Is a Super Reverb OT (MM, with 4,8,16) OK to use in a build?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pine

Is a Super Reverb OT (MM, with 4,8,16) OK to use in a build?

Post by pine »

Am planning a build, and wanted to ask if anyone has tried a Super Reverb OT yet (with the variable impedances, MM makes them), instead of the normal Bassman iron. I want to see if I can get a clean tone a little closer to blackface than tweed. I'm not sure if the OT is the place to start looking for that tone or not, so I thought I'd run it by you guys.
Bob-I

Re: Is a Super Reverb OT (MM, with 4,8,16) OK to use in a build?

Post by Bob-I »

I used the same iron on one of my builds. I works well but it's not truly a BF type clean, much fatter and Dumble like.
pine

Post by pine »

Does it have a smoother OD, less sawtoothed and grainy than the Bassman iron?
talbany

Post by talbany »

I think most Super OT's were 2-4-8 Ohms... Do they make one that's 4-8-16..Double check it...

Tony
pine

Post by pine »

They do make one, the FBFSUP-OM with 4,8,16.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Tweed Bassman Iron is 2 ohm, Blackface Bassman Iron(What's in a 50W dumble) is 4 ohm. Be sure that they got the same gauge of wire in there for the 4 ohm tap on the multi-tap, usually when you add taps you have to use a larger core to get it all in there-
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

talbany wrote:I think most Super OT's were 2-4-8 Ohms... Do they make one that's 4-8-16..Double check it...

Tony
Mine is 2 - 4 - 8 but not an issue because I have several 8 ohm cabs.
glasman

Post by glasman »

The 50W Dumble bluesmaster I played a couple of years ago use a Ruby 2-4-8 ohm Super reverb replacement tranny. FWIW.
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

glasman wrote:The 50W Dumble bluesmaster I played a couple of years ago use a Ruby 2-4-8 ohm Super reverb replacement tranny. FWIW.
Those are larger than a stock Bassman OT as I recall- Great sounding trannie BTW-
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
talbany

Post by talbany »

I don't know maybe it's me but if it's 4-8-16 How can they label it a Super transformer...especially if it's one of there tone clone series..I can see if the Supers used a different M series type wire or a different type core, Iron composite etc...I always thought it was basically identical to the 50w BF Bassman but with a different tap configuration...I guess it would be cool if you like the tone a 2 ohm tap yields.. or if your favorite speakers only came in 8 ohms...

Tony VVT
Last edited by talbany on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pine

Post by pine »

I'm really just shooting for a smoother, less grainy (for want of a better word) OD tone without the reedy quality of a tweed amp, I mentioned the Super Reverb because that's the tone I would like to get in the clean and mildly overdriven tones and a good Dumble tone for the bulk of the OD channel. If another OT will do that I'm open to it. Is this going to be easier to accomplish in a 100 watt build?
talbany

Post by talbany »

Makes sense.... It very well could be the 2 ohm tap is a small part of the nice open airy chime on the top end Super's are known for... Although the Dumble preamp is so different... Skyliner stack with about 100 less volts on plates of clean channel and about 60 more volts on the PI using a 12ax...Not as smooth..

Would using a Super transformer instead of a Bassman make the clean channel sound more Super like..I kinda doubt it..Hey give it a shot I love to be proven wrong...
The smoothest sound I've been able to get has been with used already broken in transformers...

Tony VVT
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

I've used both flavors of the Mercury Magnetics and the only difference I hear is more bass response with the larger Bassman type iron. Not always a good thing if you're using the large Dumble Coupling Caps (100 watt values) throughout for a 50 watt build, the smaller OT iron kind of makes up for it and may sound more balanced. Of course you could go with smaller coupling caps.....
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
pine

Post by pine »

So what makes a Super sound like a super, and is it impossible to marry that tone to a D-style overdrive? Does running through a 4X10 have a huge impact on the tone of a Super or is it a minor factor? I like not having to haul all that around (maybe a 2X10 or 3X10 solution?) but if I have to I have to.
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

pine wrote:So what makes a Super sound like a super, and is it impossible to marry that tone to a D-style overdrive? Does running through a 4X10 have a huge impact on the tone of a Super or is it a minor factor? I like not having to haul all that around (maybe a 2X10 or 3X10 solution?) but if I have to I have to.
What kind of Super sound are we talking about? a 1964 blackface

IMHO - its the
- preamp voicing (100k/1.5/22uF + Eq section),
- the PI input: 1n = 0.001 uf
- the sag of the rectifier tube
- and the (right) 4x10 speakers.