My 5F6A head build

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeonC

Re: My 5F6A head build

Post by LeonC »

Did another clip; this time, have the amp biased better (it was rather cold in that first clip..my bad) and I switch back and forth between fixed and cathode bias.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdeBD78nU1Y
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Both the cathode biased and the fixed biased sound great to me. The cathode biased sounds somewhat smoother to me and the fixed biased seemed a little more focused in articulating the notes.

Really liked the amp tone & enjoyed the jazzy/blues stuff you played at the start of the video. Nice!

With respect, 10thtx
LeonC

Post by LeonC »

Thanks man. Yeah, they're both good and useful. The biggest difference seems to be in the attack of each note/chord. In fixed bias, the attack is faster, "harder" and more precise. In cathode bias, it's not as hard/stiff (boy these are some funny, double-entendre kinda adjectives I'm coming up with, LOL, but they work). I think I prefer cathode bias a bit more for bluesy kind of stuff and fixed bias more for rock type tones/playing. But it's nice having the choice.

I will also say that the amp is definitely louder in fixed bias mode. This is a double edged sword...
billyz

Post by billyz »

Midnight blue is one of my favorites .
If I may ask, what values did you use for cathode bias? 250 ohm 10w? 25uf ?
LeonC

Post by LeonC »

billyz wrote:Midnight blue is one of my favorites .
Yeah, that whole LP is priceless!! What a classic! As a son of Detroit and a WSU alumnus, I got a lotta love for Kenny Burrell.