Guitar Gallery Thread! Post 'em up!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sonicmojo

Re: Guitar Gallery Thread! Post 'em up!

Post by sonicmojo »

I had to jump on this '77 Ibanez 2629 for a really good price. The frets were totally flattened and I had to refret it but it is working out nicely. I need to get a proper switch button and maybe replace the Seymour Duncan in the neck with a proper Flying Fingers Ibanez Super 80. The tailpiece is not stock but I'll leave it as is. The refret went well and I don't think I need to do a full level and recrown. Someone had long fingernails as the fingerboard has all kind of divots but don't affect the playing. I always like an old guitar that has been completely worn down to the nub. I figure if someone played it that much, there must have been a good reason! I had an AS50 in high school in the 80s that got stolen so this is kinda like it. Crazy the prices on the old Ibanez Artists......
ibanez2629.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---------
Bryan
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Eric dropped off his Trini for. a refret beyond simple refret.

I remember when this guitar was a 9.7/10 in 1989.

Along side my 355 for context. lmao he sort of played this bitch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Man, I do love these older semi-hollows . I got a Flying Fingers Super 80 for the neck pickup and added a pickguard on the Ibanez 2629. This is a keeper for sure. Compared to my '70 340. The necks are night and day, Ibanez is thin and the 340 is the thickest I have ever owned. Like them both.
semis.jpg
---------
Bryan
Mark

Post by Mark »

Excuse my ignorance but who is Eric who owns the Trini 335?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Stopped by the (MIM) Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix past weekend.
Lost of cool instruments from all over the world. The have a electric guitar exhibition at the moment, including guitars owned and played by Keith Richards, Tommy Tedesco, Johnny Ramone among lots of others.

Some pics.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Eldon Shamblin's guitar? How cool is that?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Mark wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:53 am Excuse my ignorance but who is Eric who owns the Trini 335?

Eric Culberson a friend who destroys shit. hehe
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
didit

Post by didit »

Hello --

Minor brag a while back, which boldly & baldly claimed "best telecaster in the world". So sharing a few pictures of my Rutter's build.

Rutter Telecaster.jpg

As well as making his bodies & necks, Marc machines all hardware (except tuners) plus pickguards. So brass compensated saddles etc. Quite alive resonance, even unplugged. Just under 7lb. Swamp ash in "Mary Kay" inspired powder blue finish. The neck is based off soft V late '50s dimensions but 12" radius. Similar to Eric Johnson's "signature" Strat, if that helps. See closeup of headstock transition carve. Pickups wound by Jon Moore, a local Canadian that does custom winding based on exchanges around the sounds & tone sought. Fourth and most recent PU set for me, and each nailed it. This was our only deviation from Marc's standard recipes.

Rutter Closeup.jpg
Rutter Headstock.jpg

Before settling on this, had whilelong quest for a "perfect telecaster"—played many dozens both used and new, Fender & not. The "used" ranged from recent, to Japanese 70s "lawsuit" to mid-50s originals. The "new" category included Fender Custom Shop Franklin Mints, with some highly playable but butt-ugly "relic'd"; also tried a Suhr & G&L, along with misc. Danocasters, Nash, etc ... Eventually got steered to check out Mr. Rutter's. Marc is a pleasure to deal with. Emails back & forth, and we talked at length on the phone. A craftsman and this was all so well-mastered. All in was third the cost of off-the-rack "custom shop" stuff from Fullerton at my local high-end store, and way better guitar.

Brag mentioned having both. The other is elsewhere, or I'd include its photo also. A partscaster built on an inexpensive light-weight recent Fender alder body. When working with Marc on my full custom I noticed he had a few spare necks available. Inquired, and one was left from a batch he'd made up for Bill Crook to replicate one of Brad Paisley's flood-damaged instruments. Rejected as really nice but too "rock & roll", so a clear recommendation for me. Set of Jon Moore's pickups in it too, with slightly hotter winding. It's got heavier "rock & roll" tone, versus redneck twang.

So there it is .. so yell away. Or ask pointed questions. Best was the objective but it's subjective.

Best .. Ian
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

The see-thru blue is awesome! I had an Esquire like that a few years back that a friend begged me for and I constantly try to figure out ways to get it back. Super light and exceptionally resonant, but nearly identical color. I love your guitar because I sort of know it's family! Fam-Fam!
didit

Post by didit »

Thanks Miles. That colour was icing, so to speak. And I'm cool with some polite nepotism here. Tones ranging from big woody jazz, diesel-billy twang & even real roar with the right amp was the keeper. Besides that, it wants just playing.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Damn, but that's a nice Tele
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Dave for a goldtop and kept it a secret for over a month
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:21 pm Dave for a goldtop and kept it a secret for over a month
:lol: 8) I will post a picture of the girls
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Check this out...aged R8.

Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

amplifiednation wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:12 pm Check this out...aged R8.

Good color!