Fairchild

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

angelodp

Fairchild

Post by angelodp »

Great doc on PBS about the history of Fairchild semi-conductors. Heady days.
martin manning

Re: Fairchild

Post by martin manning »

I think you are talking about the American Experience program on Silicon Valley, no? I saw that and, being a fan of the history of technology, enjoyed it very much. You can watch full length episodes from this series here: http://video.pbs.org/program/american-experience/
angelodp

Yes

Post by angelodp »

Hi Martin, yes thats the series. Really well done.

A
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Dang! I was hoping this thread had something to do with Morgan Fairchild. Yeh, that's the ticket...

About the company, run by fuddy duddy stick-in-the-muds. Anybody that was smart, got out. And started their own semi companies, and went on to success.

I'm a former Fairchild Semicondutor employee, and all too familiar with management's "don't rock the boat" attitude. It's likely the boat would have sunk if Schlumberger hadn't taken over.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

You ought to check out the documentary.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Saw this the other night, it was very well done. I really enjoyed it.

When I watched it there was no commercials so it was just 2 hours of electronics goodness.
angelodp

top notch

Post by angelodp »

It really highlighted the brilliance of our culture when allowed to flourish. We need a renaissance of American ingenuity. This is the great experiment in the world.

A
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Experiment called off for rain. Get some boots!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
cbass

Re: top notch

Post by cbass »

angelodp wrote:It really highlighted the brilliance of our culture when allowed to flourish. We need a renaissance of American ingenuity. This is the great experiment in the world.

A
We gonna have to redo our education system before that can happen because its totally screwed,Its ok to be dumb now good job atleast you kinda tried We'll reward you just like the kid thats smart cuase he works his ass off.Or I guess old guys are gonna have to do it.
cbass

Post by cbass »

We think we're so smart with all our technology and gadgets.Its really just made everyones mind weak.

How many 8th graders could even begin to pass this test nowdays.
Hell how many adults could pass it.

http://maggiesfarm.anotherdotcom.com/ar ... -1895.html
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I could pass it. (up)

My attention span is 2 seconds, my patience is shortened by 1 second for each additional second. I start out with 13 seconds of patience.

If a woman starts playing woman games on me at 7 seconds after midnight at what time do I start bashing my own head with a hammer?

The answer is 8 seconds after midnight. I have already had this conversation before and I am not waiting til the end to start bleeding out this time.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Business will have to start thinking past the next quarter's numbers again too. For those who like to read about this kind of stuff I recommend "Crystal Fire" by Riordan and Hoddeson, and "The Idea Factory, Bell Labs and the great age of American innovation" by Jon Gertner.
Phazor

Post by Phazor »

Thanks everyone. Just watched the American Adventure Link beginning to end for Silicon Valley. America at its best.
Phazor

Post by Phazor »

One more paradox after watching Silicon Valley, I just bought some Germanium Transistors to build a FuzzFace. Funny the things we search for with tube amps and old technology seems to have a lasting search while an iphone 3 is so old.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Good one, Phazor! Programs like this one are a damn good reason to support PBS, IMHO.