How many people are building amps right now?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

muchxs

How many people are building amps right now?

Post by muchxs »

Anyone? Who is building right now? What do you have in progress?

Here's what I'm working on now:

I can't seem to keep a tweed Deluxe around so it's time to build another one. The parts keep stacking up, it's just time...

I'm going to build something simple for the snoozy DIY thread over at the TDPRI. The concept is simple, keep it simple and spend as little money as possible. I'm keeping the bottom line to myself for now but this can be done on the super cheap. The difference here is it's not going to look cheap or sound cheap.

I have five tweed Super chassis I should do something with...
Blind Lemon

Re: How many people are building amps right now?

Post by Blind Lemon »

Just finished a Rocket and am working on a Blues Driver, its a parallel single ended with 5881s. It's one of my "designs" (stole all the ideas :twisted: ) that I could make a little better.

Hey a.........I've been wanting to build a tweed Pro........in fact I have a 15" Weber Alnico..........if I only had a chassis..............

BL
Last edited by Blind Lemon on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

As soon as the flood is over and I can get my stuff back into the basement I will continue with my Swamp Thing single ended project.

Furnice repair guy just left so I need a new furnance price: $2500 and up, rats.

Mark
briane

Post by briane »

Finishing up a SVT (though my own pre-amp design). Just finished a SSS derivitive....somw tweaking left but this is as close to where it should be in a year or so...Really happy with that build now.

going to do a 'cosmetically challenged' builld of the clean only channel of a twin reverb next(in a matchbox sized chassy noneless)....Had a real nice one in the shop recently, really liked it. Want to see how close I can get with really cheap parts, aside from some PIO caps that are going in.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
Stanz

Post by Stanz »

6v6 plexi that I can switch to JCM800 mode. Footswitch to toggle between ch 1 or ch 2, and a 2nd switch to turn on both channels. This would be for plexi mode obviously.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Stanz wrote:6v6 plexi that I can switch to JCM800 mode. Footswitch to toggle between ch 1 or ch 2, and a 2nd switch to turn on both channels. This would be for plexi mode obviously.
Got a schematic to share? :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

I just deliverd a 100 watt amp (see the thread in Dumble forum).

Now I've started on two amps that will become a "standard" for me, and I call her Roxi. It's sort of a Rocket-meets-Plexi design with a pair of cathode bias 6V6s.

I'm working on some unique things for function and looks. I will have part of a table at Summer NAMM this year to launch Roxi.

I'll be sharing the table with Troy Post, who builds great guitars here in the Charlottesville, VA, area.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

Hiwatt DR-201 clone is nearly done. Then the other three unfinished projects that are half done, plus a one wire mod to my JTM 45 for more JCM800 sound. Plus Lord knows what else...
Stanz

Post by Stanz »

Structo wrote:
Stanz wrote:6v6 plexi that I can switch to JCM800 mode. Footswitch to toggle between ch 1 or ch 2, and a 2nd switch to turn on both channels. This would be for plexi mode obviously.
Got a schematic to share? :D
I do not have a schematic for this specific build, but it is primarily Mark Huss' design with the switching added in.

http://mhuss.com/Plexi6V6/Plexi6V6c.gif

Relays are used for the switches and I am simply grounding the inputs to V2a grid, before the 470K mixing resistors to toggle between Ch1 & Ch2. The AB "both" switch simply opens the power to both relays turning on both channels. No footswitch will leave both channels running with volume controls on the front being your main control over channels.

The JCM800 switch is taking V1a plate and feeding it to V1b grid. KOC has a project over at PowerScaling.com for a plexi that incorporates this switch. I did modify his design in that I am using only one jack for inputs, not the old standard of four.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Interesting Stan.
My Hammond organ conversion amp started out as a Deluxe but gradually morphed into basically what you show there.
Although I only used one preamp stage then the PI and 6V6's.
I wish I had room for another 12ax7!

I didn't like the cathodyne splitter or the tone stack of the Deluxe I was trying to build so I went the Plexi way.
Sounds great too.

Thanks.
Tom

mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

Just took a break from building a Princeton clone. Ran out of grounding lugs and had to run to Rat Shack. They will do in a pinch. I have a 18 watt Lite IIb that I am 3/4 of the way done. Set it aside and haven't got back to it yet. I have pulled the parts and built the eyelet boards for a Trainwreck DLM SE Rocket pre and EL34 power. Pulled the parts for a "Good Girl" SE KT88 clean amp,, an Octal One (may or may not do that one) and one more that I forgot to put a card in the bag so I don't remember what amp they are for. It will come to me.

Thanks to all of the guys on here who have freely given help and expertise.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Radio Shack had grounding lugs?
I am amazed.
I thought they only sold cell phones and batteries anymore.... :?
Tom

John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Tom,

I have not been there for a while, but over at AX84 they have a "Plexi", October / November ??? or something like that, IIRC, that has several front end switching schemes.

Amps for me, I'm in the middle of a damn divorce :evil: after 20 years, guess those 5 Xformer sets can be built up guilt free now... :twisted:

I am about to build a wild 2,3, or 4 stage selectable preamp chasing the fusion tones in my head. Can't listen to the blues any more, seems that every song is about my situation...

The pre-amp mentioned above just might make it into a SE 6v6 amp for my 11 year old daughter... To take to her mom's house of course :twisted:

John
Deric

Post by Deric »

I have a Lite IIb mostly done for a good buddy who builds cabs for me now and then. Got the tube sockets mounted, heaters wired, transformers mounted, cap can, stand-offs for the board, pots etc... Went to mount the board and realized I drilled the entire chassis back-ass-wards. Doh! Ordered a new blank chassis....

Have an empty D Lite chassis and head cab sitting here that I picked up 2nd hand. Not sure what to build with it. Maybe an HRM - never played one yet... Or a 4-holer... or a 50 watter with reverb.....

Recently picked up a cheap hammered Blues Jr. to convert to something. Was surfing the net for ideas and I really like S2's Jim and Leo - an 18 watt and a Deluxe in the same box. I've been meaning to build a Deluxe for a while...and I really dig my 18watt.

But for now, I'm packing everything up for a move.... :?
Deric®
billyz

Post by billyz »

2 6v6 combos, 1 el34 head,a mini 1 watt amp. 3 extension cabs 1x12 and 2x10. And all the other repairs, mods and rush jobs . But, I still find time to do a little yard/garden work, the roses are blooming and the Lemon tree too.