What would you do?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Winder

What would you do?

Post by Winder »

Been in the pickup business for close to 15 years, and have had virtually no issues with customers. If there's ever a hint of something going south during communication, I normally replace the product or refund the money and move on - maybe had to do it 4 or 5 times in 15 years. In most of those cases, follow-on communication confirmed the pickups weren't "the issue".

Today, I get an email from an "overseas" customer with pictures. Shipped in September ... apparently, he just opened the package today. The pickups looke like they were run over by a steamroller. Not much of a description other than "hey, just opened the box and look at these?" I more or less asked ... "you just opened the package?"

My thought is, what the heck did the box look like? It must have been crushed ... wouldn't that prompt you to take a look inside right away? Now, two months later, there's really no opportunity to make a claim. My guess is he feels I'm responsible. If so, I'll more than likely recommend a refund and move on as I'm reluctant to send another package to this part of the world. I've shipped to many countries, but this particular one was a first.

Mostly a bit frustrated. What would you do?
Reeltarded

Re: What would you do?

Post by Reeltarded »

That always sucks. The shipper is always wrong..

If the guy would pay shipping I would probably immediately make a deal to replace them at a reduced price.. around my costs if I could do it.. the better you treat that guy the more internet karma is going to reward you in some way.

I'd start that conversation with "What can we do to fix this that works for both of us?".

Exposing the shipping damage on social media might fix everyone. He needs to do that part. That should be part of the deal.. right?
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The package had to be crushed to have the contents crushed or it was opened by someone smashed then resealed and delivered.

I still have packages sitting here I haven't opened in 2 years, projects I want to get to some day. My bad.

To be a good guy and company you might want to ship new pups.

Mark
Winder

Post by Winder »

Yea. I'll probably replace them or just refund the money. Damn things even look dirty, so I wonder WTF happened here (not implying the customer did this ... had to be in transit). I'm very picky regarding the fit/finish of my product. Looks like someone pulled them out of the box, laid them in the street and drove over them, and then put them back in the box. Probably scratching this country off the list for future sales.

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Oh. New models.. non-adjustable offset relics..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Winder

Post by Winder »

RIght? That takes "aging" to a whole new Pete Townshend-esque level.

Anyway, I issued a refund. Given the level of misadventure these were exposed to, I chose not to risk a second shipment and will have second thoughts on ever shipping there again. Most likely, one of the two pickups will work ... just bent mounting legs.

Funny story (well, to me). Years ago when I was still a bit green in the business, a fellow sent me a pickup to attach a new hookup since the original had been cut short. I wasn't really hip to all of the "aging" shizz. Apparently, he purchased the pickup "pre-aged" ... green gunk under the cover (patina juice?), crud all over, loose/partially stripped bobbin mounting screws ... I mean, I guess it was a really nice job. I went to town and cleaned that badboy up nice. Use the old super glue trick to re-esablish threads for securely mounting the bobbins, attached a fresh length of hookup, and was beaming inside at what a good job I did.

Oops. :D
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

lol Bill Monroe left his 1922 F-5 mandolin with Gibson to do some fret work and a little cleaning.

They refinished it with a shiny new thick lacquer job.

You can tell in pictures if it's before or after. He smacked it and broke the scroll off he was so pissed. :)
ER

Post by ER »

I alway try and insure (at my cost) stuff I ship for the purchase price. That way you can at least give them their money back. It costs a bit extra but gives both sides of the deal a little piece of mind. Haven't had to do a claim yet, knock on wood.
jelle

Post by jelle »

This sucks, the customer waited too long and let the window for filing a claim with the shipper expire. That is not your fault.

I am not sure if I feel its your problem at this point.
Winder

Post by Winder »

jelle wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:48 pm This sucks, the customer waited too long and let the window for filing a claim with the shipper expire. That is not your fault.

I am not sure if I feel its your problem at this point.
Jelle, Yea. I really don't feel it was my fault and I'm quite certain he can use the one pickup that isn't so badly damaged. Fortunately, a set of pickups isn't nearly as expensive as an amp such as what you and others here build. I see both ends of this stuff. I just refunded this customers' money to close the issue and move on. WIth the crosslide table I was ripped off on in my other post, the guy clearly lied to me and then resorted to vulgar language, etc. Lost that money too. Guess I'm just a pushover. :oops:
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I've been guilty of opening packages months later when needed to start a project. I found one with damage
(and missing components), and have inspected all incoming immediately as a result. But i see that as my failure and wouldn't think of blaming/charging anyone else.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.