Master Volume in a Fender 5e3 Deluxe??

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rutledj

Re: Master Volume in a Fender 5e3 Deluxe??

Post by rutledj »

Is there a print/layout of the bias tracking ckt?

Rut
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Oh ferheavensakes just stick the MV in there. R3&R4 don't need to be so big though. 1 meg is fine. Otherwise when the wiper quits you kill tubes. If you don't like it.....rip it out? There's a plan.

I did that on a brown deluxe and my kid likes it fine, though he's no Derik Trucks.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
tubetek

Post by tubetek »

Rut-
The two fixed-bias circuits I'm familiar with I don't feel comfortable sharing; Kevin O'Connor (The Ultimate Tone series etc) has a website you can join and learn the circuit for Kevin's "Power Scaling" OR contact Dana Hall (known here as UR12) for info about his "VVR" design. Dana indicated to me that he was trying to protect the fixed-bias VVR circuit (can't blame him!) and his product is being offered thru licensing agreement from a few amp companies. He will happily sell you the blank PCB or the complete circuit, but so far, no schematic. Hope this helps...
Tom
EDIT> I bought UR12's board; came with detailed-enough instructions and parts list. It is a WORK OF ART!! Simple and elegant. That's how I learned the concept; I supported the artist.
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

I sent him a PM but haven't heard from him. I'd gladly pay for it:)

skyboltone: The MV was my next move but I was always curious about the power scaling stuff. When I saw this thread I thought I'd investigate a bit.

Rut
grangeramp

Post by grangeramp »

Thought this might interest you guys. A buddy of mine (Skip) is offering a VVRX kit for cathode-biased amps. I've installed it in a "Matchless" type 18 watt amp and it works great.

http://www.skipzcircuits.com/

He's testing his fixed bias design now.
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

skyboltone wrote:Oh ferheavensakes just stick the MV in there. R3&R4 don't need to be so big though. 1 meg is fine. Otherwise when the wiper quits you kill tubes. If you don't like it.....rip it out? There's a plan.

I did that on a brown deluxe and my kid likes it fine, though he's no Derik Trucks.
The Voice of Experience speaks!

If it were me I'd just dime the amp and tell the cops to sod off when they came. Hey, that reminds me of my other favorite "Fish Called Wanda" scene. John Cleese as "The Barrister". The Jewel Thief gets popped, Cleese is his lawyer. He's in jail, he tells his lawyer, "Tell the pigs to (sod) off" (I paraphrase.) Cleese turns to the cops and says, "(Sod) off, pigs!" The coppers look at him, incredulous. He says, emphatic this time, "I said (sod) off!"

The first time I saw that I shot beer outta my nose. :lol:
UR12

Post by UR12 »

grangeramp wrote:Thought this might interest you guys. A buddy of mine (Skip) is offering a VVRX kit for cathode-biased amps. I've installed it in a "Matchless" type 18 watt amp and it works great.

http://www.skipzcircuits.com/

He's testing his fixed bias design now.
I understand he has came up with his own circuit but I would think he could have been a little more thoughtful when coming up with a name for his product instead of trying to capatalize on my use of the name "VVR" Why not steal KOCs name and call it a PSK1x while he is at it. :evil:
grangeramp

Post by grangeramp »

I understand your concern, but its entirely possible he doesn't even know about yours. I didn't.

Another case in point- I built an amp and called it DragonFly w/ backlit logo on faceplate. 2 weeks ago I followed a link to an amp maker in TX and guess what? He has an amp called DragonFly with a backlit logo on the baffle. Sometimes things like that happen.

BTW, "variable voltage reduction" is not a new phrase. I heard it mentioned back in trade school days (1992) in reference to semiconductor technologies.

Sorry about coming in as a new member and "ruffling feathers," but I'm just sharing information. Do you have a link to your product? I'm a builder and always on the look out for new technology and products.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

grangeramp wrote:I understand your concern, but its entirely possible he doesn't even know about yours. I didn't.

Another case in point- I built an amp and called it DragonFly w/ backlit logo on faceplate. 2 weeks ago I followed a link to an amp maker in TX and guess what? He has an amp called DragonFly with a backlit logo on the baffle. Sometimes things like that happen.

BTW, "variable voltage reduction" is not a new phrase. I heard it mentioned back in trade school days (1992) in reference to semiconductor technologies.

Sorry about coming in as a new member and "ruffling feathers," but I'm just sharing information. Do you have a link to your product? I'm a builder and always on the look out for new technology and products.

I have been using the name VVR for about 3 years now in association with my product and he does know about my product. While the term Variable Voltage Regulator is a generic term, my Hall Electronics VVR2 is not.

From another forum
skipm45;4603938 wrote:I've seen Dana's designs on 18w and other sites. He gets good reports from users. This is simply another approach using a mosfet as a pass element, not a repackaging.

I've also seen Dana's fixed bias version. My prototype is a totally different approach.

The mosfet that I use has en extremely low RDSon. I use the chassis as a heat sink.

Skip
I don't have a webpage and sell mine by word of mouth only. Do a search on Google with VVR and UR12 and you will get all of the info you need. If you are interested in getting info you can email me at ilb_ur12@dbzmail.com
grangeramp

Post by grangeramp »

Apologies Dana. But then there are so many cool amp forums, and so little time.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

server error Double post
Last edited by UR12 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Duplicate post server error
Last edited by UR12 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

grangeramp wrote:Apologies Dana. But then there are so many cool amp forums, and so little time.
It would be much easier for all involved if he were to just change the name of his product before he gets too deep into it. Then of course there are other options. I have no problem at all with a little competition. I do have a problem with someone stealing a name I have been using for a few years now.
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

UR12 wrote:
grangeramp wrote:Apologies Dana. But then there are so many cool amp forums, and so little time.
It would be much easier for all involved if he were to just change the name of his product before he gets too deep into it. Then of course there are other options. I have no problem at all with a little competition. I do have a problem with someone stealing a name I have been using for a few years now.
Such commercial malpractice is to be denouced!! Loud and clear!!!

I believe that using Dana's product name is immoral and should not be tolerated. :roll:

This is a shameless rip-off, plain and simple... :roll:

I hope that this Skip guy will change the name of his product and move on with his life.

Major Twang
skipm45

Post by skipm45 »

Ok, I've been flamed a few times for using the product name VVRX.

Is "VVR" an acronym that you coined? I don't doubt it, I simply don't know.
If so, then congratulations. "VVR" has become something of a generic term, like PI , OT, or MV. Mention "VVR" on most amp building sites and the immediate reference is to powerscaling or the like. That was my reason for naming it as I did.

I'm a reasonable person, so since this seems to be an issue, I'll change the name of my product. Personally I don't care if I call it "SOaS". One of my OEM customers has been kind enough to allow me to use the term that he uses to describe it as the product name.

I would suggest that if you wish to protect the acronym "VVR" you trademark or copyright the term.

Skip