Manzamp!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Re: Manzamp!

Post by Mark »

This crossed my mind and I had to ask. I had a look at the picture of the Manzamp and I couldn't see the coils in the picture. I would have thought that is a really big cathode cap.

I'm also wondering why would HAD used it when he hasn't used it in previous builds. How did you decide this was in the circuit after all?

Can you notice the difference of the coil being in circuit and not being in circuit?

I'm glad to hear the amp is working great and you've done an excellent job to build and amp from that picture.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Mark wrote:This crossed my mind and I had to ask. I had a look at the picture of the Manzamp and I couldn't see the coils in the picture. I would have thought that is a really big cathode cap.

I'm also wondering why would HAD used it when he hasn't used it in previous builds. How did you decide this was in the circuit after all?

Can you notice the difference of the coil being in circuit and not being in circuit?

I'm glad to hear the amp is working great and you've done an excellent job to build and amp from that picture.
That picture is certainly open to many interpretations. This is what I was seeing. I see three tubular black structures stacked on each other. Each with a silver band at each end. The bypass cap is the small radial aluminum capacitor to the right.

[IMG:223:348]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... uctors.jpg[/img]

I actually have a degree in Fine Arts, so if you were to say I had a 'very vivid imagination' I would take it as a compliment :)

Having said that I can imagine the cathode bypass resistor as a dark blue RN65 like below, wedged in between the bypass cap and the inductors.

[IMG:177:233]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... sistor.jpg[/img]

So, as you can see, some parts of the amp I built are more my imagination than 'Dumble's' and thus my reluctance to give away all the details so quickly.
Last edited by ic-racer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Regardless, your accomplishment is nothing short of amazing. I think you should have a career in forensic science.

ic-racer on CSI: "Enhance"

:D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Please don't think I'm trying to prove any thing with these pictures. I build amps for fun and entertainment. Feel free to agree or disagree, the pictures are really too blurry to ever know for sure. But that is the fun part about this amp!
[IMG:899:884]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... ations.jpg[/img]
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

Great, awesome thread.
Thank you for all this info.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

As I analyzed the image I eventually drew the components over the image. I then used these component shapes to draw the copper traces.
[IMG:1024:343]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... layout.jpg[/img]
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Most complete layout I did. Once the parts started rolling in, I just worked on the amp and did not update the layout. This is pretty close to what I wound up building.

[IMG:1022:605]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... mplete.jpg[/img]
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

A friend of mine has a Dumble Amp and was wondering what it might be valued at. Here is the deal:

It was built for Bonnie Raitt and took so long to get to her that she sold it without even playing it (so the story goes)
It is the only Manzamp ever built, there is a pre-amp Manzamp that I think Eric Johnson owned at one time.
It is basically Alexander take on a 4-10 B*ssm*n.

As you can imagine, there is not much info on this model.
Any help is appreciated.-- Zemaitis57 in Hawaii
I thought I'd repost this 'question' posted Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:01 am on the Vintage Amps Bulletin Board by a member Zemaitis57. Even though it is a question, it seems the post represents the entire internet breadth of knowledge of the Manzamp. It is funny that the question is being asked by someone who probably knows more about the Manzamp than everyone in the world except perhaps 2 other people (Dumble and the current amp owner).

Maybe his friend is no longer speaking to him; like couldn't he just ask his friend:
How did you find out about the amp being avaialbe?
Did you get it from Bonnie or her tech?
Did you get it from Dumble?
What year did you purchase it?
Did anyone else own the amp?
How much was it?
Did you ever have it serviced?
Did you ever contact Dumble about the amp?
How does it sound?
What kind of tubes were in it, did you ever re-tube it?
What is the bias set at?
Is there a serial number on the chassis?
What kind of transformers?
Last edited by ic-racer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

When was that posted? Recently? I take it not or you would be asking "Hawaii".

Btw, what you're doing here is nothing short of amazing. You are truly an artist.
Chad

Post by Chad »

You Ic are beyond words. Fuckin' amazing Thanks for your contribution here not only for the Manzamp but for so many more interesting thoughts on the Dumble circuits all together.You are a very very valuable member to this forum,and I myself canot thank you enough.Anyway Thank you, Chad
dreric

Post by dreric »

IC ..............you are freaking amazing! Thank you so much for your knowledge, wisdom, patience and generosity.

Much respect and gratitude. AND the amp sounds great!

Eric
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
Mark

Post by Mark »

Agreed building an amp from that blurred photo is something most people wouldn't bother with.

It is a milestone at this forum to say the least.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

IC, As others have said and I add, you are an amazing builder and interpreter! Thanks for sharing . The amp sounds super.
v00d00blues79

Post by v00d00blues79 »

IC,

You sir are an animal! To take it from some of the fuzziest pictures I've seen in a long time to an amp that sounds that good is some serious talent!

Thanks,

Andy
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

Managed to do some little wiring today. Preamp and P.I nearly completed.
As you can see from the picture it's "old school" point to point construction.
Probably the first point to point "manzamp" ever built;)

I used mixed array of capacitors and resistors. Some old some new. Resistor types (cf/mf) are the same in similar positions as in the ic_racer's "proposed manzamp schematic" ecxept few spots. I used metal film 68k input resistor because I found one Dale RN70D with correct value.
I have now wired the first 12ax7 parallel as I will mostly be using one input anyway. Have to experience with different bright cap values.

330pf cap I didn't have so I substituted it with 200pf russian silver mica axial box cap stacked with 150pf polystyrene cap. Measured 334pf total. I decided to go without the inductor on the cathode of v1. I now have there 1k5 bypassed with 1uf siemens mkl cap.
I also used 10uf siemens mkl cap instead electro on v2a cathode because I happened to have one. Also substituted the first 47nf coupling cap with 22nf. Should be still lots of bass available. And fibally I changed bias feed resistors to 100k. Probably have to experiment with that too. Will see and hear.
Can't wait to get it ready for testing!
Picture ain't good quality but I'll take better quality pictures when I get some progress.
You really did awesome job investigating the manzamp ic-racer.
Hats off!

-T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.