Good recent guitar music?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mlp-mx6

Good recent guitar music?

Post by mlp-mx6 »

I was just listening to my Hellecasters CD the other day, and it occurred to me that it has been a long time since I found some really good instrumental guitar music.

What are you guys listening to that you would recommend to an eclectic music collector?
NitroLiq

Re: Good recent guitar music?

Post by NitroLiq »

Tommy Emmanuel (killer acoustic player) For Elelctric, I've been diggin clips I've heard from this guy at the gearpage named "John Ziegler"....do a search on his name or "no quarterz" and you'll find some cool clips...kind of like scott henderson meets Frank Gambale.
dogears

Post by dogears »

Johnny is a good bud of mine... Nicest dude you could ever meet. Great player...
NitroLiq wrote:Tommy Emmanuel (killer acoustic player) For Elelctric, I've been diggin clips I've heard from this guy at the gearpage named "John Ziegler"....do a search on his name or "no quarterz" and you'll find some cool clips...kind of like scott henderson meets Frank Gambale.
Wayne Alexander

Post by Wayne Alexander »

Sonny Landreth "Grant Street" live album. He plays mostly slide Cajun/Swamp/Boogie stuff, about half of which is instrumental. Very good at it, if you like that sort of thing.
dogears

Post by dogears »

Just grab all the tracks in here

www.scottlernermusic.com/shawn

It is an assortment of not very well known players or rare mp3s.

You won't be sorry.
jazzyjoepass

Post by jazzyjoepass »

NitroLiq wrote:Tommy Emmanuel (killer acoustic player) For Elelctric, I've been diggin clips I've heard from this guy at the gearpage named "John Ziegler"....do a search on his name or "no quarterz" and you'll find some cool clips...kind of like scott henderson meets Frank Gambale.
Tommy's a great acoustic guitarist. He's from down under and plays a mean electric too - a 60s sunburst 3 pickup tele. Awarded CGP (certified guitar player) by Chet Atkins and is the guy to carry the torch since Chet passed away.

Robben Ford and Larry Carlton actually played on one of his albums - both played ES335s thru Dumbles. For those who'd like to hear different tastes of ES335 thru dumble check out the "Can't Get Enough" album. I like Robben's tone on the "Reggies Groove" track.

BTW, Tommy's elder brother Phil Emmanuel is also an incredible guitarist. Some say even better!!!
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

Thanks!

Where did you get that Benson? I haven't been able to find that much live stuff of his.

Have you heard the recording where he sits in with Lonnie Smith and Ronnie Cuber in '99 at Smoke's in NYC?

My favorite solo of his would have to be "I'll Drink To That" on Jimmy Smith's "Off The Top" - faster than hell but makes sense.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Dogears
... Nicest dude you could ever meet. Great player...
Thanks for the great tracks!!
NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq »

jazzyjoepass wrote:Tommy's a great acoustic guitarist. He's from down under and plays a mean electric too - a 60s sunburst 3 pickup tele. Awarded CGP (certified guitar player) by Chet Atkins and is the guy to carry the torch since Chet passed away.
I first saw him in concert on some broadcast show on PBS or something....it's been along time since I was seriously captivated by watching a guitarist play but Tommy is just so brilliant as a player and entertainer...just awesome.
dogears wrote:Johnny is a good bud of mine... Nicest dude you could ever meet. Great player...
Again, I haven't been into the fast guitar acrobatics since the 80s but John has a great style, tone, and knows how to build up a solo for intensity...just love how he uses notes outside the scale when he solos....If I lived out in CA, I would definitely be inquiring about lessons. Insane player.
Richie

Post by Richie »

if your into older guitar riff stuff.. along with some other nice guitar check out the samples here.. The Band Plakton is cool..they use old marshalls and pedals guitars and stuff. Thomas Larrson is also pretty good..
lots to choose from..
http://www.grooveyardrecords.com/mp3.html

another place you can get lost in listening to clips is here..
http://www.guitar9.com/search.html

Richie
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

Yeah, Plankton is the bomb... Thanks for posting that Richie - I had their debut album, but didnt know they had done more... Now I have three new cd's on the way!
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

I love Plankton. I have the first two. Didn't know they had a more. I'll buy everything they put out. Those guys have great phrasing. The drummer and bass player are no slouches either.
Omar

Post by Omar »

Holy smokes! Thanks for the link to the Plankton mp3's. They are awesome!

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Check out Johnny A, he's SUPER tasteful, and about anyone on the Favored Nations Label.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
pedro

Post by pedro »

Scott,
thanks ..
just loved the mike miller track i d/loaded from your shawn folder !

tried to find more of his stuff but cant find any material to buy ??

any idea where I can get more of his stuff ? Anyone ?

cheers
Pete C