P,H & A

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sepulchre

P,H & A

Post by sepulchre »

So, any thoughts on the new Hendrix release? I think it's great but there are some on it that I like a lot more than others.
rdjones

Re: P,H & A

Post by rdjones »

sepulchre wrote:So, any thoughts on the new Hendrix release? I think it's great but there are some on it that I like a lot more than others.
Thanks for the heads up.
I'm going out to look for it now.

rd
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

It's called People, Hell & Angels. I got it on the good ole Amazone.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

I'll definitely check that one out. Last one I got was Valleys Of Neptune and I really dug that a lot. Especially the title track. Hope this one is even more badass.
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

I really like the second cut - "Somewhere". But I haven't heard the whole album yet. (grandkids visiting)
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

sepulchre wrote:I really like the second cut - "Somewhere". But I haven't heard the whole album yet. (grandkids visiting)
And I'll be you wouldn't have been able to listen to Hendrix all those years ago when you were visiting YOUR grandparents. :)
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:
sepulchre wrote:I really like the second cut - "Somewhere". But I haven't heard the whole album yet. (grandkids visiting)
And I'll be you wouldn't have been able to listen to Hendrix all those years ago when you were visiting YOUR grandparents. :)
:lol:

Now he just needs to introduce Hendrix to the grandkids!
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Oh trust me, they know all about lots of guitarists - far more, I think, than they want. But, though they roll their eyes ("not another guitar player!"), I believe that it will serve them in the future.
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Scroll down from here: http://mynorthwest.com/11/2218231/New-J ... ed-Tuesday
for "Somewhere" with Billy Cox & Buddy Miles.
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

I just got the CD in the mail yesterday from a friend and haven't yet made it through all the tracks. I've always been a Hendrix fan so with that in mind I like anything I haven't heard before from him. First impression is that it doesn't sound overprocessed like most other newer music, which is actually refreshing. Vocals are real clear. If I was to guess, the first half sounds like one take, whole band studio recordings. I haven't even read the liner notes yet but my son was telling me it says how this came about. Lots of bluesy rock jamming going on. Some songs seem to end a bit abruptly as if they decided a point to cut it off to prevent 10 minute songs. But all good for the Hendrix enthusiast.
---------
Bryan
Chad

Post by Chad »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT33Cjjq0Mc I just took a listen to it a little bit ago.Sounds pretty fricken' killer IMO. Chad
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Thanks for the utube link. I got to listen to Jimi for free. Ain't that a deal? I've noticed that Miles has not commented on this thread. I don't think he likes Jimi. :P
dreric

Post by dreric »

When I was 15 I lived in an artist warehouse collective. Everyday, I would play "Frampton Comes Alive" sing and play air guitar as loud as I could. After a few months of this one of the artists bangs on my door and says, "you're fucking killing me kid..........here", he gives me Are you Experienced and Axis and walks away. Still a fan after all these years, Hendrix is a huge part of my life's soundtrack.

The new one, despite the hype and debuting at #2 is just studio scratch, Jimi seems relatively sober and in tune. It's just OK.

When he pays with Buddy I miss the alchemy that was Jimi and Mitch Mitchell.

I buy these things because I love Hendrix. It's good as it gives us a glimpse of the man, but these are track that Jimi would have never released, period.
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Agreed. In fact, well ... he didn't. But it's still cool for a die hard fan like myself to hear something from long held archives.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

dreric wrote: When he pays with Buddy I miss the alchemy that was Jimi and Mitch Mitchell.
I completely agree. Mitch was as much a part of the Experience as Hendrix, and I say that as a life long Hendrix fan. No other drummer was right for Hendrix. They were made to play together.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.