Twin PA Valve Junior with Power Scaling

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mooreamps

Twin PA Valve Junior with Power Scaling

Post by mooreamps »

Twin PA mod on VJ with dual PA master volume dial controls and electronic power scaling.

Now, if you're looking at the front panel, I'll go over this.
The switch on the far left is Operate/Stand-by. In stand-by, the yellow LED glows.
This is the BITE lamp for the filament power supply. If the main POWER switch is on,
and if this lamp does not glow, check the fuse on the Orange wires from the main power
transformer.

When the switch is in Operate, this provides High Voltage to the power tubes. The
red lamp is the BITE lamp for High Voltage. If the red lamp does not glow, check the
fuse on the Red wires from the main power supply.

Above the volume knobs are the BITE lamps for the pre-amp tube and both power tubes.
The pre-amp lamp will begin to glow after the pre-amp tube warms up ; 12 seconds. The
other power tube lamps will glow only when the power tubes warm up and the Power
Brake is turned up. The lables on the BITE lamps match the lables next to the tubes.
If one BITE lamp fails to glow, replace that tube.

Volume. Pre-amp gain. Unchanged.
Master Body control. This is the master volume for the 6V6 power tube.
Master Sparkle control. This is the master volume for the EL-84 power tube.

Electronic Power Brake. This control , controls PA plate current for both power tubes.
Set this control at 25% for over-drive tones.
Set this control to 75% for clean tones.
Set this control to 100% for sag and compression effects.

-g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UR12

Re: Twin PA Valve Junior with Power Scaling

Post by UR12 »

The Garage Talk area is for discussing non technical or non amp related stuff.
Last edited by UR12 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
benoit

Post by benoit »

Vaporized
Last edited by benoit on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

The signal is re-mixed through PA plate balancing resistors. If they were the same tube type, it's not much of an issue.
-g
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

UR12 wrote:The Garage Talk area is for discussing non technical or amp related stuff.

"Happy now" ??
-g
UR12

Post by UR12 »

mooreamps wrote:
UR12 wrote:The Garage Talk area is for discussing non technical or amp related stuff.

"Happy now" ??
-g
Well since you ask.........I would be happier if we didn't get valve junior crap started on this forum. There are other forums that have been created just for that. Are you here because you got banned there too? It almost put 18watt out of business and I really don't want to see that happen here. You might take time to read what each of the areas on this forum are for and post in the appropriate one instead of posting stuff anywhere you want. It's just good manners and common courtesy.
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

Well, there are other people here asking questions about how to do a twin PA set-up.
-g
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Personally, I couldn't care less if I never see another valve junior as long as I live. Why bother putting all that money and effort into it? Just build from scratch at that point. You can't polish a turd ya know! But hey YOU do a nice job of it. :mrgreen:
benoit

Post by benoit »

What VJ related stuff what almost downed 18watt? I never was real clear on what happened with them.

Gary, do you have any clips of that amp, I'm curious as to how that blend sounds.

I'm a little intrigued by the indicator lights to tell you if a tube goes bad, but in a valve jr, why bother? I'm not having a go at you, but honestly want to know.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

benoit wrote:What VJ related stuff what almost downed 18watt? I never was real clear on what happened with them.
Just my own opinion but there was a HUGH VJ thread that consumed most of the database on the server and their bandwith. It was mainly newbies that found they could buy a $99 amp and mod the hell out of it. Again IMO, it's like HeebGb said, you can mod the thing to death and you still got a turd. A lot of the old 18watt guys started leaving the site because they got tired of putting up with the newbies attitudes and they finally decided to close the site down because there was no 18watt content left. It was decided to spin the HUGH VJ thread off to the SEWATT.com site to give them a home of their own and reopen 18watt.com for only 18watt amp talk.

Now it appears Mooreamps could care less about TW or Dumbles but decides to bring the VJ crap over here instead of keeping it where it belongs at SEWATT. He feels the need to "Teach" us lower life forms (with his superior intellect, condescending and arrogant ways) he's a rocket scientist ya know, how to really build a tube amp. It doesn't matter that some of us have been building them for the last 30+ years, we have been getting it wrong all of those years and Gary needs to show us how it's done with his modified VJ with all of his blinkin LEDs. :roll: Unfortunately he won't share any of his ideas because of some paranoia that someone is going to steal his secrets and make a bunch of money off of his "Better circuits" So he posts all of these great things he has done but won't tell anyone how he does it. So in the end there is really nothing to learn from him as he really doesn't want to share anything. Must be an ego thing.
benoit

Post by benoit »

Vaporized
Last edited by benoit on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

benoit wrote:What VJ related stuff what almost downed 18watt? I never was real clear on what happened with them.

Gary, do you have any clips of that amp, I'm curious as to how that blend sounds.

I'm a little intrigued by the indicator lights to tell you if a tube goes bad, but in a valve jr, why bother? I'm not having a go at you, but honestly want to know.
This amp was sent to me for pre-amp upgrades, the second power amp tube, and install power brake. So, BITE lamps go into everything I build, VJ or otherwise. Secondly, it's a very portable little amp. For home practice, or for professional recording it's hard to beat.

don't have sound clips as yet. Perhaps I'll put something up on Youtube.

-g
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

I've sent stuff to folks via e-mail, not on a public forum. If you want something, just ask. Some things I have not published on the public forums because they are new circuits, like my power brake for example. If Dana were to talk to me, nicely, she'd find out I'd be more forth coming.

-g
benoit

Post by benoit »

Vaporized
Last edited by benoit on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

UR12 wrote:

Must be an ego thing.

Maybe it's a Dumble thing. He didn't share his work either.... 8)

-g