I'm back after a hellish three years.

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

I'm back after a hellish three years.

Post by LeftyStrat »

I haven't been around for some time. My family and I have been through the ringer the last three years. In March of 2016, my wife and I had to fly back to South Carolina, because her father's health was failing and he was in hospice care. He was on dialysis and had been taken off the list waiting for a kidney donor after having congestive heart failure. He was basically hanging on to see his only daughter, my wife, and to get a promise from me not to sell his beloved "Belly Acres," nine acres of paradise in NW SC. He had built a beautiful house but never got to move into it.

The day after we left, he signed papers to be taken off dialysis, and passed away about a week later. He left everything to my wife. She immediately got possession of the property, but it took almost a year of probate to inherit his other assets. That happened just in time.

My mother had come down with ALS, and we started talking about moving back to the property from Seattle so I could help take care of her. In January of 2017, our landlord in Seattle gave us 22 days to move out. We had lived there for fourteen years. We moved back, and I spent the next year taking care of my mother while watching ALS take her away. She passed away in February of this year.

Haven't had any time to do much of anything with amps or even playing. I did get rj to build an amp for me as a gift to a friend, and wow, I hated having to send it off to him. I think you might find the build thread on here. It's a rocket but with a different tone stack. It's truly a 3d amp that can go from jangle to mean. A waste two hours grinning kind of amp. Thanks rj.

After all I've been though, I decided to treat myself to some G.A.S. and came across a production amp that is pretty close to a design I have had in my head for years. I've always wanted to do something along the lines of a simplified AC30/Rocket, but split into stereo and using a 2x10 combo cab. Mono preamp, two channels, one with a very simple "pure" channel with just a volume, and a dirty channel with tone controls and a master volume. Mono send and stereo return. Something that loves pedals. I don't have to build it, it's an Orange Rocker 32. I love the amp.

I also decided this "Strat dude" needed to expand his horizons and bought a Gretsch G5420LH. It doesn't have a Bigsby, but I found one online and I'm going to add it. Unfortunately the peg post doesn't line up, so I'm going to get a pro to install it.

Now I'm on a quest to build the ultimate pedal board. I've got a Stymon Timeline I love, and I'm seriously lusting after the Source Audio Ventris and Strymon Mobius. Have a TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 that I'm just not getting on with. I hate having to bend down to change presets.

How has everyone been? Any updates on Tom (Structo)?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
LeftyStrat

Re: I'm back after a hellish three years.

Post by LeftyStrat »

Forgot to post a link to pics of Belly Acres:

http://belly-acres.com
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Great to have you back after all of that, I'm new, and think I saw one or two of your posts right as I joined, but I'm sorry to hear about that turmoil. Life has a way of kicking you down and then continuing to kick while you're down, hopefully it's now on the up and up.

I've broadened my repertoire of guitars lately too, I had a strat and an SG for a LONG time and that was it. I just recently got an ES-339, and a tele and love the new tonal shapes.

My next build is going to be a vox AC30 EF86 normal channel and top boost channel with OD. We'll see how that turns out :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Welcome back, Lefty!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Lefty great to hear from you.

Sorry all that you, your wife and family have been through. Enjoy that lovely land it was a gift your father-in-law wanted for his daughter and you.
Could be the location for the 2nd Ampgarage get together!

Mark
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Hate I missed the first get together. But definitely. We have a couple of camp sites already built by my father-in-law. It's a magical place.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Welcome back!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Life is good, but not always kind. I'm sorry to hear of your challenges and losses. I think it is BS that time heals, but personal experience tells me the sting will fade over time. It's great to see you back here.
I like short ribs, too ;-}
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Glad you're getting settling in to what looks like a magical place in the woods... and you even have a band stand.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Yeah, my father-in-law used to have big parties and hire local bands to come out and play. There's also a thirty by ten projection screen on the stage for showing movies. He was a man that loved to entertain.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Phil_S wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 3:47 pm Life is good, but not always kind. I'm sorry to hear of your challenges and losses. I think it is BS that time heals, but personal experience tells me the sting will fade over time. It's great to see you back here.
I like short ribs, too ;-}
That was my first time smoking them then braising. They turned out great.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Great to see you back. Glad you survived the ringer
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Deric

Post by Deric »

Glad you're back!
Deric®
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Welcome back! Missed the big headstock.. :)
RustyChops

Post by RustyChops »

That's a very tough 3 years. Sorry for your loss. I can relate. It does seem to me your Father-in-law had a plan that always included you and your family. I'm pretty sure he is sittin' somewhere with a big smile, a mason jar of sweet tea in one hand and some que in the other, knowing his beloved Belly Acres is in very good hands. What a beautiful place to call home.
All the best to you and your family.