Rocket w/ Reverb

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Rocket w/ Reverb

Post by M Fowler »

I would have either have to use cliff jack or isolate the Switchcraft jack to keep it from introducing any noise.

At the time I didn't know it was that crazy light bulb introducing noise into my Rocketeer so I isolated all the pots and switchcraft jacks worked great.

I have had so much trouble with cliff jacks and on my latest Dizzy 30 have another two that are bad again.

As far as I am concerned a Switchcraft jack is a heck of a lot better jack.
angelodp

amended

Post by angelodp »

I agree, in my limited use of Cliffs, the one I have in my Rocket seems intermittent. I better stock up on the isolation washers for the switchcraft.

Just amending this as I discovered it was a faulty foot-pedal causing the intermittent boost not the cliff jack. Cliff-jack fine.
Last edited by angelodp on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
amplifiednation

rocket w/reverb

Post by amplifiednation »

I didn't know this thread was gonna be alive today!!

I finally got started!

I think my transformer placement could have been better, but I'm still in good shape.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

I just posted a new thread to get myself through the building process. You guys have been super helpful.

If you need any tolexing tips, please don't hesitate to ask.

Also, those caps aren't in place yet, just siliconed together in the stack, but still loose
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
angelodp

edges

Post by angelodp »

Off to a nice start, check the edges on your holes, some look a bit sharp. terminal strip is a good , wish I had done that, the wires into the first EL-84 do get tight on those pins.

happy building
amplifiednation

rocket reverb

I put grommets in on the holes where wires were coming through. I mounted all the tube sockets today and they are good. I tried to post an updated pic but I'm not sure it uploaded. Maybe I hit the other thread I posted

I'm concerned about the recto tube location. Is it too close to the PT? Does it matter as long as it fits? I don't have an octal socket to mount yet but i have a tube hanging around and it fits fine, it's just close.

Ange you have been awesome helping me with this. Thanks my man.

Just looked at the pics, I'm not sure my external pic loaded, so here it is. Let me know about the tube. I can move the location of the rectifier but i really don't want to. This puppy won't pass as a clone, I just want it to work well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
angelodp

VVR- DC

Post by angelodp »

Sure happy to do what I can. Are you still thinking about the VVR?

That does look pretty tight on the rectifier, it may be better to re-locate. I'm sure Mark or others will chime in.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That rectifer will work there I have seen components mounted so close I would have believed problems could occur but didn't.

Your off to a good start.
amplifiednation

Awesome. Thanks guys. It's tight. It's my first amp build and I'm learning that every single decision makes an impact on everything...I'm happy that at least the main components are mounted. Great to hear I didn't make a 1.125 hole mistake. That wouldn't have been pretty.

I'm using the express guide as an outline and it's definately a good reference for the build. I should have read it over again before drilling holes, but I think the rocket will be able to take flight OK. I didn't give the PT enough clearance for the cabinet so had to move it further in from the front about 1/4 inch after drilling. The gaps are covered up but space just seems so limited, especially with the cap stack.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

The layout sheet on TAG for the rocket have that rectifier tube really close to the output tranny. I assumed you were following that as a guide. It seems to work O.K. but there is no reason you have to do it that way on your next build, there is plenty of room to slide it over a bit. I usually have to make at least one version of anything for my own educational benefit before I have it sorted out for the next build. Of all the Wrecks the Rocket is the most forgiving and layout doesn't seem to be ultra critical. keep us posted on your progress.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
amplifiednation

RJ Guitars wrote:The layout sheet on TAG for the rocket have that rectifier tube really close to the output tranny. I assumed you were following that as a guide. It seems to work O.K. but there is no reason you have to do it that way on your next build, there is plenty of room to slide it over a bit. I usually have to make at least one version of anything for my own educational benefit before I have it sorted out for the next build. Of all the Wrecks the Rocket is the most forgiving and layout doesn't seem to be ultra critical. keep us posted on your progress.

rj
thanks RJ. You are 100% correct. I printed out the layout real size, since we have an 11x17 printer, i was doing my best to replicate the layout.

I really appreciate the feedback as your expertise is so well respected!!!

Please let me help you guys out with tolex advice...maybe I'm building in the wrong forum!! Can't really tolex a TW cab. ;)

I'm pretty stoked about this project and you guys are to thank. I've recovered hundreds of amps but never had the chance to create one.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
amplifiednation

power amp section

I think I got this...posting for feedback.

Thanks for all of the help. I don't have my board built yet so I can finish the power amp tubes but at least I got the flying trapeze of screen resistors on there. This is my first build, so any help is seriously appreciated!!
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
angelodp

looking good

Post by angelodp »

Thats coming along nicely. Get ready to ROCK!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Looking good and you got the hardest crap done first so easy sailing now on :)
amplifiednation

Some continuity tests showed some mistakes but they have been fixed thanks to angelodp for the suggestion! I will keep up that practice!
Last edited by amplifiednation on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
amplifiednation

I got everything wired up except the recto socket/pots/board. I'm waiting for my turrets to get here! Thanks for all of the help guys.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation