Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Firestorm

Re: Fender reissues the '68 Silverface Twin

Post by Firestorm »

I wonder if it comes pre-blackfaced.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

At $1,800 direct from Fender, could they be doing this without pc boards?
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:At $1,800 direct from Fender, could they be doing this without pc boards?
I can't see how. They have $1399 list on hand-wired Champs. This one has a much more expensive parts list.
Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

at $1800 I wonder who would buy one when you can get a real hand wired vintage one for half the money?
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Milkmansound wrote:at $1800 I wonder who would buy one when you can get a real hand wired vintage one for half the money?
Good point.
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Guess they got bored and wanted to reissue something else. I'm surprised they picked the silverface Twin. I think a reissue of the Twin Amp in blonde with that fantastic trem would be awesome, but I know I'm just dreaming, because if they did, it probably wouldn't be that great anyway. :(

And I agree, reissuing these things is pretty stupid when you can get the old ones around $700. Pretty sure they'll sound better too. :?
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Back in high school, I think it was 1975 or 1975, our stage band teacher had a budget for a guitar amp for the school. He came to me and said he was considering a new (silver face) Twin. I urged him to get the JBL upgrade, but he was having none of that. Later, after he purchased the amp, we were performing at a HS Jazz Band competition. We had just finished playing, and I was wheeling the amp back to our truck, when I crossed paths with the guitarist for the next band, wheeling his new Twin with JBL's. He says to me "huh, TWINS". I responded with "Yep", followed by a pause long enough so he wouldn't hear me say "piece of shit!" (referring to our school's amp). What I didn't know is that my teacher was walking right behind me! He never let me live that one down.
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
Gibsonman63

From the specs

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Modified Twin Reverb all-tube circuitry, shared reverb and tremolo on both channels, “Vintage” channel for traditional silverface tonality, modified “Custom” channel with Bassman tone stack, reduced negative feedback for greater touch sensitivity, hand-wired tube sockets, custom-made Schumacher transformers (like the originals), genuine Fender tube-driven spring reverb, genuine Fender tube-driven tremolo (“vibrato”), 1968-style Silverface aluminum trim around silver-turquoise grille cloth

Some minor, but useful mods. I see they are also doing the Deluxe Reverb and the Princeton Reverb as well. The hand-wired tube sockets may be a step up from the BlackFace reissue amps.

Tweeds are becoming unobtainable for mere mortals and the Silverface is the new Blackface.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

I don't know what Larry Thomas is thinking (except turning FMIC into Guitar Center). Probably too many consultants recommending ways to expand the audience at the expense of the Brand. Happened at Martin, too.

The best thing Fender had going (from a marketing perspective) was the Visitor Center (they charge for tours, dammit) with the Wood Vault thing where you can "design" your own guitar for around $2K. But you have to go there.

Put that on a bus and take it around the the country to GC and Ash parking lots. Even if you don't buy one, you gain a new appreciation for the process when you go inside to buy one at discounted retail.

Why not do that for amps, too? Preamp A with tone stack B with PI C and output D.

Dumble made his name repurposing Fenders, but he's never going to be a multinational corporation, so there will be no Dumble reissues at mere mortal price points. But if Fender gave him, say $5M, they could. Better than buying up nearly defunct brands.

Hell, I could run that company. I'll take half Larry's compensation.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Firestorm wrote:I don't know what Larry Thomas is thinking (except turning FMIC into Guitar Center) ........

You get my vote! 8)
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

NickC wrote:
Firestorm wrote:I don't know what Larry Thomas is thinking (except turning FMIC into Guitar Center) ........

You get my vote! 8)
Okay! Get on the Board and we'll talk. :wink:

Funny thing is CBS bought Fender and the New York Yankees in 1965 (and paid more for Fender). Yankees are worth $2.3B today. Fender: who knows? Revenue may be around $350M, but I'd never assume 10X, especially with the debt they have. I think the acquisition strategy is killing them. The idea of funding your own competition makes no sense. P&G may be the exception.

Oh wait. Is this not the Investors Business Daily site?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

You can buy original black face super reverbs all day between 1700-2000. Twins are barely 200 more expensive, either way.

Why? Why why oh why would I?
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Firestorm wrote: ..............
Okay! Get on the Board and we'll talk. :wink:

Funny thing is CBS bought Fender and the New York Yankees in 1965 (and paid more for Fender). Yankees are worth $2.3B today. Fender: who knows? Revenue may be around $350M, but I'd never assume 10X, especially with the debt they have. I think the acquisition strategy is killing them. The idea of funding your own competition makes no sense. P&G may be the exception.

Oh wait. Is this not the Investors Business Daily site?
Get on the Board? My best shot would have been acquiring a controlling interest in stock shares. But since they withdrew the IPO late last year, I guess we're out of luck.

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/ipos/comp ... 7528-69355
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

I bet they resurrect the IPO in the next couple of years. Market was unfavorable, but they still need cash.