JCM 2000 keeps popping HT fuse

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

beasleybodyshop

JCM 2000 keeps popping HT fuse

Post by beasleybodyshop »

I have a 100 watt JCM2000 on my bench. I completely retubed the amp with known working tubes. I adjusted the bias and off she went. It came back a few weeks later with the owner saying it keeps popping HT fuses. I check bias again, seems ok. After an hour or so on my bench the fuse pops. Following the factory schematic, I can't find any shorts in the B+ supply....anyone dealt with this issue before?
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
billyz

Re: JCM 2000 keeps popping HT fuse

Post by billyz »

Many of those jcm 2000 have conductive circuit boards that manifest as the amp heats up. CE sells the replacement board from Marshall. Or you can do a lot of Dremel work and rerun some resistors. I have also found some to have faulty ceramic caps that short intermittently. I just clip them out. Problem solved. Some even had the wrong value resistors loaded so check them . If I remember it's the grid resistors and even the grid load/bias feed resistors.
One more thing is the output jacks , the shorting lug is daisy chained and fails , especially when using the 8 ohm out. I run a hard ground wire across them all. I have seen several melted and arc'd over.
bluesfreak

Post by bluesfreak »

billyz probably nailed it, JCM2000 (TSL/DSL) until late 2003 do have issues with the Main PCB getting conductive and resistors drifting when heating up, you need a new Main PCB to fix that properly... I recall tubesandmore do sell that...
No tube, no sound...
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

When you say "after an hour on the bench" is this at idle or under load?
Does the bias voltage change after 1/2 hour on the bench under load?
Any signs of arcing in the output sockets when viewed close?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Thanks guys, I tried to talk the customer into ordering the replacement board, and he just told me to keep the amp :( He took all the new tubes back. I think im going to gut it and use the transformers and chassis for something.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
billyz

Post by billyz »

beasleybodyshop wrote:Thanks guys, I tried to talk the customer into ordering the replacement board, and he just told me to keep the amp :( He took all the new tubes back. I think im going to gut it and use the transformers and chassis for something.
Sweet :)

You can fix it and sell it.