GearTunes.com

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dreric

GearTunes.com

Post by dreric »

A dear friend of mine, Doug Doppler, just lunched a web page where he demos gear in a way that's actually useful. This whole project started years ago when Doug ask to borrow a bunch of my old amps and effects for his "Get Killer Tone" videos. Since then it's blown up in an awesome way! Check him out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5htEogXapug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgC1_RkBDxA

http://geartunes.com/
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: GearTunes.com

Post by LeftyStrat »

I'm a big fan of Doug. Seems like a really nice guy and quite a player. His four part video on the Dumble is really cool.

I'll check it out.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

If I'm not mistaken, I was in a Top40 band with Doug in 1984. I didn't know his last name back then - we called him Dougie IIRC. From the videos you posted, and from what this old, blind man remembers, I think it could be him by golly!
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Doug Doppler

Hello!

Post by Doug Doppler »

Hey Dr. Eric, Lefty, and Jazz:)

Thanks for the kind words - always appreciated. Dr. Eric - I REALLY appreciate your helping spread the word about the site. What Dr. Eric did not mention (other than being my go to guy for Chiropractic rescue) was that he kindly loaned me his vintage '63 Vibrolux Reverb and '68 Pro Reverb, both of which I used on a ton of clips, as well as various pedals from the good doctor's medicine cabinet of tonal treats!

Lefty - nice to meet you:) Those Dumble clips. The BEST thing about them is that Goofy Dawg asked if he could shoot some video and I just said yes. While I knew some people might end up seeing those clips at some point, what amazes me is how many people I run into in seemingly unrelated places that have seen and enjoyed those clips. We were just kind of having fun, and hopefully that's what came across:)

Jazz - which T40 band might this be - there were a few around then. One of my favorite stories was loading out of a venue after the last night of a four night stint and opening the hotel room door only to find the room had been swapped out. I never saw the guy's face, but he sounded big, and I was on my way back out that door with a speed that I still remember. Memories!!!

Thanks again - I'm looking forward to learning some good stuff here - Cheers ~ Doug;)
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Hey Doug, welcome aboard. I really liked those Dumble clips you and Goofydog did.

Do some more! :D
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: Hello!

Post by LeftyStrat »

Welcome aboard, this is a great community of builders and tone seekers.
Doug Doppler wrote:We were just kind of having fun, and hopefully that's what came across:)
That's why I liked it so much. You guys were like kids in a candy store, and I would be too if I got a chance to play a real Dumble. I also liked that you showed the versatility of the amp, instead of just copping Carlton or Ford licks. I already know what they sound like through one.

I've been meaning to pick up your DVD series. I saw one clip from them of the Steel String Singer. I'd love to hear more clips of that beast, especially stepping through different filter settings.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Doug, I like the concept on your web site, of showing the recording chain, and having some interactivity over it. The simplest improvement I would suggest is just this: if it's a guitar, for example, allow a sound clip for guitar straight into amp, no effects, SM57. That's baseline, and it should be available for every guitar. Then other clips with full FX, etc.

Best luck!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Doug welcome aboard I like your videos and Eric has been fun to talk to over my years on ampgarage. :)
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Hi Doug,

Welcome aboard! This is a fun and informative place.

The T40 band I referred to was the Wirly Burleys. IIRC, our Doug had just graduated from GIT. We rehearsed in Los Angeles. Julie on vocals, Greg on drums, and I was playing bass in that band. We took a trip to Big Bear for a gig, not realizing there would be snow. Funny trying to load-in to the bar in sneakers in the snow. All of us, except Doug (you?) came down with the flu while we were there. Doug was bragging about "I never get sick", but he got it pretty bad on the trip home... Fun times.... :-)

Lou
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
dreric

Post by dreric »

Doug Doppler wrote:Hey Dr. Eric, Lefty, and Jazz:)

Thanks again - I'm looking forward to learning some good stuff here - Cheers ~ Doug;)
Welcome aboard my brother!

Be very careful with this crew, next thing you know you'll want to make an amp or two.......or three.
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
Doug Doppler

Post by Doug Doppler »

Short version. That is hands down the warmest reception I've ever had from an online community - thanks for that - wow!!! Lots there that deserves more of a response than I have at the moment - but again thanks for the exceptionally warm welcome:)

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads here - Cheers ~ Doug:)
Doug Doppler

Post by Doug Doppler »

Blackburn wrote:Hey Doug, welcome aboard. I really liked those Dumble clips you and Goofydog did.

Do some more! :D
Hey Blackburn - thanks! You actually inspired an idea that deserves some deeper thought. I no longer have any of the Henry Kaiser amps on loan, but I do have one of Jelle Welagens's ODS builds here. Might be fun to do a talk/play walk through the feature set so people who have not had a chance to play an ODS-style amp would have some insight into how they function. And, it would give people a chance to hear this amp, which is a really special build. Dr. Eric, you're invited to come by for a play - Cheers ~ Doug;)
Doug Doppler

Post by Doug Doppler »

LeftyStrat wrote:Welcome aboard, this is a great community of builders and tone seekers.
Doug Doppler wrote:We were just kind of having fun, and hopefully that's what came across:)
That's why I liked it so much. You guys were like kids in a candy store, and I would be too if I got a chance to play a real Dumble. I also liked that you showed the versatility of the amp, instead of just copping Carlton or Ford licks. I already know what they sound like through one.

I've been meaning to pick up your DVD series. I saw one clip from them of the Steel String Singer. I'd love to hear more clips of that beast, especially stepping through different filter settings.
Hey Lefty: thanks for the welcome and kind words! The DVD series, has actually become the http://www.GearTunes.com site, and over the next month you'll find a bunch of the stuff that was slated for the DVDs appearing. We have a pretty big backlog of stuff to get online, which for me is pretty exciting. Thanks again - Cheers ~ Doug:)
Doug Doppler

Post by Doug Doppler »

xtian wrote:Doug, I like the concept on your web site, of showing the recording chain, and having some interactivity over it. The simplest improvement I would suggest is just this: if it's a guitar, for example, allow a sound clip for guitar straight into amp, no effects, SM57. That's baseline, and it should be available for every guitar. Then other clips with full FX, etc.

Best luck!
Dear XTIAN: thanks for the kind words - appreciated. You've actually opened a very exciting door through which I'll happily jump. SO, virtually everything I'm tracking now is done using the Radial JCR Reamp, which means that I am creating DI clips for most every piece of gear. While I will be selective about which DI clips I put forward, a number of raw guitar clips and post effect clips are cued up for adding to the site. They've been optimized for using your iPhone/mobile device as a reamp, and can be particularly helpful for amp builders since they can loop one of my tracks with an iPhone and make amp tweaks without having to alternate between playing to see if a tweak was better or worse. I have a number or Rock 'N' Roll Relics guitars with David Allen Pickups that will be the first DI guitars to get added. I'll make sure to circle back when those clips go live. Because of the sheer volume of stuff I have to demo, I might not post no effects-free clips for every guitar - DI or otherwise, your post will definitely be food for thought, and therefore it greatly appreciated - thanks for that - Cheers ~ Doug;)
Doug Doppler

Post by Doug Doppler »

M Fowler wrote:Doug welcome aboard I like your videos and Eric has been fun to talk to over my years on ampgarage. :)
Hey M: - thank for your post and kind words! And yes, Dr. Eric is a gem - Cheers ~ Doug;)
Last edited by Doug Doppler on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.