Canadian Postal System

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

boots

Canadian Postal System

Post by boots »

Has anybody else had trouble with parcels "disappearing" out of the Canadian postal system?

I shipped an amp to Canada a while back and after it cleared customs, it disappeared. My local post office hinted that such problems are not uncommon when shipping parcels to Canada.

Still waiting to see if the Canadian PO will declare it lost so I can file the insurance claim.

I'm guessing that some punk postal worker snabbed it off the belt and took it home. At least, I hope somebody is enjoying the amp. I'd hate to think it ended up in a dumpster somewhere.
Cliff Schecht

Re: Canadian Postal System

Post by Cliff Schecht »

It happened to me here (in Amuurica). I had a head shell that was delivered and had the little slip and everything. When I went to pick it up they couldn't find it..
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
MCK

Post by MCK »

Its called Postal Tax... :evil: sorry this happened to you. Happened to me as well and I raised lots of noise and somehow my package was found... Suggestion to you is to call Canada Post customer service, give them the tracking # and ask. They will tell you what you can already see on tracking. Insist on talking to a superviser and then insist on opening an inquiry ticket. Don't let go until you get a inquiry number... Good luck.
tele caster

Post by tele caster »

I never had a problem importing into Canada. If it cleared customs, it's still in the system somewhere. How long ago was it sent? As said above, You could call Canada post to find out. A signature, ID, and tax would have to be paid to receive it.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

USPS tracking won't work once it clears the border if that's what your referring too. Same thing going opposite way...
MCK

Post by MCK »

ChrisM wrote:USPS tracking won't work once it clears the border if that's what your referring too. Same thing going opposite way...
I find that it works for me. Strange
ApexJr.

Post by ApexJr. »

MCK wrote:Its called Postal Tax... :evil: sorry this happened to you. Happened to me as well and I raised lots of noise and somehow my package was found... Suggestion to you is to call Canada Post customer service, give them the tracking # and ask. They will tell you what you can already see on tracking. Insist on talking to a superviser and then insist on opening an inquiry ticket. Don't let go until you get a inquiry number... Good luck.
Stay on this...
I sent a subwoofer amp to Canada and it was damaged in shipping
I put in a claim and everytime I called USPS they told me it was in Canada
post and they were waiting for an answer.. A long time went by
(My fault) and I got a letter that the person moved and they
dishonored my claim.
boots

Post by boots »

The tracking site says it is sitting in the destination PO waiting to be picked up, the addressee has been notified.

The addressee (my "customer") claims he was indeed notified to pick up a parcel, but when he went to pick it up, it was nowhere to be found. That was December 14. I did call and start an "inquiry". Apparently, I can't file the insurance claim until the inquiry is complete, that is supposed to take 23 business days.

I'm trying to imagine all the ways a scam could be pulled. I sure hope I don't have to refund the customer's money without being able to collect the insurance. I'm barely breaking even on this amp as it is!
rsalinger

Post by rsalinger »

As a Canadian working/living abroad I ship and receive many parcels from "home"... guitars, amps, clothing, gear, magazines, furniture... whatnot.

I have never, in the 11 years I've worked abroad (currently, in Portugal), ever had a single issue/complaint with regards to CanadaPost. Never. Maybe, I just got lucky? I think that the bigger issue at hand is the ineffective communication between postal systems, customs offices, tax systems, archaic burocratic hierarchies and regulatory entities. This is not exclusively a American/Canadian problem. It's universal. Anyone ever deal with the Italian Postal Service? LOL

Then there´s that sticky matter: international safety standards... whos’ standards? Not to mention the red tape associated with import/export laws between sovereign nations… when the issue o transborder commerce arises.

However, it is getting better, perhaps. Does anyone remember what a headache import/export was before the first NAFTA Agreement?

Cheers,
Rob
Music is an expression of the inexpressable ~ Vernon Reid, Musician.
David Root

Post by David Root »

I've lived in Canada the last 3 years, buy lots of stuff, mostly in the States, and have not yet had anything go AWOL in either country.

Sometimes stuff takes three weeks or so to get to me, I recently had a package from Juneau Alaska take almost three weeks to get to Vancouver BC, which puzzled me, but it did arrive safely.

At least now I know what to do if something does go astray, thanx for the tips!
boots

Post by boots »

I appreciate all the comments.

I am still waiting for the "inquiry" to be completed. The addresse said he received a letter from the USPS with some questions for him to answer, and he returned it to the USPS in Denver. USPS is supposed to contact me when they resolve it, according to him. That was several weeks ago and so far, I haven't heard from them. Seems like if they can't produce the parcel, they need to pay the insurance claim.

My mind still runs wild wondering if the addressee could have pulled a scam. I imagine all it takes is having a buddy at the post office or the customs office to "lose" the package for you. But I have to give everybody the benefit of the doubt.
boots

Post by boots »

MauiBoy's post on shipping amps reminded me of this old thread. Here is how it turned out.

Because it was an international deal, things were not straight forward. The inquiry finally showed that the Canadian postal system was unable to account for the package, so that enabled me to file an insurance claim with the US Postal System. The paperwork to file a claim was pretty simple. It took a couple months before I heard anything from USPO - I thought they had blown me off, but they did indeed send me a check for the full amount, which I refunded to the customer. I did make sure to send the refund via registered mail, which required his signature upon receipt. I never heard another word from him again.

So I guess I sold an amp to the Post Office. I will never know what really happened to the amp. It's possible the original addressee or one of his buddies has it, and is enjoying it. It's also possible that some corrupt Canadian postal employee or customs dude has it, and is enjoying it. It's also possible that it ended up dumped in a ditch somewhere in the Great White North, with the NOS tubes broken and my painstaking wood work and the Eminence speaker all trashed.

I broke even financially, but I never got the experience of a happy customer. What a nightmare. I don't think I will ever try to ship an amp to Canada again.

Live and learn.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I haven't had any problems with Canadian Postal system.

Mark
Structo

Post by Structo »

Man that sucks when stuff goes missing.

The only experience I have had with the Canadian Post was when I bought a CE Chassis.
Took just a bit longer than a typical shipment in the states but that was probably due to customs.

It is a very serious crime here to steal anything in the postal system.

I am kind of surprised that I actually get stuff when I buy it online.
Never had anything not show up and that includes stuff from China........:shock:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
billyz

Post by billyz »

I just sent an amp to Saskatchewan. We used the USPS Int'l Priorty .
Was only allowed to insure for $675. We do not know if the owner will have to pay Duties, he said it is a crap shoot.

Guess I'll find out soon how it goes.

Z