9 watt "Mini-D"

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

10thTx

9 watt "Mini-D"

Post by 10thTx »

I've built 14 amps. Hands down the one I have gotten the most compliments on by guitarists is a 6BM8 sort of mini-Marshall that cathode biased. I have been very favorably impressed with the tone of the 6BM8 tubes. Most of the amps I've done are 6V6 and 5881/6L6 amps but I have used EL84's also (which I don't care for too much).

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/ ... mbopic.jpg

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/ ... rbtank.jpg

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/ ... rofron.jpg

I got to thinking that it might be cool to have a 9 watt amp with the type of smooth overdrive and sustain that a Dumble has. I would NOT expect this amp to sound like a Dumble of course, but perhaps it would have some touch responsiveness and tonal characteristics of a Dumble? The 6BM8 amp I have is called a Little Wing (designed by DaGeezer) and it is one of the most touch responsive and articulate amps I've ever played.

So my thinking is the preamp may have some Dumble characteristics and the 6BM8 tubes may retain the touch responsiveness of the Little Wing amp?

I don't have plans to build this anytime soon, but thought it might be a cool project for someone that likes to color outside the lines a bit?

Any thoughts or critiques on the idea?? I thought I'd post this in the hopes of generating some new ideas.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 10thTx on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10thTx

9 watt "Mini-D" layout

Post by 10thTx »

This is a draft of the layout board for it.

Anybody like this as an idea or have comments?

10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harryk

Re: 9 watt "Mini-D"

Post by harryk »

:D I have made one Express, one Liverpool and some other amps which have preamp ala Twreck Express. I like their sound very much and I have one project just going on with one preamp channel ala Express and the other one ala Twin. This amp has two pairs of power tubes; one pair EL90 and the other EL95 in parallel to same OT. Both pairs of tubes have their own PPIMV master volumes. After finishing this project I would like to do a project which has Express or Dumble preamp and power amp with either ECL86 or ECL82 tubes in push pull configuration. I do not see any problems to build that kind of amp and it will give you some 8-10 W output power which a lot of noice when cranked . On the other hand I have no idea of Dumbles and their sound but I have heard that they are more famous of their clean sound and not lead sound. I would like to share my ideas with this forum members. Harry
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

What kind of OT would you use with those 6BM8?
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

What kind of OT would you use with those 6BM8?
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
10thTx

9 Watt "mini" D_mble ?

Post by 10thTx »

The schematic has a suggestion for a PT & OT on it. They're Hammonds.

However, you could also use an 18W PT & OT or a WeberVST Deluxe PT (270-0-270 windings) and a DR OT.

With respect, 10thtx
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

I sure do like the looks of this!!

[img:538:404]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/ ... mbopic.jpg[/img]
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
10thTx

LWR cab

Post by 10thTx »

Thanks that wood is Sappelle and the front panel is crotch mahoganey that is book matched. Those are both woods that are very nice to work with. That cab is close to the size of a Deluxe 5E3 or Princeton Reverb range. That's the Little Wing Reverb. It has a 10" Ragin Cajun Emminenc in it. I think it's a cool amp and players seem to love it.
Last edited by 10thTx on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonely Raven

Re: 9 Watt "mini" D_mble ?

Post by Lonely Raven »

10thTx wrote:The schematic has a suggestion for a PT & OT on it. They're Hammonds.

However, you could also use an 18W PT & OT or a WeberVST Deluxe PT (270-0-270 windings) and a DR OT.

With respect, 10thtx
Cool! I happen to have both of those transformers in a box somewhere. :)
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
billyz

Post by billyz »

Is the Layout missing the Phase invertor? Looks pretty cool though.
stoo

Post by stoo »

billyz wrote:Is the Layout missing the Phase invertor? Looks pretty cool though.
The 6BM8 has a triode and a pentode in the same bottle. He's using the 2 triodes for the LTP PI and the 2 pentodes for the o/p. Kinda' cool eh!
Stew