5x3 6L6 deluxe

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ampmike

6l6

Post by ampmike »

Well so far Im playing through 2x12 cabs and not the mesa cab.Actually I cant really play the rhythm pickup on the Les paul or strat.Its just a bit too dark and heavey but this amp has balls.Its loud and in your face.It just needs that little brightness added,Thanks
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
M Fowler

Re: 5x3 6L6 deluxe

Post by M Fowler »

Hmm my ears must be bad because I played my Les Paul through the amp into a 1-12 Lady Luck speaker and 212 with Celestion Alnico gold/blue. :)

You already have a 500pf cap and .047 tone cap. That .047 could be changed to different value. Also, the .1 coupling caps could be changed.

Mark
ampmike

today

Post by ampmike »

You know it just might be me,Let me try it in the marshall cab today,Nobody will be home :wink:Ill put it through playing,Its a cool amp!
Mikey
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

No Mikey it could easily be too dark. My Les Paul wiring has been changed :) and the speakers I noted are bright.

Mark
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

My guess is the amp's tone is true to 5E3/Tweed Deluxe. What he describes is pretty much a textbook description of the amp's nature. The only caveat is it should be damn near perfect with a stock-ish neck PU of Strat.

I'm also guessing 5E3 is ultimately not to Mike's taste. Too bright or just right is a matter of personal taste. You wouldn't be the first, the web is littered with used Tweeds for sale because people really didn't known what to except from them. Some even think they are getting the signature "Fender Tone" of the Blackface/Silverface amps in cooler clothing.

The 5E3 is big and woofy. Those huge coupling caps let every bit of the low end come through, which is why people have so many issues trying to pair them with humbuckers. They complement the tone of Starts and Tele, but compound the boom-y-ness of many other pickups.

But that's also why there are so many different mods around...smaller coupling caps, smaller cathode bypass caps, Vol/Tone mod (isolating the channels), tone cap mods, etc. They all have a noticeable effect. The question is, how much can you change in a 5E3 before it's no longer a 5E3? I love a great Tweed Deluxe, owned an original for a long time, and my clone is stock....but if it's not someone's cup o' tea, then there is no reason to keep it what it is.
ampexplorer

Post by ampexplorer »

I built a 5e3 with the smaller coupling caps since I red about the amp being woofy with humbuckers. I am very happy with mine and I also use a treble booster on the normal channel to color the sound and get the sustain and gain I want. This is a great amp as a platform for dirty rhythm and lead playing.
ampmike

I got a great amp

Post by ampmike »

Guys ,I'm blown away by this amp,Mark Fowler rebuilt this amp and after getting to really open this up I'm so happy.The amp beats my Diaz by miles.The sustain is amazing because its clean headroom kinda burn,I love it!Im keeping this for sure,I got what I was out to get ,Les Paul,Strat really nice.When I first tried it I had not really opened it up.Very cool amp,I'm going to get a clip or two for sure,thanks guys,and thanks Mark you built a killer amp,Mikey :D
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Glad your enjoying your amp Mikey, that's all that matters. :)

I didn't do a very good job wiring the amp but it won't fall apart.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Looks great to me! :)

I've been wanting to do another 5E3 with some NOS stuff and an old AlNiCo, completely stock.
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Yea,My 5e3 6V6 is a baby Bro to this guy,How many Watts do you think this amp is Mark.Its a blues amp for sure,a very nice amp for blues rock.I bet a treble booster would take off on this amp.Im putting in a head cab and Ill make a nice 2x12 for it.Definitely more power than a typical 6v6 5e3.Im having a blast getting to know this amp!Mikey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

hahaha! THAT is awesome!! Good job Mikey and good job Marky!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Mikey wrote:
How many Watts do you think this amp is Mark
Mikey, I would say the amp is around 40-45 watts.

Mark
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

M Fowler wrote:Mikey wrote:
How many Watts do you think this amp is Mark
Mikey, I would say the amp is around 40-45 watts.

Mark
I pair of cathode-biased 6L6GC's?

I would guess closer to 25-30 watts RMS. What are the voltages?
ampmike

Yo

Post by ampmike »

Hey Wyatt,I'll check some voltages tomorrow,I'm moving along on the Allen Brown Suger,its going nice,the amp is a really fun amp Mark built.Thanks Mikey
cbass

Post by cbass »

Nice cab I like the raised panel look