5E3 Input Jacks...

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

don280z

5E3 Input Jacks...

Post by don280z »

Hi....
I am building a 5E3, which, as you know, has 4 input jacks -- 2 for each channel.
I only want to install 1 jack for each channel.
Can I simply eliminate 1 jack on each channel?
ToneMerc

Re: 5E3 Input Jacks...

Post by ToneMerc »

rdjones

Post by rdjones »

don280z wrote:Hi....
I am building a 5E3, which, as you know, has 4 input jacks -- 2 for each channel.
I only want to install 1 jack for each channel.
Can I simply eliminate 1 jack on each channel?
Yes, as long as you retain the grid ground reference (1 Meg) and the grid stopper (68K, or ~34K) the input stage will behave the same.

rd
don280z

Post by don280z »

Oh, thats what the goofy wiring is all about....

So, this thing has 2 inputs--1 Bright, 1 Normal. Of each of these there is also a 'hot' and 'normal' which yields 4 input jacks.

I could install a toggle switch that would select the Channel 1 (or 2) jack to one 68K, or both (parallel which would yield 33K) resistors....or, does everybody just use the 'hot' jack all the time?....

Another question...Have you, or anyone, bridged the channels together with a guitar cable (like they used to do with the old Marshall Amps)?
don280z

Post by don280z »

I just received this post from a guy over at AX84 website.......

I've been working on a version of the 5E3 for some time now, and considered all kinds of mods to the circuit before returning to practically a stock configuration.
:
: The four inputs will let you do unique things that you will lose the ability to do if you omit them. Things like bridging channels, and bridging channels with an effect inserted in the bridge, and that's neat and useful stuff for a little amp without an effects loop.
--

"...and bridging channels with an effect inserted in the bridge..."

That is a really cool idea...I never thought of that.....
I am thinking I may install all 4 jacks.....
boots

Post by boots »

I builti my 5E3 clone with one jack for one channel, and 2 for the other. That way, I can still bridge the channels.

In retrospect, I wish I would have just used 4 jacks like the original.
don280z

Post by don280z »

Amp is done. I built it in an old Blues Jr Cabinet (approx same size as original 5E3 cabinet).
I ended up with 2 Input Jacks -- both connected 'Hot'. I may install a small toggle switch to bridge them together. Will work on that later.

I also am using 12AX7's in both spots.

I am totally amazed at what this little amp sounds like!
I turned it on, plugged in my LP Custom and - WOW - instant "ZZ Top"...
Humbuckers are very hot through this amp. My G&L Strat was a little tamer.

The gain does come up VERY fast so I will have to be careful with adjusting the volume 'on the fly'.

What is the wattage supposed to be? Since it is using 6V6's I am guessing 20+ watts?

I think I am gong to have a lot of fun with this little package.....
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

The 5E3 was a revelation for me. Too bad I played for 30+yrs before I finally built and played through one. Great amp. Enjoy. The volumes are very interactive and generate alot of tones. Now you need a whizzer.
boots

Post by boots »

Congrats! I love mine. It sounds great clean, and great when cranked all the way.

It definitely gets dirty early - the notorious "lack of headroom". But that's what a 5E3 is all about.

I have settled on using a 5751 for the first preamp. The 12AY7 seems a little sterile to my ears, and an AX7 only aggravates the early breakup. The 5751 seems like the ideal tube for this amp.

I'm guessing the pair of 6V6's puts out closer to 15 watts. There is lots of interaction between the two volume controls - I still haven't found a favorite configuration. But so far, it seems best to NOT leave one channel turned all the way down - crack it at least a little. And having both channels cranked all the way up seems to make the amp sound muddy.

My amp is very touch sensitive - therefore, I like to use to volume knob on the guitar to control how much dirt I get out of the amp.
don280z

Post by don280z »

Boots.......Have you tried a 12AT7?
boots

Post by boots »

I have tried 12AT7's as preamps before, and I don't really like the sound. Also, they have noticeably less gain than the AX/AY/5751. The AT7 makes sound, but not very good sound. It would work in an emergency.

I haven't tried one in my 5E3 clone - I will try one tonight and report on how it works out.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

My $0.02. I have tried AX/AY/5751. I happen to like the AY the best. I like overdrive to occur as late as possible with the 5E3 - even thought it is never very late. Not sterile at all if you roll the right tube in there. I also found that the 5E3 needs a good OLD 5Y3 to sound it's best.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I seem to remember there was a 5E3 forum around where all sorts of mods were discussed. I thought Bruce from Mission amps had a lot to do with it.

http://www.missionamps.com/kits.shtml

The link gives you an idea of the sort of stuff the forum were doing.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
boots

Post by boots »

Vibe, I only have one AY - they are rare. It is a GE. All the other GE tubes I have are not really my favorites either. Maybe it's just a mental block. They AY I have is not a bad sounding tube, but it just doesn't have that magical sparkle that other tubes do. I'm sure it's a matter of finding the right special one.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

So where are the pictures of the completed amp?