Twin PA Valve Junior with Power Scaling

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

UR12

Re: Twin PA Valve Junior with Power Scaling

Post by UR12 »

mooreamps wrote: If Dana were to talk to me, nicely, she'd find out I'd be more forth coming.

-g

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just to set the record straight for anyone else who thinks I am a she you might be :shock: to find out that i'm a HE. Gary, my design goal is to get you to be LESS forth coming. You just don't understand :lol: :lol: :lol:
benoit wrote:
Well, if you don't mind, I'm going to find out for myself, give the man a fair shake. I don't blame you for your opinion, and I'm sure you have your reasons, but as long as I'm just talking to someone and not doing business with them I like to form an opinion based on my own experience rather than hearsay.
Absolutly!
benoit wrote: I am a little confused, though, as you are, what the point of this thread was, originally.
Exactly!

benoit wrote:I'll be honest, I have yet to hear a good sounding VJ clip.
+1
brownnote

Post by brownnote »

benoit wrote:What exactly does BITE stand for/mean? I did a quick google search but didn't come up with anything.
I believe it's Built In Test Equipment, but I'm sure it could stand for other things too.
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

D'Lite Kits: http://store.bnamp.com/dlitekits.html
brownnote

Post by brownnote »

mooreamps wrote:
benoit wrote:...but in a valve jr, why bother? I'm not having a go at you, but honestly want to know.
...for professional recording it's hard to beat.
-g
Come on now... :roll:
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

D'Lite Kits: http://store.bnamp.com/dlitekits.html
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

brownnote wrote:
benoit wrote:What exactly does BITE stand for/mean? I did a quick google search but didn't come up with anything.
I believe it's Built In Test Equipment, but I'm sure it could stand for other things too.

Brownnote is correct.
-g
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

Gary, my design goal is to get you to be LESS forth coming. You just don't understand
Why would that be your design goal ? I thought this was a forum for talking about building "tube amps".. I design and build tube amps.. What am I missing something ?????

-g
Ears

Post by Ears »

Sheesh guys, I'm a newbie but not uninformed in an elec-engineering sense. The groups name is 'the amp garage' so I've treated it as such - a great ampsite with added bonus of including Dumble TW forums. I never saw any disclaimer forbidding discussion of other amps. I'd be annoyed if it included such.
I don't want to complain, but you are refering to threads in other groups without links or addresses to the group under discussion, these posts go down for ever so an awful lot of people are never going to know what you refer to - but more importantly most aren't interested in personal politics - well I speak for myself anyway.
If I don't like a post, or if I am consistently irritated with another's posts, I just exercise my right not to read them.
Voodoo_Man

Post by Voodoo_Man »

benoit wrote: I am a little confused, though, as you are, what the point of this thread was, originally.
Advertising.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

mooreamps wrote: What am I missing something ?????

-g
Yes you are! Humility, Social skills, The nature of this forum.
benoit

Post by benoit »

Vaporized
Last edited by benoit on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

the other amp builders, some of them, they just don't want me on the web. They call me arragant, even when I take time out of my day to provide free engineering support for the amp building community. Now it is true sometimes I will not just give out the "answer" just right away, as I would prefer to see someone become able to work out the solution for themselves. But if someone really gets into a bind, I'll point out what to do.

Some of my custom builds are now being played regularly here in the bay area as I am collecting a small following of guitar players looking for something different than the traditional "Fender" or "Marshall" sounds.

-g
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

mooreamps wrote:the other amp builders, some of them, they just don't want me on the web. They call me arragant, even when I take time out of my day to provide free engineering support for the amp building community. Now it is true sometimes I will not just give out the "answer" just right away, as I would prefer to see someone become able to work out the solution for themselves. But if someone really gets into a bind, I'll point out what to do.

Some of my custom builds are now being played regularly here in the bay area as I am collecting a small following of guitar players looking for something different than the traditional "Fender" or "Marshall" sounds.

-g
Yea! You were a big help in this thread!
http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... sc&start=0

I love this one
mooreamps wrote:I have a question. What would be my benefit if I taught you guys power scaling.

The answer to this question is not Advertising although a good guess.
benoit wrote:I am a little confused, though, as you are, what the point of this thread was, originally.
The answer is EGO! He's gonna teach all of us how to build amps the right way because we've all been doing it wrong for 20 years. :lol:

I gotta go to band practice. See ya! :mrgreen:
UR12

Post by UR12 »

mooreamps wrote:the other amp builders, some of them, they just don't want me on the web. They call me arragant, even when I take time out of my day to provide free engineering support for the amp building community. Now it is true sometimes I will not just give out the "answer" just right away, as I would prefer to see someone become able to work out the solution for themselves. But if someone really gets into a bind, I'll point out what to do.

-g
Gary

I am probably the last person to offer someone advice so take this with a grain of salt. I really don’t think that people don’t want you on the web, myself included. I would say that probably 90% of the guys on the forums that have a lot of experience with amps are here as hobbyists and love working on amps whether it is repairing them, building them or designing them. We don’t see it like it is “taking time out of our day to provide free engineering support for the amp building community” We see it as having fun helping someone get their amp built and working. Hell I still get excited for guys who finish their first build. If you put it like you did “offering free support” it sounds like your losing money by being here. Believe it or not there are guys out here that could care less about money. I’m not in it for the money. I just enjoy building amps. There is nothing that you have in the way of designs that I want or need. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to hear what you have to say, but if you come across as you do in most cases with the attitude that what ever you designed is better than anything else that has ever been built, or you need to teach us or talk down to us because we are not on your level, I don’t care if you just got the Flux capacitor working your attitude is a turn off and people loose interest in what you have to say.

There are a lot of other guys on this forum that are here to learn and I believe that no matter how much you think you know there is always someone else out there that may have an idea or two that you never thought about or a different way to do the same thing. I don’t think I will ever stop learning. You should be honored that someone takes their time to offer constructive criticism. They are taking their time to tell you what they think whether you agree with them or not. You can humbly agree to disagree. I agree with you as far as giving out answers. Some people want to be spoon fed and have a gimme gimme gimme attitude and this also turns me off. This is the attitude of a lot of the newbies on the VJ forum and one of the reasons I don’t hang there.

I am glad for you that you are developing a following of guitar players. I am an ex drummer and don’t play guitar. There is no better feeling to have someone play something that you built with your own two hands. There are a lot of guys on this site who have amps in the hands of some very special players.

So I guess my advice is that you are really no different than most of us here. If you could somehow find a way to loose the my stuff is better than anyone else’s attitude and quit talking down to us like we are all below you level of intelligence you just might fit in somewhere. If you decide that we are all full of crap and your posts are not arrogant and condescending then I guess you will keep hearing the same comments over and over no matter where you go on the web. So there ya go. I just gave you 30 minutes out of my busy schedule to give you my heart felt thoughts. Take it or leave it (no charge). It really makes no difference to me.
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

That was a kick back responce to all of the flaming I was getting at the time. You should have seen some of the messages I used to get "just" for mentioning adding a screen grid resistor to a power tube. I really got 'nailed" for posting that one.
-g
nickt

Post by nickt »

HeeBGB wrote: Yea! You were a big help in this thread!
http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... sc&start=0
Not taking sides here - looks like the thread has been moderated out of existence (like most of the rest of 18 watt :cry: )
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

I'm not trying to take anyone down. You read my initial posts, and it's other people un-corking on me. Besides, I have working prototypes. I design and build new circuits, and then post some of my research on design work for a guitar amp, on "oh my god" post on a public forum that talks about "building guitar amps", I have no control over that.

-g