Looked like classictone will be re-branded "USA Classic" (edit: Does not seem to be the case)

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

T Wilcox

Looked like classictone will be re-branded "USA Classic" (edit: Does not seem to be the case)

Post by T Wilcox »

Saw this on another forum. Appears to be great news
Heres the link from Triode

http://triodeelectronics.com/classictone.html

if you scroll down and look at the ones labeled USA Classic the part numbers and specs are the same
Last edited by T Wilcox on Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Looks like classictone will be re-branded "USA Classic"

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Does that mean that Triode bought the specs data from the company that went under or they've merged with them?

Interesting news.

Edit: Sorry looks like triode is just a seller, someone else has apparently bought up the brand and seems is going to make new USA Classic that are replicas of the classictone ones? Any detail on 'Who' that is other htan someone in Chicago?

Quote from the page:
***COMING SOON! *USA CLASSIC* tm Line of transformers!***
Made in Chicago, using the time honored paper layer wound methods, materials & specs you depend on
~Phil
tUber Nerd!
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

Other than that link from Triode I have not found anything else
I've never noticed before but some of the hammonds have Classictone style part #'s as well. Not sure if they were doing that before?
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I had heard Heyboer bought a bunch of winding equipment from them. Not sure about the IP/Designs.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

This is incorrect. I corresponded with the head of Magnetic Components this morning. There is absolutely no relation. It appears to be an endeavor by Triode, the name similarity is unfortunate but there is no connection to Magnetic Components.
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

Thanks for confirming!
drew

Post by drew »

BarryW wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:27 pm This is incorrect. I corresponded with the head of Magnetic Components this morning. There is absolutely no relation. It appears to be an endeavor by Triode, the name similarity is unfortunate but there is no connection to Magnetic Components.
And yet, if you look at one of the coming-soon USA Classic transformers, it links to a “property of Magnetic Components” specifications page.
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

yes it might, but the main person from Mag Comp clearly and unequivacally said that the "USA Classic" was a surprise to him and that they have nothing to do with it. One would have to guess that somebody is having units built to their specs, which is unfortunate.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Maybe they're just anticipating the name being "free" to use and manage to do that for their own profit... :?
BarryW

Re: Looked like classictone will be re-branded "USA Classic" (edit: Does not seem to be the case)

Post by BarryW »

Triode reports that they are working with another Chicago transformer manufacturer to recreate some of the Classictone line to the same specs, materials and paper wound methods.
Masco

Re: Looked like classictone will be re-branded "USA Classic" (edit: Does not seem to be the case)

Post by Masco »

It appears that all the specs for the CT transformers on the MC site have been taken down. Hopefully people copied that spreadsheet that was going around that someone was kind enough to put together.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Anyone care to post that... I missed it.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
G Ruby

Post by G Ruby »

Be careful with Triode, they have a somewhat sketchy past. I lost a couple hundred bucks to them a few years ago, my order was only partially filled. They communicated with me for a short while, then just went silent. Others noticed as well. They seemed to disappear altogether, then, like magic, they were back in business. I will not trade with them again. YMMV.

Too bad Joe has hung it up for good, I was hoping maybe this rumor of the return of ClassicTone might have merit. I guess it is not to be. I’m sitting on about 2 dozen amps worth of ClassicTone iron, after that I’ll be in search of a new go-to. Mercury Magnetics are great but seem unnecessarily pricey. Heyboer and Hammond seem most likely.
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

dorrisant wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:17 pm Anyone care to post that... I missed it.
FYI, All the spec sheets can still be accessed through the wayback machine
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

G Ruby wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 pm Be careful with Triode, they have a somewhat sketchy past. I lost a couple hundred bucks to them a few years ago, my order was only partially filled. They communicated with me for a short while, then just went silent. Others noticed as well. They seemed to disappear altogether, then, like magic, they were back in business. I will not trade with them again. YMMV.
This happened to me exactly as well. I will never do business with them again. Buyer beware.