What amp do you..........

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blind Lemon

What amp do you..........

Post by Blind Lemon »

play through when you have family at home. I'm trying to get an idea of what type and wattage amp people are playing to least disturb family.

I play a 5F2a and it can be too loud when I get carried away. I also have a 1/3 watt that I built, but its really not quite enough.

BL
Andy Le Blanc

Re: What amp do you..........

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

practice unplugged, Everyone, will love you more.

(twenty years married, wife, kids, and mother-in-law)
lazymaryamps
Blind Lemon

Post by Blind Lemon »

Unacceptable........there must be wattage..........

Got you beat,,,,,30years in September,,,,,,,,same girl too :shock:

BL
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I'm have always played full out either in the garage or basement. I have built a headphone amp and used that for awhile but not my cup of tea. I am waiting to either buy or build the Hall Amplification little devil amp for quiet practise.

Mark
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

Blind Lemon wrote:play through when you have family at home. I'm trying to get an idea of what type and wattage amp people are playing to least disturb family.
Marshall Major. Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out!! :twisted:

Everyone in my family is disturbed to begin with. It's simply a matter of degree... :lol:
Stanz

Post by Stanz »

My rocket with a version of VVR works well. Starting with 30 watts allows lowering the power to acceptable levels and still having it sound pretty good. I now call it the marriage saver.
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

There's a hearing impaired honey workin' at the local supermarket, I'm thinkin' she's my Dream Girl. She's cute and she's got hearing aids in both ears. Take 'em out, I can play as loud as I want whenever I want...

We used to jam at a buddy's apartment, the landlord was deaf. The neighbors would call the cops, the cops would come over and talk to the landlord, he had no idea what the fuss was all about! Sometimes when ya got it good you got it really good... :lol:
I believe in this and it's tested by research...
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

CaseyJones wrote:There's a hearing impaired honey workin' at the local supermarket...
CJ :!: YOU ARE BA-A-A-A-D-D-D-D TO THE BONE :twisted:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

that was awesome

As a side note, why is it dumb.. people... talk more... odd.

Oh, a Randall RG-80 makes a great practice amp with the *whatever* knob pulled out. It's like a .05wt fire.
Blind Lemon

Post by Blind Lemon »

I'm getting ready to start another Rocket, and I have not messed with the VVR yet. I don't realistically believe that it will bring this amp down to the volume levels we're talking about though.

BL
SiriusAbbott

Post by SiriusAbbott »

Hey BL
I tend to use 2 mini Marshall stacks(one an MG-15 :? )and split my signal to both with my stereo chorus.
I can play with the sustain and some of the nuance I expect from my big amps,but at a "living room and still hear the TV volume" :D
the other half of my mini marshall stack duo is an ancient micro-bass that is starting to go a bit wonky......hence why I PM'd you about building a Deacy sounding 5-15W that will fit in the existing head box(with added ventilation of course)
I 'spose I could just buy one of those baby epis and modify it....but I have that "Peckerhead" issue now....nothing else sounds as good 8)
"Im sold...I want it....how much is this going to hurt?!"
roadkingbluzs

What amp do you...

Post by roadkingbluzs »

If you play good, crank, if not, stick to 3 watter :wink:
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I use a 15 watt AC15-ish amp with an Altair attenuator. Sometimes, I will skip the attenuator, turn the amp way down, and use a Box Of Rock pedal to get some tone. I manage to play at 1am with these setups, and not wake anyone - and oddly enough, it is still satisfying. Much more satisfying than the POD XT headphone thing, or the computer based emulations and headphones.
alienlovefreak69

Post by alienlovefreak69 »

I actually use a couple of Danelectro 10w or 15w amps for teaching with, but other than teaching I use the same setup as I use on stage. 100w & 60w amps. I'm really bad about having to hear a certain sound in order to give 100%. If I don't have the tone I want I tend to have trouble playing for some odd reason? I do keep the volumes down, but it's still the same setup.
alienlovefreak69

Post by alienlovefreak69 »

Oh yeah, by the way. Those little Dano Nifty Fifty amps kick butt for transister practice amps! Everyone who comes over & trys em' is amazed how good they sound. I only bought em' because that was the only 2 practice amps my buddy had in his store that matched when I started teaching again. I didn't even plug em' in to try out until I had my 1st lesson a week later. They could have sucked bad & I wouldn't have even known. :-P