Turret board suggestions

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JJH0906

Turret board suggestions

Post by JJH0906 »

Greetings!

Has anyone who builds with turret boards have any suggestions of the best boards in turrets to use for a build?

I had purchased a board with associated turrets, I did check the measurements but I must have misunderstood what I was purchasing. You can see the attached picture, these things are tiny! I would be nervous about attaching anything larger than a quarter watt resistor on these!

Fortunately the parts I purchased weren't very expensive but I believe I am not in the right area of making a quality turret board with these parts. Thanks in advance for letting me know what you use, and where you purchase them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JJH0906 on Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sluckey

Re: Turret board suggestions

Post by sluckey »

Those turrets are fine. I can put up to four 1/2W metal film resistors in the top hole of that size turret. Fewer fat leads fit, but you can always wrap around the barrel of the turret.

gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Nice layout, Sluckey - what is that for?
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

gktamps wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:53 pm Nice layout, Sluckey - what is that for?
That's my Phoenix... All American Dual Lite. Just a Fender AB763 but the second channel is an Ampeg Gemini II preamp. Here's the link. Schematic/layout at the bottom of the page...

http://sluckeyamps.com/phoenix/phoenix.htm

JJH0906

Post by JJH0906 »

Thanks sluckey!

I dunno they se sketch to me but I'll give it a go when I'm ready and see what happens.

Nice amp build, I was able to pick up some ideas from that!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

sluckey wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:10 pm That's my Phoenix...

8)
(love that kind of little monsters)

On an irrelevant matter, with respect to the original poster: how did you made the labels on the chassis, please?
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I'm not the OP. The labels look like waterslide decals. Don't know if you can see this example (Amazon link) in France.
https://www.amazon.com/Hayes-Paper-Wate ... r=8-3&th=1
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Are y'all talking about the labels on my little amp? Those labels are just made with a cheap DYMO printer using black type on clear tape...

https://www.amazon.com/DYMO-S0915390-Dy ... 004G6NVKU/

Hmmm. I see they are no longer so cheap! Must be about to become an extinct classic! :mrgreen:
JJH0906

Post by JJH0906 »

sluckey wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:08 pm Those turrets are fine. I can put up to four 1/2W metal film resistors in the top hole of that size turret. Fewer fat leads fit, but you can always wrap around the barrel of the turret.

Sluckey, Is that some kind of a software package you use to do the graphical layout for the turret boards? If so, would you mind sharing what it is?
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

JJH0906 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:46 pm Sluckey, Is that some kind of a software package you use to do the graphical layout for the turret boards? If so, would you mind sharing what it is?
Visio 2010
JJH0906

Post by JJH0906 »

Really? That's it? You mean I don't need to go spend a whole bunch of money on some expensive layout software? Miracle, miracle!

Are you sure The turrets that I originally shared for this post are going to work okay? I did a little preassembly on a small circuit yesterday and while they do seem reasonable, it just seems like there are more rugged ones out there for a 3 mm board.

Let me know If you have some other options and where I might be able to find them.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Visio ain't cheap.

I buy all my turrets and 1/8" G10 boards from Hoffman. Top quality stuff. The quality of turrets can vary from one manufacturer to another.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

If you're looking for layout software, DIYLC is not bad, and it's free. I've added a sample of a layout I recently did (which, by the way, borrows sluckey's improved tremolo circuit). If you're interested, here's the link: http://diy-fever.com/software/diylc/

As far as the turrets, I have some that also seem kind of dainty. They do appear to be holding up, though. YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

If you are looking for quality turrets, check out Keystone. They are US Made. There have been several instances documented on the forum with guys buying imported turrets and having a lot of issues getting solder to stick to them. Caveat emptor.
JJH0906

Post by JJH0906 »

Thanks for the software tips and the turret suppliers. I have been using a CAD program for some of the initial design work but it's honestly a bit much for what I'm trying to do. It's a high-end software that has thousands of features, of which I use about 10% of.

I haven't tried to do any soldering with the ones that I bought at this point. I got them from Amplified Parts out of Arizona, if that means anything. I have no idea where they get them from though. They just seem small all the way around and I'm concerned when big components start getting mounted on them, they might not hold up.