What amps do you play thru that are not your builds?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

chimeboss

Re: What amps do you play thru that are not your builds?

Post by chimeboss »

malt wrote:Hi, I have an old Vingtor that i play at home nice old amp from 1963..

[IMG:600:800]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/ ... G_0653.jpg[/img]
Thats killer!
Ive never seen one of those.
Tell us more about it.
Thanks

BTW- Nice P90 Gibby!
ER

Post by ER »

My grab and go amp is a '63 RI vibroverb, easy to move, good stage volume, and hard to get a bad sound from it.

Hey gearhead, what is that K&M like? When I bought the vibroverb I tried it out next to a K&M prototype that was a modified blackface bandmaster with 2-10" jensens, tilt legs, black tolex, foot switch for reverb and trem.
Very similar amps but I could only take one home and went with the vibroverb, wish I could have taken them both home. Back then a modified fender wasn't very appealing value wise and I prefered the sound of the vibroverb after 4 agonizing hours of back and forth, I dimed them with the trem on and that was the deal breaker.

Hi Mark, glad you're enjoying the hiwatt! Wish I still had my custom 50 and the 4-12 fane that came with the lead 100.

-Erik
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

I have a K&M Kustom, as well. Just like the Two Rock Custom Reverb without the reverb.
Great amp :!: I use it as a backup for my Express clone.
I am privileged to also own:
AC30TB, AC15
DR. Z Mazerati, Delta 88
Maven Peal Zeeta
Swart Atomic Space Tone
Victoria 45410
Marshall JCM900 100W
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

It sounds like sweet heaven. The ultimate lead amp (for me). It just sings, lots of sweet harmonics, ever so sligthly spongey, but with a nice cutting edge. Got it over on TGP and the guy who sold it to me emails me every 6 months (for the last 4-5 years). He want's it back, lol.

It's a one of a kind. K&M Custom Prototype #4 was one of 10 they built while honing in on the eventual Custom design. This one has a switchable, built in Dumbleator that kicks it over the top and is what makes it special. Believe it has NOS tubes, but has been a while since I took it apart. Initially had to to determine what the impdence selector values were; it has a different transformer in it than Customs. Opal? I once knew, but have forgotten (top value of 8 ohms vs 16). Talked with the TR guys and id'd by transformer wire colors.

Been trying to find anything close, but no luck so far. Have actually toyed with the idea of trying to clone it, but have been busy with my TR bulds.

You got a Maven Peal? I had a Ganesha once, and it was a beast. Too much for even me. Was always curious about the Zeeta. Dave Z.'s a really great guy.
Structo

Post by Structo »

malt wrote:Hi, I have an old Vingtor that i play at home nice old amp from 1963..

I think I have heard of those before but Google doesn't turn up much at all.

Can you tell us more about it? Era? Circuit?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
malt

Post by malt »

Structo wrote:

I think I have heard of those before but Google doesn't turn up much at all.

Can you tell us more about it? Era? Circuit?
Hi, the amp is made in Norway thats probably the reason you cant find anny thing on google :D . It's a Vingtor ROCK got one 10" one ecc 12ax7 and one ecl 86 , controls are vol tone trem. nice little sucker. The speaker is a seas, the sticker inside says 14/11- 1963 (or us 11/14 1963). :D the amp is made in Haugesund in Norway by Vingtor the made several amps, don't know much of the Vingtor history ,but the family is still holding on to the name so there may be more amps made. I don't have a Shem on the amp but I'm trying to get a original Shem for the amp. I may change the speaker to some thing better, sadly the old seas is more of a hifi speaker. some more pic :

[IMG:800:600]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/ ... ure043.jpg[/img]

[IMG:800:600]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/ ... ure045.jpg[/img]

[IMG:800:600]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/ ... ure048.jpg[/img]

[IMG:800:600]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/ ... ure051.jpg[/img]
Last edited by malt on Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Since Malt is not yet chiming in, I can answer a few questions...
Vingtor was an electronics co. founded in Norway in 1946, mainly producing radios and amplifiers. There were several models, ,the early ones typically 5-10 W combo, or suitcase models, where you lifted the amp out of the suitcase, which then became the speaker cab.
My father was an accordeon freak, and off and on ( mostly on)had his own trio ( sometimes a quartet) from the early 50s until he retired in 1990. Even after that, the same old trio used to perform at retired citizen events, ever still popular. One of the guitarists had one of these suitcase models, which I've been loking for strictly for nostalgic reasons.
The company later turned into ultrasonic equipment and later being swallowed and reformed turned into Vingmed, a co. specializing in medical electronics with an international merit. Now mostly owned by GE, I think....
If you google " Vingtor forsterker" ( norw. for amplifier) you might find some more piccies, but there's not a lot of them.......

EDIT: Seems like Malt was writing simultanseously... now you got the details both of the amp and the company...... :)
Structo

Post by Structo »

That is a seriously cool retro amp.

I like the little legs on it, reminds me of those old TV sets or radios.

I had to look up the ECL86 tube.

Half triode and half pentode.

Apparently only 4 watt output.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Blindog

Post by Blindog »

ER wrote:
Hi Mark, glad you're enjoying the hiwatt! Wish I still had my custom 50 and the 4-12 fane that came with the lead 100.

-Erik
Yes, it's a great sounding amp. I really enjoyed restoring it as much as playing it 8) I'd love to hear it with a Fane loaded cab though.

Mark
"- Yeah, can we have everything louder than everything else? Right!"- Ian Gillan
Buschman

Post by Buschman »

59 Bassman, Alamo Paragon, Magnatone Troubador. I sold all the BF Fender stuff to by other toys.
I've got blisters on my fingers!
malt

Post by malt »

Structo wrote:That is a seriously cool retro amp.

I like the little legs on it, reminds me of those old TV sets or radios.

I had to look up the ECL86 tube.

Half triode and half pentode.

Apparently only 4 watt output.
The ecl 86 has some fans, the 1930 marshall whit ecl86 tubes, some say it's got a smoother distortion than EL84's .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
malt

Post by malt »

Buschman wrote:59 Bassman, Alamo Paragon, Magnatone Troubador. I sold all the BF Fender stuff to by other toys.
Hi, Buschman can you post any pic's of the Magnatone Troubador?
jezzbo

Post by jezzbo »

Fender Super ChampXD.
not expensive good tone practice amp. (IMHO)
mumford

Post by mumford »

1930s Gibson EH150 with I think 6c5 power tubes--plug into the mic input and it is super noisy, but incredible in a hot-rod marshall kind of way. I had a 6v6 model from a year later and it was nowhere nearly as cool sounding.
Jana

Post by Jana »

Amps I own or play through that are not my own builds? None. :)