I Hate It When...

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blackburn

I Hate It When...

Post by Blackburn »

...Stuff gets pulled from Fleabay early because the starting bid was only $.99 and had just one hit with 24 hours to go. That's a great idea, start at less than a dollar and I'm sure people will bid this shit up like nobody's business... Yeah... :roll:

I was planning on going as crazy as five dollars, but nooooo, someone decided to kill that plan of mine. We'll see if it relists, hopefully at five dollars, then maybe I can go through with insanity like ten dollars and scare off all the high rollers.

:evil:

David
NickC

Re: I Hate It When...

Post by NickC »

Oh yeah.

And another irritating thing about eBay is when someone outbids you by a dollar in the final milliseconds of a bidding war. Some users have special software for that. Very irritating for those of us that bid honestly (sans "special software"). :x
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

The whole trick to ebay these days is fidning stuff. Ever since it became a billion node kiosk outlet for shitty indian reproductions of terrible chinese copies of korean manufactured fakes.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

NickC wrote:Oh yeah.

And another irritating thing about eBay is when someone outbids you by a dollar in the final milliseconds of a bidding war. Some users have special software for that. Very irritating for those of us that bid honestly (sans "special software"). :x
I never bid on an ebay auction any earlier than 10 seconds before close of auction. I don't use any special software, I do it manually. My reasoning is this: Making my bid three days before the close of auction could possibly push the price up artificially because there are some folks who will go in and "test the waters" by making small bid increments, trying to figure out just where the high bidder has his bid at. I decide what I am willing to pay for an item, then I wait until the last ten seconds of the auction. If the price goes above what I am willing to pay, I don't bid. Otherwise, I put my bid in at about 6 seconds and hope for the best.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
xtian

Post by xtian »

Two things. First, I though it was against eBay policy to close an auction prematurely when anyone had placed a bid (unless a "reserve" is set).

Second, the argument against software "sniping" is so 2000s. The war is over, it's a robot's world, and you should use sniping software. It's free (I use jBid). You set a max bid, and it does the last-second bidding.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

xtian wrote:Two things. First, I though it was against eBay policy to close an auction prematurely when anyone had placed a bid (unless a "reserve" is set).
I was under the same impression regarding when you can end an auction. There was no "Reserve Not Met" indicator on the page and I don't know if those things make themselves apparent at all times or just at the closing moments of an auction. I'm waiting to see if it comes back up. :idea:
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

What has hurt my ability to search for items on eBay is "Search using the wildcard symbol (*) is no longer supported."
Owing to many eBay seller's spelling skills it's can be difficult finding items where there is a misspelling in the item description.

Regarding timing of bid placement, I make at least some minimal bid to get an item on my 'radar', then come back and watch the item in the closing minutes and make my final bid within the last minute.
I don't think I trust my connections enough to wait until 6 seconds to go (have been bitten).

Now, could someone wake me just before those British GZ34s are about to end ? :wink:
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Sniping software is the ONLY sensible way to bid for items on Ebay. I can't tell you how much money it has saved me and how many items I have been able to purchase because of it.

If you're not sniping, you're being foolish.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

vibratoking wrote:Sniping software is the ONLY sensible way to bid for items on Ebay. I can't tell you how much money it has saved me and how many items I have been able to purchase because of it.

If you're not sniping, you're being foolish.
Ditto. Been using it for years. I put in my top price and either make it or not. I've been beaten by snipers using other services although very seldom. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. That's life.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.