GearTunes.com

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Doug Doppler

Re: GearTunes.com

Post by Doug Doppler »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:Hi Doug,

Welcome aboard! This is a fun and informative place.

The T40 band I referred to was the Wirly Burleys. IIRC, our Doug had just graduated from GIT. We rehearsed in Los Angeles. Julie on vocals, Greg on drums, and I was playing bass in that band. We took a trip to Big Bear for a gig, not realizing there would be snow. Funny trying to load-in to the bar in sneakers in the snow. All of us, except Doug (you?) came down with the flu while we were there. Doug was bragging about "I never get sick", but he got it pretty bad on the trip home... Fun times.... :-)

Lou
Hey Lou! I remember those days well - great to be back in touch! So the CRAZY thing about that trip to Big Bear was the gas heater in hotel room. The timing was off such that every time the pilot light activated there was already a ton of gas built up and it would cause a small explosion. We lived to tell about it, but that was just totally freaky. Great to see you on here Lou - still big on "Rit"? Cheers ~ Doug:)
Doug Doppler

Re: Hello!

Post by Doug Doppler »

dreric wrote:
Doug Doppler wrote:Hey Dr. Eric, Lefty, and Jazz:)

Thanks again - I'm looking forward to learning some good stuff here - Cheers ~ Doug;)
Welcome aboard my brother!

Be very careful with this crew, next thing you know you'll want to make an amp or two.......or three.
Hey Dr. Eric: Thanks again for the introduction, really appreciated. Per the DI clips and the speaker demos, I'm hoping I can make a contribution here that will prove helpful for the various builders and tonatics. Looking forward to seeing you sooner than later. Come by and check out the Welagen ODS as well as the Orange VT1000 Valve Tester and feel free to bring all your various tubes. It's geeky fun to test tubes for viability and gain. As far as the build thing, that's very thought provoking! Thanks again - Cheers ~ Doug:)
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Doug Doppler wrote:

The T40 band I referred to was the Wirly Burleys. IIRC, our Doug had just graduated from GIT. We rehearsed in Los Angeles. Julie on vocals, Greg on drums, and I was playing bass in that band. We took a trip to Big Bear for a gig, not realizing there would be snow. Funny trying to load-in to the bar in sneakers in the snow. All of us, except Doug (you?) came down with the flu while we were there. Doug was bragging about "I never get sick", but he got it pretty bad on the trip home... Fun times.... :-)

Lou
Hey Lou! I remember those days well - great to be back in touch! So the CRAZY thing about that trip to Big Bear was the gas heater in hotel room. The timing was off such that every time the pilot light activated there was already a ton of gas built up and it would cause a small explosion. We lived to tell about it, but that was just totally freaky. Great to see you on here Lou - still big on "Rit"? Cheers ~ Doug:)
Ah Ha! It IS you! Nice to re-connect and see you here at TAG. Your memory is far better than mine. I don't remember the freak-show furnace - and for as short of time as that incarnation of the band was together, I am amazed that you remember that I was big on Rit! I rarely listen to him any more, though I have a big list of other players I prefer to listen to.

Doug, you were a great player back then. I can only imagine how you're sounding these days. I was so impressed that you had done the GIT thing, and I kind of correlated your playing with GIT - that is until years later: I was working as a recording engineer at a local studio and a band came in. Their guitarist had just finished GIT, and he couldn't play his way out of a paper bag. It was at that point that I realized you were a great player because of you, and not your schooling.

Guitar tracks out of iPhone for amp testing is a great idea - I'll be looking at your website!

Cheers,
Lou
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
dreric

Post by dreric »

Doug Doppler wrote:Short version. That is hands down the warmest reception I've ever had from an online community - thanks for that - wow!!! Lots there that deserves more of a response than I have at the moment - but again thanks for the exceptionally warm welcome:)

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads here - Cheers ~ Doug:)
Again, glad you are here. You'll find this community to be just that, a supportive, caring and generally kind community obsessed with tube amps. The only thing that seems to get everyone upset it when some newbee tries some of the BS that plagues other sites.
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
dreric

Post by dreric »

Doug Doppler wrote:
dreric wrote:
Doug Doppler wrote:Hey Dr. Eric, Lefty, and Jazz:)

Thanks again - I'm looking forward to learning some good stuff here - Cheers ~ Doug;)
Welcome aboard my brother!

Be very careful with this crew, next thing you know you'll want to make an amp or two.......or three.
Hey Dr. Eric: Thanks again for the introduction, really appreciated. Per the DI clips and the speaker demos, I'm hoping I can make a contribution here that will prove helpful for the various builders and tonatics. Looking forward to seeing you sooner than later. Come by and check out the Welagen ODS as well as the Orange VT1000 Valve Tester and feel free to bring all your various tubes. It's geeky fun to test tubes for viability and gain. As far as the build thing, that's very thought provoking! Thanks again - Cheers ~ Doug:)
I'd love to check out the Welagen! and the tube tester sounds cool (I have A LOT of tubes that could use some analysis) I'm in the process of completely, tweaking and generally trying to get 4 Dumble builds working to my satisfaction, when I get a few I'd love to have you check them out and get your feedback.
Eric
Doug Doppler

Post by Doug Doppler »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:
Doug Doppler wrote:

Lou
Ah Ha! It IS you! Nice to re-connect and see you here at TAG. Your memory is far better than mine. I don't remember the freak-show furnace - and for as short of time as that incarnation of the band was together, I am amazed that you remember that I was big on Rit! I rarely listen to him any more, though I have a big list of other players I prefer to listen to.

Doug, you were a great player back then. I can only imagine how you're sounding these days. I was so impressed that you had done the GIT thing, and I kind of correlated your playing with GIT - that is until years later: I was working as a recording engineer at a local studio and a band came in. Their guitarist had just finished GIT, and he couldn't play his way out of a paper bag. It was at that point that I realized you were a great player because of you, and not your schooling.

Guitar tracks out of iPhone for amp testing is a great idea - I'll be looking at your website!

Cheers,
Lou
Hey Lou! Ditto on the being back in touch:) GIT was really what you made of it, I suppose like any school. I spent a good 12-16 hours a day practicing and playing for a year non-stop, so I'll just attribute what you kindly appreciated to good old fashioned hard work, but thank you for the kind words - they are always appreciated...

Per the DI clips, as I mentioned before, I'll be rolling a bunch of them out in the next week or so and will post some here for easy navigation, and will circle back with some links when that happens:)

Again Lou, great to be back in touch. As silly as it sounds, one of the things that most amazes me about the web is how it brings people together in community. Kind of amazing:)

Warmest regards,

Doug
Doug Doppler

Post by Doug Doppler »

dreric wrote:
Doug Doppler wrote:
dreric wrote: Welcome aboard my brother!

I'd love to check out the Welagen! and the tube tester sounds cool (I have A LOT of tubes that could use some analysis) I'm in the process of completely, tweaking and generally trying to get 4 Dumble builds working to my satisfaction, when I get a few I'd love to have you check them out and get your feedback.
Hey Dr. Eric:

Always an open invitation. Excited to hear your builds - you must be having fun! And yes, by all means come hear Jelle's amp and bring your tubes. The only ones the VT1000 doesn't test are rectifier tubes, but I've been thrilled to be able to finally pull tubes out of a drawer and get a chance to rate them myself. For builders it not only allows you to double check the gain rating from tube vendors (whole different conversation), but it also allows you to rate the gain and early/late distortion for pre-amp and power amp tubes respectively without having to buy a giant tube tester or deal with one of those giant books it takes to operate some of them that would be totally greek to a novice like me. Short version is that by rating your own tubes with great precision, it really opens the door to being able to use tubes in the same way players use pedals. Incredibly exciting stuff for tone chases. Come by, it's been way too long since we had a chance to talk over a long meal - your birthday may have been the last time my friend - like I said, WAY too long:)

Yours,

Doug
Doug Doppler

Dr. Eric's Gear

Post by Doug Doppler »

Hello all. As promised, here is Dr. Eric's lovely Vibrolux Reverb - WHAT an amp. The addition of his Allen Tube Reverb didn't hurt either!

1984 Fender ST62-TX Strat > Allen Tube Reverb > c. 1964 Fender Vibrolux Reverb
Clip: http://tinyurl.com/qzwp8bo
GearTunes Page: http://geartunes.com/gear/amps/vibrolux-reverb/

Cheers ~ Doug;)

[img:660:660]http://geartunes.s3.amazonaws.com/gear/ ... 90x660.jpg[/img]
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Great sounding clip, Doug - especially the reverb. Is all the reverb coming from the Allen? Does the Allen use a spring tank?

Thought maybe I could answer my own question, but I don't see mention of the Tube Reverb on the Allen Amps site...
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Hey Doug,

Great to see you here. I remember visiting your place with Jelle say back when. Had lots of fun hanging out with you and Henry. I need to schedule another visit sometime soon.

Kind regards,
Darin
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Doug Doppler

Post by Doug Doppler »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:Great sounding clip, Doug - especially the reverb. Is all the reverb coming from the Allen? Does the Allen use a spring tank?

Thought maybe I could answer my own question, but I don't see mention of the Tube Reverb on the Allen Amps site...
Hey Lou - sorry for the delay in getting back! Dr. Eric is the only person who I know of who has one of these units. In speaking with Mr. Allen what is now two or so years ago he stopped making these for supply chain reasons that are not my business to share other than to say he wanted to ensure the units sounded every bit as good as what your ears heard Lou. And yes this thing sounds AMAZNG, and yes that is the only reverb used on the clip! Thanks for the kind words btw - Cheers ~ Doug;)
dreric

Post by dreric »

Doug Doppler wrote:
JazzGuitarGimp wrote:Great sounding clip, Doug - especially the reverb. Is all the reverb coming from the Allen? Does the Allen use a spring tank?

Hey Lou - sorry for the delay in getting back! Dr. Eric is the only person who I know of who has one of these units. In speaking with Mr. Allen what is now two or so years ago he stopped making these for supply chain reasons that are not my business to share other than to say he wanted to ensure the units sounded every bit as good as what your ears heard Lou. And yes this thing sounds AMAZNG, and yes that is the only reverb used on the clip! Thanks for the kind words btw - Cheers ~ Doug;)
The Allen Reverb is a direct Fender clone. I think Allen stooped making them because the 6K6 was out of production, but I'm not sure. When I loaned the Vibrolux to Doug the Reveb went out, I hate that. So as he says the Allen is the only Reverb. It's a great sounding combo but, Doug can make anything sound great. Seriously, in my first lesson Doug was playing a Roland Jazz Chorus (with a loose chassis and broken cabinet), Digital delay and a Marshall Gov'ner........... he sounded like THOR!
Eric
Doug Doppler

Post by Doug Doppler »

dartanion wrote:Hey Doug,

Great to see you here. I remember visiting your place with Jelle say back when. Had lots of fun hanging out with you and Henry. I need to schedule another visit sometime soon.

Kind regards,
Darin
Hey Darin!!! So sorry about the delay in getting back - really swamped at the moment. Your cabs are hear and could honestly use some proper demoing with a head or two of yours. Look forward to seeing you sooner than later. Had a great time hanging! Trust all is well - Cheers ~ Doug:)
Doug Doppler

Post by Doug Doppler »

dreric wrote:
Doug Doppler wrote:

The Allen Reverb is a direct Fender clone. I think Allen stooped making them because the 6K6 was out of production, but I'm not sure. When I loaned the Vibrolux to Doug the Reveb went out, I hate that. So as he says the Allen is the only Reverb. It's a great sounding combo but, Doug can make anything sound great. Seriously, in my first lesson Doug was playing a Roland Jazz Chorus (with a loose chassis and broken cabinet), Digital delay and a Marshall Gov'ner........... he sounded like THOR!
Hey Dr. Eric - as always thanks for the kind words - appreciate and you know that! Per the Allen, to my ear it is EVERYTHING you want in a Blackface reverb, but with all the stand alone bells and whistles. Truly a thing of special beauty. Thanks again Dr. Eric, your contributions have been GREATLY appreciated - Cheers ~ Doug:)
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Thanks for the info on the reverb unit, guys. I have to concur, Doug - it's definitely a thing of special beauty! So this is what the three-knob stand-alone Fender units sound like, eh? Nice!

Lou
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture