Mike Landau, tone,feel out the wazoo...

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

AtomCap

Mike Landau, tone,feel out the wazoo...

Post by AtomCap »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ana9iBGBMXw

stumbled onto this video, so much feel - so good, had to share..
norburybrook

Re: Mike Landau, tone,feel out the wazoo...

Post by norburybrook »

yep, seen this before. Mike's just so great, he's one of the few people who 'plays' pedals so well.

He's just a master.

Do you have any of his albums? Organic Instrumentals is one of my favourites that lives in the car :D

M
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

What a beautiful tone! THANKS for sharing the video.

With respect, 10thtx
Paulg

Post by Paulg »

I had the pleasure of standing right in front of him when he played here in California. It must be around the time of this video as he used that very guitar. He used a two amp set up. A Dumble modded 4-10 Bassman for the clean and overdriven tones and a Super Reverb with a volume pedal for all the delay and modulaion effects. Cool set up that works well. Of course, its his songs and guitar work that makes it superb!
AtomCap

Post by AtomCap »

Back in 2008-2009 around Namm - I went and saw Mike at the Baked Potato - it was by far the best live performance I've ever witnessed, it was as if time stood still people were stunned and there were quite a few heavy hitter guys in the crowd too, just as frozen as everyone else.. Mike had a pair of Kerry Wright cabs and a newer ODS head which I think he took recent ownership off (folklore?) Overall the tone, fell - it was so good!
I emailed Thru Mike's site thanking him for such a Cosmic musical event- lit a fire under my ass to play more and stop f**king around with gear and play what I got!
That baked potato show was planetary alignment stuff- Sue me - but I recorded it for personal enjoyment.

Have a good bit of his catalog on CD, frequent listening while tinkering..
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

AtomCap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:17 am - lit a fire under my ass to play more and stop f**king around with gear and play what I got!
That baked potato show was planetary alignment stuff- Sue me - but I recorded it for personal enjoyment.

Have a good bit of his catalog on CD, frequent listening while tinkering..
that is the downside of being able to make your own great amps and something I'm also guilty of myself :D

Interesting that neither of you guys saw him playing his Deville's, it's his sig amp. I presume he's running a wet/dry set up then Paulg, it's something I've got to experiment with, I do like to run true stereo with two amps but the wet dry thing has always intrigued me.

Mike was in London with Steve Gadd band recently but I was away on tour so I missed it. He really is an understated master IMHO.

M
roberto

Post by roberto »

There's a song that probably nobody knows outside Italy, where Mike played the solo, that is not his typical style but it's great. https://youtu.be/haCt4TJb4hs?t=3m58s