Has anyone tried to buy any .22 ammo lately?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

Has anyone tried to buy any .22 ammo lately?

Post by vibratoking »

WTF? I guess that's the ultimate form of gun control. Sorry, we need more conspiracy talk here. No ammo. Talk about un-American. I'm just tryin to take care of some woodpeckers.
Colossal

Re: Has anyone tried to buy any .22 ammo lately?

Post by Colossal »

Just speculating, but I would guess there is a shortage of ammo due to demand, not gun control.

Please don't kill those birds dude :( How about some M80s instead?
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Yeah woodpeckers are beautiful birds. I'm sure there are less expensive ways to solve that problem that don't involve killing animals.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

So the woodpeckers drill holes all over my house. Tried the plastic owl and hanging reflective stuff. No help. They drill on the metal chimney covers and gutters, which sends one of my dogs into destructive insanity. Dog tore down several sets of blinds after the woodpecker set her off. It's a bad situation. I went to the trouble of custom making covers for the metal on my house so they can't turn it into a drum. They just found other places to drill. I don't enjoy killing animals. I quit hunting over 30 years ago for that very reason. BTW, you can get a permit to kill woodpeckers when nothing else works.

There was no .22 ammo, but there are plenty of pellets. My problem is solved for this year. The noobs will come next year, as they always do.
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Get rid of the bugs in the house.
No food, the woodpeckers move on.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Get rid of the bugs in the house.
No food, the woodpeckers move on.
They are mainly drumming to mate this time of year. They are not living in the house.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

I've been rolling my own centerfire ammo for two decades and I try to keep ahead of panic buyers. Years back when I was shooting minor caliber in bowling pin matches I purchased 4 cases of 22LR, in todays climate I could sell one case for more than the price that I purchased all four of them for.

Yes, most rimfire and any other sub calibers are on the backburner as some manfacturers that were running one shift are actually running 3 shifts to fill the demand for popular centerfire handgun and rifle cartridges. Very few if any ammo manufacturer makes all the components ( bullet, cartridge brass, powder, primers) for the cartridge. Also, if CCI( primer maker) is backordered 10 million small pistol primers and major manufacturers are waiting on primers, they can't produce finished ammo.

TM
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Walmart will sell you 3 boxes per day. ;)

We can't shoot centerfire here on Sunday because of a 100 year old ordinance. It's not about noise. It's in the case that the cops need a posse to ride. No sheep dip. They use it as a noise ordinance. My neighbors love the show anyhow. hah

I have a squirrel infestation and those bastards crap ice cream by the gallon. I need a suppressor.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Reeltarded wrote:I need a suppressor.
Tard, I knew I always liked you for a reason....lol

TM
Leo_Gnardo

Animal pests and what to do -

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Yes indeed those woodies love to drum. I live in an 1870 wood house and they've had a go at spots on the trim. One more thing to try short of blasting away is another form of scarecrow - red plastic can lids just swinging in the wind. String a few up from the gutters or trim so they sway in the breeze. In a pinch yellow or green OK but the birds seem to see and avoid the red ones the most. Hopefully the neighbors will complain less about swaying can lids than they might about gunplay.

A couple weeks ago there was a king-size red head slammin' away at the cedar tree in my front yard. Punched some pretty good size holes in the tree and left big shreds on the lawn. After chasing him away a couple times I nailed a bit of wire mesh over the last big hole he was working on. "Woody" came back for one more go at it, didn't like the "chicken wire" and went somewhere else. Might have been insulted at being mistaken for a chicken.

For crows, there's a thing called a "crow coffin." You take a dead one & nail it to a board & hoist it up in a tree or off a building where other crows can see it. Macabre, but it supposedly works. Creeps the crows out. Wonder if such a thing might work for woodpeckers. Don't let the wildlife warden catch you. If you have a badge you can do it. If you're a scuzzy civilian you can't. I LOVE this country (in Russian accent.)

Squirrels, Miles you gotta get rid of 'em. Poop and nesting debris aside, they'll start gnawing on wires and then you're in big trouble. Havahart traps or similar work pretty well. I put a little plastic cup in, like from yogurt or ice cream, wired to the side of the trap and cup lid on, with a hole cut thru the lid so they can smell the handful of peanuts inside. If you don't make the bait a little hard to get to, they'll steal it & won't get themselves trapped. You can take 'em for a long ride & set 'em loose (probably illegal, isn't everything). Squirrels need to drink every couple hours at least (doesn't everybody) and left in the cage, especially in sunlight they will expire on their own. Or you can dunk 'em in a barrel of water to drown' em. Mean I know but having your place catch fire is meaner. It's us vs nature. Whatever you do, don't get bitten. Explaining what happened so you can get rabies treatment may attract exactly the wrong kind of attention again from the wildlife wardens. Then again squirrels may have to worry they'll get rabies from YOU.

My next door neighbors think it's "cute" to have squirrels in the attic. :roll:
There's a hole in the side of their house big enough for me to stick my leg in. Goofy people who think they can "pray" their problems away... well sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. If I could take fire insurance out on THEIR house, I would, because they're bringing it on, the dopes.

Waiting for the 17 year cicadas - August is going to be fun.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

hah

pt pt pt pt..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I got 2000 rounds for my AR in 2006 before all the gun control.

I don't go through much ammo anymore but did stock up on .22 and .410
last summer.

You can buy ammo on line and have it shipped.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Reeltarded wrote:Walmart will sell you 3 boxes per day. ;)

We can't shoot centerfire here on Sunday because of a 100 year old ordinance. It's not about noise. It's in the case that the cops need a posse to ride. No sheep dip. They use it as a noise ordinance. My neighbors love the show anyhow. hah

I have a squirrel infestation and those bastards crap ice cream by the gallon. I need a suppressor.
I'll send my 13 yo down there with his CO2 pellet rifle.It will be a massacar
I won't let him kill anything and not eat it though.

You like squirell gravy and scrambled eggs and brains?
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

I'll send my 13 yo down there with his CO2 pellet rifle.It will be a massacar
I won't let him kill anything and not eat it though.

You like squirell gravy and scrambled eggs and brains?
Problem is, if one of the cute l'il tree rats is wounded indoors then wedges itself somewhere you have a stink that lasts half a year (ask me how I know.)

Menu sounds good, just leave out the tails please. The fur gets stuck between my teeth. Anything goes good with a bottle of Franks hot sauce (or your fav brand) ready to hand.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Woodpeckers are a real nuisance. I live in a relatively large city (inside city limits) where discharging a fire arm to shoot birds will get you arrested. I hear the 'peckers and just pray they won't come to my house.

Squirrels are another matter and much simpler to deal with. They live in small "tribes" of about 12. Territory is exclusive to a tribe. They chase off intruders. Buy a couple of save-a-heart traps. Relocate them a few miles away from your house. In a few days, you'll catch the lot of them. Because they've chased off members of other tribes, you should be squirrel free for quite a while.