High E string sounds like a sitar

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

High E string sounds like a sitar

Post by vibratoking »

Anyone have any insight or tricks up their sleeve beyond a new nut? When fretting at the third position, there is zero clearance between the string and the first fret. This is a Les Paul BTW.
randalp3000

Re: High E string sounds like a sitar

Post by randalp3000 »

Is it the white, opaque, powdery looking nut they used for a long time? If so I would get rid of it because they wear very fast and are kind of sticky. The new hard nylon ones are the shits if you can get one. Graphtech makes a tusc one that fits nicely now also.

I don't care for it but the baking soda and super glue fill might help with a re cut. If you go this route make sure you widen the slot and clean it out really well so the glue will stick. Another option is to remove, shim and re cut. Not much fun because they are lacquered in. I like to use clear, self stick acoustic pickguard material for shims. I do this alot because it's easy and almost invisible.

Also check the relief in your neck, a slight over bow can be just enough to screw things up.

good luck
rp
Last edited by randalp3000 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xtian

Post by xtian »

You can find tutorials for building up the nut slot with super glue (CA) and baking soda.

If that's the problem. Your string height/neck relief is already correct? Frets level?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

It's a 2003 R8 Historic. Neck seems to have the correct relief. Frets have some wear, but are in pretty good shape. I play all over the neck, so the wear is fairly even. Not like some guitars where the frets are trashed in certain keys. The nut looks like white plastic, but it doesn't look powdery.
randalp3000

Post by randalp3000 »

vibratoking wrote:It's a 2003 R8 Historic. Neck seems to have the correct relief. Frets have some wear, but are in pretty good shape. I play all over the neck, so the wear is fairly even. Not like some guitars where the frets are trashed in certain keys. The nut looks like white plastic, but it doesn't look powdery.
My '03 R9 has the same nut, that's the bad one. they are finally using nylon again like in the good ol days.

try filling it first for the easy fix.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

vibratoking wrote:It's a 2003 R8 Historic. Neck seems to have the correct relief. Frets have some wear, but are in pretty good shape...
Isn't that worth putting on a good nut?

Tusq is one good, ready-to-go, option.

Get the frets dressed while you're at it.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Stop playing Buffalo Gals. Buuuuf a (G7) lo gals won't ya come o(C7)ut..

Back off the truss rod one-millionth of one turn, then go half way back. It's the frets but you need to do this if you never have even if the neck looks nice and straight. The wood shrinks a teeny amount and taking that up keeps the resonance from lighting that up when it buzzes.

My Max was doing the same thing high E only from the 13th fret up because ther was a nearly undetectable rise in the last three frets.

Call me because it's confusing. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Yeah what he said ^^^ nylon.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
randalp3000

Post by randalp3000 »

A really good source for old nylon is Harmony guitars and such from the 60's, but don't tell anyone. :twisted:

or this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul ... 0119164992 :shock:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Petsmart Go look at the dog bones. lol
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Reeltarded wrote:Petsmart Go look at the dog bones. lol
Get some freshly knackered race horse shin bone - it's the most dense.

It's OK to ask how I know... :shock:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Ok... how do you know this? :)
Roe

Post by Roe »

sitar effect is generally caused by bridge (or nut). try to change the angle at the bridge and try to file a little
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Roe wrote:sitar effect is generally caused by bridge (or nut). try to change the angle at the bridge and try to file a little
Nah, get one of these.

[img:440:330]http://www.stewmac.com/product/images/3 ... on_Nut.jpg[/img]