Nine months on the attack site list

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

R.G.

Nine months on the attack site list

Post by R.G. »

It's now nine months on the attack site list for The Amp Garage.

I skipped posting this yesterday - it's not a joke.
sluckey

Re: Nine months on the attack site list

Post by sluckey »

I used to post links to interesting threads on TAG over at Hoffman's forum, but finally quit because of having to follow up with a "the TAG threat is no longer real" message.
rp

Post by rp »

I've developed a hand cleaning obsession since the malware.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

If it were going to be fixed, it would have happened long before now.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
David Root

Post by David Root »

Seems it's only on Google. msnbc is OK for sure. But that doesn't excuse Google being idiots.
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Firefox still has the warning as well...
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

John_P_WI wrote:Firefox still has the warning as well...
yup
NickC

Post by NickC »

John_P_WI wrote:Firefox still has the warning as well...

Safari (Apple Mac) has them intermittently.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

Nine months on the attack list? It's like an 8 lb 6 oz, tiny infant newborn virus. I will call him Mally, the malware. They grow up so fast!
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

David Root wrote:Seems it's only on Google. msnbc is OK for sure. But that doesn't excuse Google being idiots.
Once again, this is not a Google issue. Google is not the issue. Google is not the villain here. There may not be a villain here.

It's become popular to think of any business bigger than a corner grocery store as the devil incarnate. While I am sure some businesses ARE the devil incarnate, simply lumping them all together without thinking is not a good survival tactic.

Google scans the web, indexing. It's what they do. They also, while scanning web pages, run those scans through a virus and malware checker, and tell people what amounts to "hey, we found nasty attack ware here." What you or your browser do with that warning is up to you.

Google is not the issue. Google is not the villain here. There may not be a villain here.

Google does not prevent you from seeing the pages. They just tell you that they think you ought to be cautious with this list of pages. Your browser may or may not think to tell you that Google found attack software there. Firefox does. Some browsers do not. Some do intermittently.

Google is not the issue. Google is not the villain here. There may not be a villain here.

Google has provided a simple and fast way for a web page owner to get off their attack page list. I have personally done this when my personal web page got hacked. It took less than 24 hours to get off the list, and that's with my personally clumsy fumbling with cleaning the files and getting the page re-scanned. So I have personal, direct knowledge of the process.

The issue, as best we've been told, is that TAG is running on outdated levels of forum software, and that the password to the [something] database has been forgotten or lost, so it can't be updated, and that is somehow preventing it from being scanned and removed from the Google malware list.

Google is not incompetent or malicious in this process, nor are they being dictatorial in keeping people away from perfectly good web sites. Google simply presents a file of web sites that they have found at one time or another to have malware. They offer a quick and effective way to get off that list, and they do not prevent anyone from going ahead and ignoring the warning and getting infected at web sites they think may be infectious.

R.G.

Post by R.G. »

A sad comment on today's irresponsible and litigious society occurred to me just after I hit "submit".

I'm a little surprised that someone has not sued a search engine (Google and or the others), their browser software company, their internet provider, or someone else tangentially associated with "internet" for damages from malware infections.

I suspect that will happen, it just hasn't yet.

That I know of. :shock:
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

R.G. wrote: Once again, this is not a Google issue. Google is not the issue. Google is not the villain here. There may not be a villain here.

Okay, now you're just coming across as maniacal. :-)

And again, I really don't think anyone who has the ability to fix this is listening to you.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Oh, that wasn't for the folks who could fix the web site. I think you're correct, and as I've posted a couple of times, the fact that it hasn't been fixed by now means that it's unlikely ever to be fixed, except by accident.

The message that Google is not the enemy is just because I get tired of people spouting stuff they've been fed without thinking. It's very politically correct on the net to blame everything on Google. I'm a bit surprised that Google is not blamed for everything from global warming (Ooops! Global "difference"; any change in anything is evidence that Humans A re Screwing It Up.) to bad breath.

Reciting mantras is and was always intended to be something to focus on to avoid thinking.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

It has now been 9 months and 5 days on the attack list.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

So, at 6:30 am central time this morning the Hostmonster server had this site offline supposedly scanning and repairing files... wishful thinking on my part??