#124 started

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

#124 started

Post by norburybrook »

well had a day at home today so started the #124 in earnest.

made by first set of boards :D not a big deal for you professionals but it was for me. I've no workshop or proper tools so everything is a PIA. Still, job done and they seem fine, not perfect but functional.

One question about the relays as I've made them old school!!!

does the OD relay top second from right pin connect to the bottom right pin? it looks like it does on the layout but couldn't be sure.

oh, and as I'm not doing FET what's the resistor value I need , and where does it go on the power board?

Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
telentubes

Re: #124 started

Post by telentubes »

Cool! Looking forward to watching this come together.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks, won't be quick though as I'm just finishing an 8 week tour then start an album project with a new artist in 10 days.

I'll do a bit when I can.

I'll post pics as I go, I know the regulars here don't need it but it might help a novice such as myself.

Without TAG none of this would have been possible for someone like me who jumped in feet first a couple of years ago with very little knowledge about electronics. Each build has taught me so much....

because none of them worked first time ... :D

I wonder if my 100% record of wiring OT primaries the wrong way will be upheld? SCREEEEEETCH......
Marcus
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Looks good to me as well :)
Boards are PITA, but once you get hang of it - they are like drilling chassis at home - still PITA :) That's why I lately do tag boards point to point wiring.

I am glad, though, that I got the proper hand tools both for eyelet and turret boards and while a bit slow, I am able to build them at home.

For the FET - just put a 150K resistor at the end of your dropping string to simulate the load. Works fine in couple of my amps.

Niki
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks Niki. I wasn't going to build anymore amps as I bought a kemper earlier this year!!! I love the Kemper but there's something about a real tube amp that's hard to explain :D

I had the Chassis laying around, I'd tried to sell it but had no takers, also had a box of bits left over form previous builds so I thought 'sod it, I'll build a #124'

just waiting for my transformers coming from Italy. InMadOut are making them to spec for me, they did my bluesmaster and they're superb Transformers , really , really great.

any thought on the relay wiring question?

Marcus
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Yep, I used Savino (inmadout) transformers on quite a few occasions already. And recommend him to everyone in Europe. Never fails to deliver and knows his stuff inside out.

I played Kemper few times, sounds fine, not quite there yet for me.

I dont recall relays wiring on top of my head, sorry. Will look into later, if someone doesnt gets on it sooner.

Will follow this build. And hope for some sound samples at the end of it :)

Niki
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Nice start! I'll keep my eyes peeled for this one. I love this circuit!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Sven

Post by Sven »

Which schematic and layout is used? I am also going for a 124 nowadays... but there are several schemes which is a bit confusing. Also, mine is going to be 50 Watt one with 2x EL34 in output. I also intend to build in a parallel FX loop similar to Dumbleator, but that also is confusing since there are dozen different schematics (see my question as separate thread). Etc.

This certainly is useful...
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Marcus, on which specs did you order the Transformers? Curious as I'm EU based.
Good luck on your Built, boards looke fine to me!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Marcus, see my updated eyelet board layout for relay connections. I'd put the OD relay jumper NC1-NO2 on the top side.
rogb

Post by rogb »

Nice work on the boards! :D

As said, for the FET sub, from the junction of v1 cathode resistors that would feed the FET>150K 5w> ground. \m/
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

erwin_ve wrote:Marcus, on which specs did you order the Transformers? Curious as I'm EU based.
Good luck on your Built, boards looke fine to me!

I basically ordered a bassman OT 50w for 2x 6L6's with 4,8 and 16 ohm taps,and a custom fender twin power transformer with an additional 6v secondary for the relay boards. Saves having an extra transformer. Using the fender twin choke too.

I'm doing the original, low plate 'classic' #124 which was based on fender twin iron.

Martin, I'll check the files section. Relays still baffle me slightly.

Marcus
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Martin, I'm doing the Classic.

are these two point connected?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook wrote:...are these two point connected?
Yes.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Nice start on your #124, boards look good.

Mark