2019 Monkeymatic Pinnacle #3 (using HRD2ODS Rev B PCB)

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

2019 Monkeymatic Pinnacle #3 (using HRD2ODS Rev B PCB)

Post by xtian »

Here is my first build using @jazzguitargimp 's HRD2ODS Rev B PCB. (I have built two others, using Rev A PCB).

This build utilizes a '95 Carvin XV-112 combo for its donor cab/chassis/iron.

I got the chassis drilled out today. To fit the PCB, I had to rotate the PT 180 degrees, and move the OT to an entirely new location (used headphone trick to null noise), otherwise the input stages and OT's wires would be in very close proximity.

Before:
before.jpg

After:
IMG_3326.jpg
IMG_3327.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: 2019 Monkeymatic Pinnacle #3 (using HRD2ODS Rev B PCB)

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Very interested to see how it turns out!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I'm curious about why you laid the OT on it's side.
xtian

Post by xtian »

sluckey wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:14 am I'm curious about why you laid the OT on it's side.
It couldn't stay where it was, and when I moved it to the middle of the chassis, the hum was bad. I had to tip it up in order to cancel the hum. But this put the primary and secondary leads in the perfect position, so I went with it. I just had to go buy some 3" #8-32 screws.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

what are you going to do with the Graphic EQ?

M
xtian

Post by xtian »

norburybrook wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 am what are you going to do with the Graphic EQ?
Not using it.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

xtian wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:37 pm
norburybrook wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 am what are you going to do with the Graphic EQ?
Not using it.
How about the SSS filters? I bet you could use the sliders for each capacitor ladder :D

M
xtian

Post by xtian »

All done. Had to swap OT primaries. Other than that, fired up with no issues. Getting 460v plates, dissipating about 30mA per tube.

Phil, I turned the master volume down, but turned up everything else to maximum, PAB boosted, Rock tone stack, OD channel--huge amount of gain, but I can't get it to oscillate at all, even with single coils. And the chassis is open to the world.

The OD channel sounds fizzy and too bright. I'll install the plate-to-cathode fizz caps that appear in 102 and 183, but not BM, for some reason.

IMG_3328.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Well, adding fizz caps was a fail. I tried 47p and 390p. Adding these caps makes the distortion uglier, choppier, but no less fizzy.

However! I got a major improvement in OD tone by removing MV bright cap C33 (47p) and a smaller but valuable improvement by removing OD Volume bright cap C43 (30p).

Getting some pretty rocking, high gain lead tones. Though the low gain OD sounds still are a bit choppy and ice picky.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Speaker report! First I put up the new Jensen N12D. Sounded great on clean...really great. BUT, it's shocking what that extended response does for overdrive and distortion. NOT pleasant at all, if you're expecting the soft high end of a typical guitar speaker. No surprise here--a quick look at the frequency plot show that, where typical guitar speakers fall off sharply around 3-5KHz, the Jensen N12D is almost flat up past 10KHz! This speaker sounds amazeballs with a big delay and reverb sound, but not at all good with distortion.

Then I put in the Eminence EM12N. Ahhhhhh. There's a sound I'm comfortable with. Good speaker. Light in weight (neodymium magnet) and 200w capable. Does sound like EV EM12L.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Great looking build xtian , really like the orange look, congrats!
I am curious about the EM12N speaker with your ODS build , how would you compare it to a non Neodymium magnet speaker such as the Eminence EM12 or the EVM12L or even a G1265 or Classic Lead 80.
I like how these speakers sound open and organic once worked in for lack of better words

I remember you saying how much you liked the Jensen Jet Tornado 100 watt Neodymium a while back.

I want to make the jump to Neodymium, but I am so picky about tone loss.

Cheers
Guy
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Guy77 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:59 pm Great looking build xtian , really like the orange look, congrats!
I am curious about the EM12N speaker with your ODS build , how would you compare it to a non Neodymium magnet speaker such as the Eminence EM12 or the EVM12L or even a G1265 or Classic Lead 80.
I like how these speakers sound open and organic once worked in for lack of better words

I remember you saying how much you liked the Jensen Jet Tornado 100 watt Neodymium a while back.

I want to make the jump to Neodymium, but I am so picky about tone loss.

Cheers
Guy
This is where I am at. I will say I put a 65W Jensen neo in an 18W and it was pretty killer. Different but very, very good. I am hard to fool though and my ear picks out and likes what it likes :| Definitely open minded though.

Did not mean to derail your thread Xtian. Very nice reduce/reuse/recycle build!
donvan

Post by donvan »

Hi Aaron,
Nice work on an interesting retro-fit project. I'm curious about your OD fizz issue. What type of guitar and pickups were you using when you were hearing the annoying ice picky fizz?
rootz

Post by rootz »

I think this one is amazing! Not your typical Dumble clone build (not that I don't like those though).

I can't really see what circuit I'm looking at. This is an HRM with 2n2 before lean gain and 1uF on the V2b cathode?
By the looks of it you already turned the treble in the HRM down low, say 10 'o clock, right? I think you did the right thing ditching those bright caps. I imagine the HRM is a pretty bright amp by it's nature without those caps.
xtian

Post by xtian »

rootz wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:08 pm I think this one is amazing! Not your typical Dumble clone build (not that I don't like those though).

I can't really see what circuit I'm looking at. This is an HRM with 2n2 before lean gain and 1uF on the V2b cathode?
By the looks of it you already turned the treble in the HRM down low, say 10 'o clock, right? I think you did the right thing ditching those bright caps. I imagine the HRM is a pretty bright amp by it's nature without those caps.
At this point, our circuit is a hybrid. Mostly #183 and BluesMaster. Lou just posted the schematic, if you want a look, PAGE 15 of this thread: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32646