles aren't sufficiently clean, some might burst but at least it won't level the house or start a fire.

Looking forward to some cbass pale ale!
down technical blind alleys . . .
cbass

Post by cbass »

I found a great big glass carboy in my moms attic a while back and it had a tiny spider webcrack in the bottom :x
Making the simpilier beers seems easy enough but if you figure between 20 and 30 beers aday :shock: thats goona take a big pot to keep things going
I Dont think there is a tax for making your own but selling becomes a whole different issue. I knw a guy who went to clubfed for selling shine.
It may be a state of misery here but at least I can have a 100 rnd drum if i want :P
LeeMo

Post by LeeMo »

cbass,
If you can make oatmeal, you can brew. I have $300-$400 tied up in equipment (so far). That includes the garage fridge and the two coca-cola syrup kegs. I don't use a carboy. I use buckets. I usually brew a light colored ale and a darker or amber ale on alternate weekends. I'll have two five gallon buckets in the coat closet (about three weeks) and instead of bottling, I transfer straight to the keg, put it in the fridge and crank the co2 to about 25 lbs. for 48 hours. Bleed off the pressure and recharge at 5-6 lbs.
I've got a witbier golden and an oatmeal stout in the fridge that I put in the closet after Thanksgiving. I brew from kits 'cause it's easier. It usually takes about 2 hours to brew 5 gallons from start thru cleanup.

LeeMo
I bought a pair of shoes from a drug dealer the other day. I dunno what he laced them with but I’ve been tripping all day,
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

LeeMo wrote:cbass,
If you can make oatmeal, you can brew. I have $300-$400 tied up in equipment (so far). That includes the garage fridge and the two coca-cola syrup kegs. I don't use a carboy. I use buckets. I usually brew a light colored ale and a darker or amber ale on alternate weekends. I'll have two five gallon buckets in the coat closet (about three weeks) and instead of bottling, I transfer straight to the keg, put it in the fridge and crank the co2 to about 25 lbs. for 48 hours. Bleed off the pressure and recharge at 5-6 lbs.
I've got a witbier golden and an oatmeal stout in the fridge that I put in the closet after Thanksgiving. I brew from kits 'cause it's easier. It usually takes about 2 hours to brew 5 gallons from start thru cleanup.

LeeMo
LeeMo, we're talking about cbass here. I think his start up would have to be scaled something like this. :lol:

[img::]http://bigbossbrewing.com/media/2060/br ... lery_8.jpg[/img]
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Jefferson brewed: https://www.monticello.org/site/researc ... tions/beer

LeeMo is right, home brewing can be done simply using malt extract, or you can step up to doing a full mash, culturing your own yeast, etc. Soda kegs eliminate the hassle of bottling and bottle conditioning, but for some types of beers (some of my favorites!), that is the traditional method. IMO, home brewing should be on every DIY'er's bucket list. It enjoyed a resurgence beginning in the late 80's along with the microbrewery thing, and it has recently been discovered by a new generation.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Yes, Thomas Jefferson for President 2016! 100%!
Structo

Post by Structo »

We need somebody good, that is for damn sure.
Last edited by Structo on Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Deric

Post by Deric »

I really dont see what is wrong with speaking your mind sorry if offended anyone. People say shit all the time that pisses me off or i dont agree with at all.. I dont start whining.Or Or judge them except for their opinion on the subject being discussed.
The way it should be!!!! I try to live by 2 rules....

1. Don't be a dick. Feel free to speak you mind, share your views etc. but don't go out of your way to insult, harass, degrade, humiliate etc.

If somebody does insult, harass, degrade, humiliate see rule # 2.

2. Don't be a pussy. Get over it. Everyone has bad days. Sometimes people are just assholes. No reason to let it ruin your day.

Personally, I find cbass pretty abrasive sometimes. I think that's why I like him!! He's easily on my list of people I've never actually met but would love to share a beer with.

Home brewed of course!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deric®
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Jefferson, Washington and the others all made beer. Somewhere I have Washington's recipe for ”small beer" (not too much alcohol). The intent was to drink it up quick. That way, very little carbonation is required. Carbonation preserves the beer because it makes it too acidic for secondary fermentation (from bacteria and accidental yeasts). That's what blows up the bottles. If you make it in carboys and bottle nothing smaller than growlers, you're good.

The distillation business is a hangover from prohibition and a way to ensure that only the connected few can make money.

Buy a car and provide taxi service in Manhattan, you go to jail unless you have that Medallion. Learn to style hair and open a shop, you go to jail unless you joined the "guild."

Same as it ever was. I am a libertarian with a conservative streak. But I am increasingly persuaded by 99% arguments.

Like the song says, "You can't win, you can't break even, and you can't get out of the game."
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

FWIW cbass, you are refreshingly abrasive. Never had a problem with anything you've said. Opinions are like hemorrhoids, every asshole has one. Me too. Say what you will, just don't call anyone who disagrees a dick. As web forums go, this one is exceptionally civil. Let's keep it that way.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

Cbass 4 prez!!
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

eniam rognab wrote:Cbass 4 prez!!
Secretary of State, better.
cbass

Post by cbass »

you guys really think Im abrasive? :cry:
I dont try to be im just a scrotbag construction worker thats used to talking to other scrots.