1979 Superlead Gut Pics

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gldtp99

1979 Superlead Gut Pics

Post by gldtp99 »

This amp was brought to me for service the other day---- the owner said it hasn't been working for some time---he wants it put back into operation and modded to sound like an SLO/Dual Rec-based 50 watter I did a couple of yrs ago.
I opened it up, while he was here, and found this mess----- I just took pics and wanted to share them for a laugh:

[IMG:800:600]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/gldtp99/Marshall%20SL%201979/IMG_4994_zps20b30a7d.jpg[/img]

[IMG:800:600]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/gldtp99/Marshall%20SL%201979/IMG_4996_zps6bea1c19.jpg[/img]

[IMG:800:600]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/gldtp99/Marshall%20SL%201979/IMG_4995_zps5f51a96e.jpg[/img]

[IMG:800:600]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/gldtp99/Marshall%20SL%201979/IMG_4997_zps07b8578f.jpg[/img]

I'll use a new turret board, add another preamp tube, and generally rebuild this amp so that it sounds the way he wants it to and make sure that it is a safe, reliable amplifier.
The person responsible for the ugly butcher job actually glued their business card to the back plate of the amp as if they were proud of this work--- :roll: :roll: :roll:
I'll post "after" pics when I'm done with this job...........................gldtp99
Colossal

Re: 1979 Superlead Gut Pics

Post by Colossal »

Yeah, that's a total redo.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Looks like a practice amp for a newbe wanna be amp tech.
Does, or did the amp work?
I cant belive someone would spend tha time to make the short 1.5 inch long sheilded grid wires!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

Stevem wrote: Does, or did the amp work?
The owner said that the amp used to work but stopped working shortly after being modded---- and it has been sitting idle for some time.
I have no reason to power this amp up as it is----- I powered up a heavily modded BF Bassman one time, that was in for a complete rebuild, and smoke started rolling out from under the board as soon as I took it off Standby--- I snatched that power cord out of the wall as fast as I could and was lucky that it didn't catch on fire sitting on my bench.
The quality of work that I see on this Superlead is so poor that I don't trust it---I don't want a repeat of the Bassman experience.
In the pics check out the hot glue that was applied to the V2 tube socket to keep it in place----- the hot glue is no longer sticking to the chassis so the tube socket is held in place by the wiring and the plastic flange of the socket itself----- It is not bolted to the chassis and can move/vibrate at will.
In the first pic the orange/black 47uF bypass cap is installed backwards, positive end to ground.
The more I looked at this amp, the more build mistakes I saw.
There's no way I'm powering this one up as it is..............................gldtp99
tictac

Post by tictac »

El-Cheapo Rat-Shack shielded wire.... looks like another Torres hack job...

TT
rp

Post by rp »

'79 is still a good year. Can't tell if the fronts been hacked otherwise why not keep the pcb board, clean it all nice, restore - wima and rifa box caps are still out there, try out with a proper 4x12, maybe it'll be a real good one, then the owner could decide to keep or sell. If he sells he can use the money for a scratch built gldtp99 special.
maxwedge

Post by maxwedge »

Too bad, another Marshall bites the dust! I'd restore it too if the chassis is clean and the board is not too messed up, but it can get expensive to find all of the correct parts.