Tele pickups?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

HeeBGB
Site Admin

Tele pickups?

Post by HeeBGB »

So what are you tele players running for pup's? I am seriously considering Don Mare's. I want something traditional

So what are you guys playing?
TUBEDUDE

Re: Tele pickups?

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Used Harmonic Design for 12 years. Favorite of Redd Volkert. Now using p/u's from the Creamery in England.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Duncan Lil 59 in the bridge.
Not traditional (or expensive) but works for my humble ears.
Why Aye Man
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Fender AVRI pickups for me. The 62's are very nice and quite traditional sounding in my double bound MJT. The 52 bridge pickup in my MJT Esquire is a little fatter and has more balls for blues. Great pickups for very little money.
ampmike

Tele

Post by ampmike »

I got a fender CS relic.Unbelievale sounding.The 3 way switch is really just two usables,unless your base player slept in and you wanted some base notes.Got it on ebay brand new awhile back.But whatever fender put in that guitar it sounds awesome!!
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I've been using Harmonic Design for years. I have all of their versions and they are all good.
I've never tried a Lindy Fralin, but they have a great reputation for teles.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I'm playing my own... I wind them here.
We sent our pups to Nashville NAMM in Harper Guitars and they drew a crowd. People came back wanting to demo the guitars with our pups, asking for them specifically.
Before the show, Jacob (Harper) said that out Strat and LP sets were killer, don't change them but that I should consider winding the Tele pups a little hotter. After the show he said that he was wrong about the Tele pups... There were some of the players that were trying to order sets from him and that a few of the session players were clamoring over the Tele pups... They had the sound they've been looking for. He pulled in over fifty guitar orders at the show. He also said that he could have sold a couple hundred sets of pups but he was only interested in selling guitars. He was approached by Corner Music to sell pups but wouldn't separate them from the guitars... :(
Sorry for the shameless plug and derail but I feel the need to be heard by my peers. Besides... If Vince Gill plays a custom made guitar with my pups in it, I think others should know!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
didit

Post by didit »

I've got a fine Rutters' tele. Highly recommended builder. Does pretty much everything handbuilt except the electronics & tuners. Past years his guitars along with several others were featured in the TDPRI annual fund raising, all with videos of Redd Volkaert playing. Suggest going back through those videos and listening -- here's one from 2012, the year mine was built https://youtu.be/-f4ffUOpb94. Listen too to other TDPRI videos. Some fine comparisons available with Redd and same gear setup constant.

In 2012 Mark generally was using Peter Florance "VooDoo" PUs. I notice he's listing Ron Ellis for his more recent builds. I had him build mine using J.S. Moore (http://tonefordays.com). I'd enjoy dealing with Jon previously and was able to get quite specific on tonal specifications with him. A friend had Mark build a tele about the same time -- near twin to mine, with the substantive difference being "stock" Florence PUs. After playing, Mark agreed the Jon's PUs were just as special as his Florance. I personally find Jon's neck PU particularly special. It pulls a woody tone from the guitar that I've not found except on one original late '50s Fender.

Prior to ordering from Rutters we'd played about every tele we could find. Most of the high end custom stuff including Fender sounded great. Sometime different in detail, but nevertheless fine -- memory serves these were Mare, Lollar, Fralin & Novak amongst others. There were also some murky ugly sounds too. I'll refrain from naming except for Fender's stuff they put on their low end. Bit of rambling to get to a point. If you want specifics tone-wise find someone willing to work with you (e.g. Jon or dorrisant here on TAG) or listen/play a bunch and then buy what works. If you're just after a generally fine classic tele tone you'll get there with any of the above.

Best .. Ian
Last edited by didit on Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Hey, Tony, that's awesome!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Impressive dorrisant!!! Any sound clips available. As you know, we're always on the hunt for better sounds.
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

I have Fralin Blues Specials +5% overwinds in one of my Teles and they sound huge. They are great live performance pickups-they really speak.
I have just gotten an OC Duff set, Plankster bridge and Big Boy neck, for another one of my Teles, and they are very nice. Somewhere between a 50s and 60s sound-kind of beefy 60s.
Haven't gigged them yet, but I like them so far.
If you want humbucking, WIlde Lawrence L48TL in bridge, and L45S in neck is a great combo, and value priced.
I'm not a rock player, btw, more edgy honky tonk, roots style.
Good luck.
tony hunt

Post by tony hunt »

For traditional, Don Mare has a lot of choice!
I have two ordered to try out.

Happy using the Bill Lawrence Wilde PUs, just about all versions because of their response to dynamics. When I cannot wait, I order a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster.
David Root

Post by David Root »

My parts Tele has '60 Voodoos in it. First heard these pickups on a friend's Haar Tele from Holland and really liked them. Despite being in a European instrument, Voodoos are made in PA.
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

My Foto-Flame Tele has Texas Specials in it. When I bought it it had the stock 3-pickup setup but didn't sound all that great. These woke it up big-time and it sounds exceptional now.
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

How about Fender Esquire's My favorite we don't need two pickups.
That said on my Part's-O-Casters JM Rolph #1 and SD Custom Shop #2
1956 Gibson P90'S #3 On the pre CBS stock.