How to deal with the angry neighbor

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

How to deal with the angry neighbor

Post by vibratoking »

I live in a small beighborhood with mostly older folks. There is one neighbor that is running an auto repair business from his house. His garage isn't big enough to work on cars so all the work happens in the drive way. Neighbors are upset. We have a home owner's association and covenents that striclty forbid this activity. My neighbors, HOA board members, have been trying to get him to stop, but he just gets loud, drops profane language and tells them to eff off. I don't like seeing my elderly neighbors treated this way. I am now the HOA president and have visited my neighbor to inform him of his transgression and to ask him to stop. He told me to eff off as well...imagine that. We have a nice relationship where he flips me off everytime he sees me. I interpret it as a sign of his a small dick disorder.

Anyone have any experience or creative ideas? I have plenty, but I'll leave the chalkboard blank in order to avoid stearing your creativity.
Cantplay

Re: How to deal with the angry neighbor

Post by Cantplay »

Call his insurance company and inform them of this unsafe activity.

Research whatever licenses such business needs.

Perhaps OSHA would like to see photos?

John
BTF

Post by BTF »

First and most effective, is the area zoned for businesses of this type? That's the first question. If you can obtain proof that he charges for his services, he can be reported to local authorities.

As cantplay said, if he is charging and zoning allows for this type of business, he must have a business license. Perhaps the cost of the license would deter him.

Remind him that his homeowner's insurance company may not take lightly to a dangerous undertaking like auto repair being performed on that property.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Definitely residential zoning and against city ordinance to run a business out of that location. It takes quite a bit of work for the city to prove he is running a business and they are not that motivated.

It's hard to prove whether he is charging for services or not. He says he is not, but 10 to 30 car repairs per week? I also am guessing that he does a lot of bartering. He is an employed mechanic by day and he does repair at his home nights and weekends. I think he skims customers from his day job.

Not that easy to find which insurance company, but I suppose it could be done with enough research.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

I would explore and hopefully find a legal precedent in the HOA docs and throw whatever resources you can marshall at him. Make his miserable existence far more miserable. He chose to deal with his violation of the rules with aggression, probably hoping to intimidate and get the HOA to back down, but it's never excusable or acceptable to treat people like that, and that goes double for the elderly. You might have added precedent right there. Bottom line is he's in violation of the rules he signed and agreed to abide by when moving into the community. It's absolutely black and white.

I so wished we lived in a society where The Boys could pay a visit to adjust his outlook. Hard to pick up your teeth with broken fingers.

I hope you get that MF sorted out VB.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Call the EPA. TEll them he is dumping his waste oil illegally
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Get home owners to agree to pool money from the HOA and take him to court & let him know that you will continue to do so repeatedly . Court costs and stress may not be worth it to him.

The other ideas already presented may be better.

With respect, 10thtx
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

You could always firebomb the mofos house in the middle of the night. :x :shock: :lol:
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
xtian

Post by xtian »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:You could always firebomb
Jazz musicians. Bunch of pacifists.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Easiest route is to have the town do you work for you - look for license/zoning violations. If that doesn't work, check your covenants/by laws, you should be able to warn and then fine him for violations. If he doesn't pay, you may be able to foreclose. You would probably want to consult with an attorney for everything beyond getting the town to enforce their rules.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Wow, the city's attorney around here have no problem sending letters of intent to prosecute for such activities as you have described and what about the attorney for the HOA.
MCK

Post by MCK »

Just call his day job anonymously and tell his boss about his moonlighting activity and how he skims clients from the 'man'... Oh wait, if you get him fired he might start doing the home biz full time... Not a good outcome!
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

mhartman wrote:Easiest route is to have the town do you work for you - look for license/zoning violations. If that doesn't work, check your covenants/by laws, you should be able to warn and then fine him for violations. If he doesn't pay, you may be able to foreclose. You would probably want to consult with an attorney for everything beyond getting the town to enforce their rules.
This path will work. Call your municipality, and find out who to talk to.
Sometimes a visit from a municipal inspector will sober people up.
Your HOA agreement should have some teeth in it for this, but it will cost your HOA attorney's fees. Probably worth it in the long run. Many times, a ceae and desist letter from an attorney will stop people cold.
Good luck-few things are worse than a dickhead neighbor.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Everything offered here so far pales in comparison to the ugliness of this:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Whistleblower-Informant-Award

This is perhaps the most low-down, dirty thing one human being can do to another ..... and potentially get paid for (rather than have to pay for).

Use (if at all, I would never do it to anyone no matter what) with extreme caution.
briane

Post by briane »

yep - call the BBB, and the zoning dept.
Then the EPA and say you say him dumping oil down the drain.

the HOA cant do anything - not without the BOYS. How do you enforce a threatening neighbor? you cant.

I'd play very loud jazz music all night long - but only if he hates jazz.

Us - we have a system out here - If you dont call them on me I wont on you. It requires that everyone communicate and get along. If he cant play by the rules normal neighbors use to get along, then eFFFFFFFF him! 2 can play by those rules.

I might also make a large shit flinging slingshot.

Did I ever tell you about my electronics book that will help you build an EMP? As soon as he fixes the cars, I'd eff them up so bad they'd never run again - I've been looking for some dumbass to test that build on! Come on over buddy!
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds