Potentiometer Isolation-re grounding

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Koolaide

Potentiometer Isolation-re grounding

Post by Koolaide »

I know this topic has been discussed, and I have used the search function, but I'm still unclear. In prep for Express build I am looking at grounding options. I know I do not want to solder the ground bus to the pots. I am also not sure I want to use RF washers.
But my real question - is it necessary to isolate the pots from the chassis?
My thought being that if you do not isolate the pots from the chassis you still have multiple ground points and the potential for ground loop. I am aware Fender and others used the direct attachment of the pots to the chassis successfully.
What I am thinking is to run a ground buss attached to only one point on the chassis and then attaching the pots and pre-amp grounds to that buss. Of course the power section would be grounded separately.
So do I need to isolate the pots?
All thoughts appreciated.
xtian

Re: Potentiometer Isolation-re grounding

Post by xtian »

None of the three taps on a typical pot are connected to the pot body. The only reason to ground the pot bodies to the chassis is to provide some RF shielding for the pot's internals. Simply fastening the pots to the chassis is enough to accomplish this, because your chassis is connected to earth.

If you WERE going to solder the ground buss to the backs of the pots (not recommended) then you should isolate them all from the chassis, so you can manage the point at which the ground buss connects to the chassis. Not a good technique.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
romberg

Re: Potentiometer Isolation-re grounding

Post by romberg »

Koolaide wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:48 pm What I am thinking is to run a ground buss attached to only one point on the chassis and then attaching the pots and pre-amp grounds to that buss. Of course the power section would be grounded separately.
Even better would be to have only one bus for the entire circuit. Attach the grounds for the power amp at one end, the preamp in the middle and the input jack at the other end. The bus is the ground for the circuit and all circuit current flows on the bus. The bus is connected to the chassis at one point only (the end by the input jack). The chassis (and this includes the pots and anything that touches the chassis) is for safety ground and shielding only.

I've wired every amp I've ever built this way and they are all high gain. I've never had an issue with grounding related noise. See the following chapter from Merlin Blencowe's book. It is the single best explaination for grounding (specific to tube guitar amps) I've ever found:

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Grounding.html

Mike