Just for a laugh

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Koolaide

Just for a laugh

Post by Koolaide »

I was visiting another guitar/amp site. Someone posted the question if Trainwreck, (DLM) could be the next Dumble.
No slight to Dumbles, they are great in their own right. But come on that's is like asking if Clapton could be the next John Mayer INMHO. Both great, but we know who was first.
Please understand I do not wish to start a debate as to which is better, I am simply stating that TW preceded Dumble, and I found the question amusing. YMMV.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Just for a laugh

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Not necessary to debate it. They're completely different amps for completely different purposes if you asked me.

As for 'preceded' I'd love to see some data on that. They were pretty much contemporaries from all the data I can see.

Dumble started modding amps in 1963 before he was even 21.

Trainwreck amps started in '82 and the first dumble amp was built in '78

So as far as facts go, it seems more likely to me that dumble preceded trainwreck no?

Not that big of a deal, though, as mentioned above they're tonally very different amps, for different uses.

I personally would qualify them both as great amp builders, on par with one another's knowledge and skill. From my limited knowledge and experience of them and amps... ;)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Here is some recent discussion about the DLM with a new piece from John Mark, the current builder for Trainwreck amps.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33087
Koolaide

Post by Koolaide »

"So as far as facts go, it seems more likely to me that dumble preceded trainwreck no?

Not that big of a deal, though, as mentioned above they're tonally very different amps, for different uses.

I personally would qualify them both as great amp builders, on par with one another's knowledge and skill. From my limited knowledge and experience of them and amps... ;)"
Well said Phil.
Maybe the jokes on me, either way still humorous. :lol: And both still great amps/builders.