1979 Hiwatt

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

C Moore

Re: 1979 Hiwatt

Post by C Moore »

ToneMerc wrote:I've always took it to mean Overdrive Lead because of the extra gain stage, but I might be wrong at it's actual connotation.

TM
That makes sense. My amp does no match that schematic, other then the OT. My amp does not have the extra gain that the OL does. The first AX7 is split between the Normal and Brilliant channel, so there is not an extra gain stage like there is with the OL.
Thanks
norris2002

Post by norris2002 »

Could someone explain what the second half of V4 is doing? (the first half being final gain stage before the PI). I am reasonably new to higher wattage amp building/schematics, and like the hiwatt/sound city sound.

Thanks in advance.

Neil.
Ian444

Post by Ian444 »

It seems to be be set up as a voltage regulator, setting a bias of 76V at the grid of the PI. This gives the 22K tail resistor of the PI a fair bit of voltage across it, which usually makes this type of PI more linear. There is a lot more involved with their feedback scheme, makes my brain crumble, even though its very simple. I guess the theory would be covered somewhere. Maybe pin 2 of V3 is held constant with the 76V and everything around it moves with the feedback signal.